Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Re-wiring my '73
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
estwing
She hasn't ran in 8 years and when I collected her from my dad's barn, i discovered that the damn barn mice chewed all up and down the main wiring harness! mad.gif

I know there are a few re-manned wiring harnesses out there but since I'm overhauling the engine, transmission, and interior myself, why not do some wiring as well. Plus I want to alleviate some of the high load bearing pathways and be able to add accessories without worrying about melting down my dash.

So I've traced the routes and labeled everything, now I need to find matching wire. Solid colors are not a problem to find but I need stuff like Green w/black stripe, Red w/white swirl, black w/ blue dashes. Even Grainger only had red, black, and white solid colors. And I don't want to have to buy 500' of each. There's at least 13 different color codes.

Anyone know of a resource for this type of wire?
914Sixer
I have a parts of a 73 wiring harness for Free that I cut in half at the firewall. You pay the postage
SirAndy
there's a thread in the classics on how to replace your complete main car harness ...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=13582

i've done it 4 times now, if you have someone to help fiddle it through the two firewall holes, it can be done in an hour or so ...

i got my replacement harness from EASY, but places like HPH and Parts Heaven will sell you complete and unmolested (used) harnesses as well ...
bye1.gif Andy
mightyohm
Unless you want to go into the wiring business I would say to buy a used harness, you will wind up with a better end result.

Waytek (www.waytekwire.com) sells striped wire if you special order it, but you are going to have to buy a large minimum order (several hundred feet). The money adds up pretty fast.

orange914
QUOTE(estwing @ May 12 2008, 11:01 AM) *

She hasn't ran in 8 years and when I collected her from my dad's barn, i discovered that the damn barn mice chewed all up and down the main wiring harness! mad.gif

if you DO reharness it, makeSURE you use a 73 harness. i've read of so many differences year to year. even my early 73 harness may be different from later 73 (post 1000ish). i dont think the 2.0's are any different than the 1.7's that year, but best to check with some one like jeff bowlsby here. beerchug.gif

mike
914Sixer
Yes, Mike is correct about the 73 harness. They made the change late in the production run of the 73's just before the 74 model start up. They probably ran out of 73 harnesses and started using the later one.
orange914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 13 2008, 11:51 AM) *

Yes, Mike is correct about the 73 harness. They made the change late in the production run of the 73's just before the 74 model start up. They probably ran out of 73 harnesses and started using the later one.

even worse, some owners of the first 1000ish (check your vin) are reportedly having 72' main harnesses, i'm not sure of our early 73.

fun, fun, fun blink.gif
gopack
I have had similar thoughts about re-manufacturing the entire car's wiring harness with the proper color coded and striped wires as well. maybe if we get 5 - 10 individual masochists together, we can all order a portion of the correct wires, and then send a aliquot of it to each of the people on the list.... kind of like a christmas cookie exchange! that way each person buys 1/10 of the needed wires, and because of the minimum order size, there is enough to go around to the entire "group" Possible? or am I a dreamer?
estwing
QUOTE(gopack @ May 14 2008, 10:21 AM) *

I have had similar thoughts about re-manufacturing the entire car's wiring harness with the proper color coded and striped wires as well. maybe if we get 5 - 10 individual masochists together, we can all order a portion of the correct wires, and then send a aliquot of it to each of the people on the list.... kind of like a christmas cookie exchange! that way each person buys 1/10 of the needed wires, and because of the minimum order size, there is enough to go around to the entire "group" Possible? or am I a dreamer?

I'm up for that. I'm so torn between wanting to throw it all back together and drive it and taking the time (and money) to do things right. I finally have a job that can support my addiction so I'm leaning toward the latter. Plus it'll be winter before I get the engine and tranny back together....yet another dilemma (Raby upgrade and taller 5th or keep stock). So why not strip the car, fix rust, paint, re-wire and reassemble....and not get to drive it for 2 more years sad.gif
FourBlades

I would also be up for a group wire buy. The harness in my 73 was cut off anywhere people could steal something from the car. This may be heresy,
but has anyone used something like a generic harness from Painless?
I am going to need to either get a used harness, make my own, or go
with a Painless harness here soon.

John
SirAndy
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Aug 20 2008, 08:40 AM) *

This may be heresy, but has anyone used something like a generic harness from Painless?

I'm not sure you'd want to do that unless you're building a dedicated race car. confused24.gif

Like i said earlier in this thread, i bought a used, but complete and unmolested main wire harness for my car for $100 from the local dismantler.
EASY http://www.easypor.com/

The harness included every single wire and connector found in a 914. With two people, it'll take you two or three hours to switch it out.

Can you match that (time and money) with any other solution?
popcorn[1].gif Andy
gopack
I think we should also consider buying as many of the proper connections as we can find as well! If we have several masochists in the same area, a harness building get together could make a tedious job easier and more fun!
ClayPerrine
Naaaa.. just be a CSOB and buy all white wire in different gauges. Then do what the factory did for the injection harnesses. Stamp numbers on the ends so you can match them up.

biggrin.gif

It would also confuse the hell out of anyone trying to hotwire your car. happy11.gif
AvalonFal
QUOTE(estwing @ May 12 2008, 02:01 PM) *

I know there are a few re-manned wiring harnesses out there but since I'm overhauling the engine, transmission, and interior myself, why not do some wiring as well. Plus I want to alleviate some of the high load bearing pathways and be able to add accessories without worrying about melting down my dash.

So I've traced the routes and labeled everything, now I need to find matching wire. Solid colors are not a problem to find but I need stuff like Green w/black stripe, Red w/white swirl, black w/ blue dashes. Even Grainger only had red, black, and white solid colors. And I don't want to have to buy 500' of each. There's at least 13 different color codes.

Anyone know of a resource for this type of wire?

Try eagleday.com. The site says they sell colored and striped wire by the meter.

Paul
FourBlades

I think I will take Andy's advice and get a used harness...that will make it easier
on anyone working on the car down the road.

I am still masochist enough to help out with building all new harnesses...

John

markb
sww914 will be pulling the harness from a 73 soon. You might check with him.
sww914
I cut it out yesterday, it was junk. 3 places where the mice had eaten through the insulation and too many shitty stereo and alarm system installs.
I wouldn't ave given it away, it would cause more problems than it would solve.
It will be a dedicated racecar so I'll buy a painless harness or something like it.
SirAndy
Well, it looks like the prices for unmolested 914 main harnesses have gone up since i bought mine 5 years ago ... rolleyes.gif

The current quote i got today for a unmolested, complete 914 main Harness (any year) is $400 ...
cheer.gif Andy
Richard Casto
I also was all ready to buy wire and build a new harness. Maybe even start making and selling them. But the fact that you can still get used harnesses for less than it would take to construct one killed that idea.

Andy, I am not sure about the $400 amount, but back in May I bought two different harnesses for about $150 each. I am going to clean them both up and use the one that ends up testing out the best.
tracks914
I just did the 73 harness (about 4 times) in my P2. I bought 2 different ones and neither one was the same as the one I took out. The one I ended up using had no rear defroster wires and one wire was a different color than the original. I checked on the print and found it went to the same place so I used it.
BTW with the rear window out on a shell of a car, I can install a harness in about 1 hour bu myself. I started to get really good at it. With help I'm sure I could do it in 40 minutes. Just go slow, work the wires smoothly and DON"T pull too hard. It will all fit with patience.
For the record, I had left my original harness in the car while restoring it and burned it while welding. headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.