Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My fuches restoration underway
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
biggrin.gif So I started yesterday. I pulled off the rubber, (weel it was the garage down the street) but I did pull the valve stems out. smile.gif Next i washed the wheels with a little Gunk engine bright. Next I used aircraft aluminum Paint remover...2 coats with a soft brillo. They looke pretty good already. THEN I used the oven off three coats 10 min each. I have no idea what i am dooing But I washed them good after and dryed them with a towl. That is how far I got ....

The look absolutly terrible sad.gif but not for long smile.gif

Im still not sure If I got all the anidize off, the only way to know for sure is to start with the polish compound right. Then it will be obvious right?
jsayre914
Here is where Im at currently
VaccaRabite
make sure none of them are cracked before you get too far into them. I seem to recall that the 4 bolt fuchs are crack prone.

Zach
gopack
The easy off (if is the lye [or sodium hydroxide] type) is to remove the anodization. The only way to get the anodization off of aluminum is to use a strong base such as lye. As I understandit, the newer formulations of easy off no longer have lye in them, so check the label.
Also, and again , I am not sure, but I think that the black areas on some 5 lug fuchs is black annodized, but your 4 lug ones look as if it is painted based upon the pics.

EDIT:
looks like the "heavy duty Easy-off still contains lye!
easy off
jsayre914
Does this mean I need another coat of Easy Off sad.gif
or
Is this just what it looks like after
jcd914
I am sorry if if I am hijacking this thread but this seemed to fit in here.

I am getting a set of 2.0L Fuchs wheels with a couple of 914s I am buying and the PO has bead blasted 2 of them and then polished 1 spoke on each wheel.

I don't think bead blasting is a good idea with alloy wheels but I am thinking I am going to have to bead blast the other 2 wheels and polish all the spoke to get a full set that match.

Any thoughts on how to salvage this set of wheels?

Is bead blasting OK and I am out in left field?

Do I just sell them to some one else?

Thanks
Jim
Lavanaut
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ May 14 2008, 11:18 AM) *
Im still not sure If I got all the anidize off, the only way to know for sure is to start with the polish compound right.

Silly question: do you know that these are real Fuchs? I ask because they've got black backgrounds, which often means they're repros (like the ones on my car dry.gif). If they're not authentic, they may not be anodized... idea.gif

QUOTE(jcd914 @ May 14 2008, 11:59 AM) *
I am sorry if if I am hijacking this thread but this seemed to fit in here.

Why do people do this? Why not just start your own thread? confused24.gif
jsayre914
Silly question: do you know that these are real Fuchs? I ask because they've got black backgrounds, which often means they're repros (like the ones on my car dry.gif). If they're not authentic, they may not be anodized... idea.gif

All five have a VW stamp on the back
zymurgist
Good job! Wanna do my tail dragger wheels too? laugh.gif
Eric_Shea

This is exactly why I recommend taking them to a local anodizing shop and have then de-anodize them. I've refinished over 20 Fuchs wheels. The shop that I used to anodize them de-anodized them for free.

Bead blasting is OK if they use the right media. If its sand then NO. You will have some serious polishing to do to correct that. Plastic and walnut works fine. Finer particles like glass are even better.
r_towle
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ May 14 2008, 02:52 PM) *

or

Now, prior to sanding and polishing, wash the wheels with a heavy mix of Borax and water. If you find Boraxo...that will do..If you can find straight borax, that is better.

It will bring them back to the correct color and rid you of the blacken staining that Lye produces...

then, soap and water...mild car soap.
then you are all set to start sanding and polishing...

Good luck.

Rich
jsayre914
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 14 2008, 08:21 PM) *

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ May 14 2008, 02:52 PM) *

or

Now, prior to sanding and polishing, wash the wheels with a heavy mix of Borax and water. If you find Boraxo...that will do..If you can find straight borax, that is better.

It will bring them back to the correct color and rid you of the blacken staining that Lye produces...

then, soap and water...mild car soap.
then you are all set to start sanding and polishing...

Good luck.

Rich

beerchug.gif
quadracerx
I am usually all about do it yourself...but does anyone know who does the best job polishing...at a reasonable cost? smilie_pokal.gif

If there is someone in the Seattle area...that would be great for me.... biggrin.gif

Thanks....

Steve
Smitty911
MagMasters in Santa Ana, Ca. By far the best polishers around. They won't gind off so much aluminum as to make them unusable.

I'd never recommended Bead Blasting Aluminum, dependant on the media and pressure you could PEEN over any Cracks or Problem areas.

Non-destructive Inspection days, sorry.

Smitty

KELTY360
QUOTE(quadracerx @ May 14 2008, 09:29 PM) *

I am usually all about do it yourself...but does anyone know who does the best job polishing...at a reasonable cost? smilie_pokal.gif

If there is someone in the Seattle area...that would be great for me.... biggrin.gif

Thanks....

Steve

This shop does a great job of polishing for a very reasonable price. It's at the north end of Boeing Field

Show Quality Metal Finishing
Don Meth
206-762-6717
1115 S. Elizabeth St.
Seattle WA 98108
jsayre914
biggrin.gif I got my supplies........................

.........to be continued............
Lavanaut
A moment of silence for the clown that gave his nose for your wheel project. ph34r.gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ May 15 2008, 03:06 PM) *

A moment of silence for the clown that gave his nose for your wheel project. ph34r.gif

av-943.gif I was gonna give it back (polished)
flippa
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ May 15 2008, 11:02 AM) *

biggrin.gif
.........to be continued............

popcorn[1].gif
jsayre914
Thought I would update my thread......

I finished polishing. taped em up, and I just put a coat of etech a sketch biggrin.gif

Almost there!
r_towle
IC you have the most important tool....BEER

What is etch a scetch?
Etching primer???
Please let us know what treatment you are using for the painted portion..
names, coats, brand etc...
I would like to see if you find a color that matches correctly.

Oh, also, what did you do step by step, and how long did it take???

Rich
jsayre914
I have about 4 hours on each wheel (about) they are probably not going to be perfect, but they are going to sparkle piratenanner.gif

the etching primer and tape were from FLAPS and the black satin was from LOWES. The part that really sped things up is the powerball......
.......its awesome. I might even buy another one for waxing the car.

Anyway I painted the wheels few mins ago, now I will eat PIZZA.
KELTY360
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ May 21 2008, 08:06 AM) *

Thought I would update my thread......

I finished polishing. taped em up, and I just put a coat of etech a sketch biggrin.gif

Almost there!

Nice work.
jsayre914
TA DA

I just got my center caps from i s p they look great. i will take the final photos of wheels on the car. dropped the wheels off this morning to have them mounted and balanced.

they are probably far from perfect, but i just saved a lot of money biggrin.gif
73Phoenix20
Yes, the Fuchs look super nice...

But, tell me why you when to all of that work to make real Fuchs look like fake "fooks"???

The 2.0 Fuchs did not have a black background... unless they were the fake non forged wheels that do crack... I have never seen a real Fuchs crack, unless it was smashed into a curb or the equivalent... and I have owned at least ten sets over the years....
PeeGreen 914
I've seen lots of reall one that have had this done. I think it makes them look a little less blingy and it looks much better with certain colors.
jsayre914
QUOTE(73Phoenix20 @ May 22 2008, 06:21 PM) *

Yes, the Fuchs look super nice...

But, tell me why you when to all of that work to make real Fuchs look like fake "fooks"???

The 2.0 Fuchs did not have a black background... unless they were the fake non forged wheels that do crack... I have never seen a real Fuchs crack, unless it was smashed into a curb or the equivalent... and I have owned at least ten sets over the years....

"Bueaty is in the eyes of the beholder"
YES they do look good with polished pedals and etched background. If that is what they are supposed to look like. but...... I love the way they look with black background. I cant help it. I think they look awesome this way.

Thank you for the compliment beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
Gint
Not bad. How much time and $ do you have in that project?
jsayre914
QUOTE(Gint @ May 22 2008, 06:50 PM) *

Not bad. How much time and $ do you have in that project?

Powerball 25$
polish and soap and compound >20$
tape and paint and etching 15$
beer 20$+

paid a local garage to unmount tires 3$ a wheel = 15$
local guys to mount balance and new stems 17$ wheel + 85$

totall project cost 180$
totall hours 4hrs a wheel X 5 = 20hrs

I then bought the center caps billet aluminum with stickers from isp 115$
(they look awesome to me) mine were all F@#% up.
r_towle
I think your wheels look great.
You did a wonderful job.

I am bummed though...I was really hoping to have you find a cheap paint that would match the original whiteish color.

Does anyone know of a color that would be correct for the stock wheels?

Rich
jonferns
The wheels look great, can't wait to see 'em mounted!
p914
Nice looking wheels. I preferred the all shiny look when I did mine. $20 per wheel media blast, $25 per wheel polish by a truck wheel polishing guy.Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
I am bummed though...I was really hoping to have you find a cheap paint that would match the original whiteish color.

Anodizing.

As our cars and the specialty wheels like 2.0 alloys increase in value... nevermind. sad.gif
ericread
They didn't turn out too well. You might as well ship them to me right away to get them off your mind. confused24.gif

OK, the truth is they look great. Very nice job! smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.