Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: back firing and kinda missing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
Cruising down the feeway and everything is fine. Doing about 80 running like a top. Then...feels like it's missing a little and it is back firing, spitting through the carbs. The thing is, it accelerates fine as though nothing is wrong. Only time it happens is at a steady RPM. I'm thinking a carb problem. Could it be a clogged jet or something? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. It's a 73 with a brand new 2.2 with webers. Only about 500 miles on the new engine. Very frustrating but then what is life without a little 30 year old German sports car?? headbang.gif
Cheers, Elliot
seanery
it's probably a fuel related problem, but you knew that already.

When my motor was given to me, it did that quite a bit, even died a couple times at the Ramble. I just kept cleaning out the jets. By the time I got home whatever it was (probably crap in the tank, car sat for long periods without use) was gone.
Gint
I assume this fresh motor has decent carbs? Rebuilt or something? Clean out the jets.
Steve Thacker
I know that some may disagree with my method of cleaning out carbs, when something appears to be stuck. I usually hand rev the engine up momentary to a blister rpm (pulse) and then place my hand over the carb intake as I'm stabbing the gas, then pull my hand away at the moment of strong vacuum. This usually clears out small blockages that need a nudge.
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. I also think it is a fuel problem. I don't know how it could have gotten clogged. Brand new engine, carbs, fuel pump and filter, fuel line and cleaned out fuel tank. Cleaning out the jets seems to be the easiest to start trouble shooting the problem so that's where I will start.
Cheers, Elliot
J P Stein
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 21 2004, 12:34 PM)
I don't know how it could have gotten clogged. Brand new engine, carbs, fuel pump and filter, fuel line and cleaned out fuel tank.

Heh, that's when it happens.

I had problems with clogged jets on my 2.7.....2-3 times in a few months after getting it running. None in the past 18 mos or so.

Little pieces of fud ...or FOD, if you prefer, nesting in the idle jets.
URY914
Also check the nuts on the manifolds and carb mounting hardware. They can work loose and you'll get air getting sucked in. Happens on mine form time to time.

Paul
redshift
I know with Fords, and Shelbys, I'd have someone stand on the gas, and dump a gallon of hot soapy water down the carbs, slowly.

Fuel filter.

M
SirAndy
QUOTE(Steve Thacker @ Jan 21 2004, 06:42 AM)
then place my hand over the carb intake as I'm stabbing the gas

ever seen flames coming out a carb during "backfire"?

i wouldn't want my hand anywhere near that. wink.gif
Andy
914ghost
It could also be that they just aren't synched right. Y'know you leave a little jamb nut loose on one side and the linkage changes length / position.
AT steady throttle the vacuum difference between the cyl's can cause running like that- one cyl' bank wants to push harder than the other, causing more vacuum on the side with the thottle plates not opened far enough, then that side can run rich.
It's just another thing on the list to check, likely on engines what's had some work done recently too.
Also, timing on my car does that- if timing is off it pulls great as its advancing but when the springs in the dist. pull back (retard) when you let off- or constant thottle- it get all rough, worse at lower rpm.
Whatever it is it prolly aint too bad.
Robert O
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.