Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For those of you with harnesses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
What do you do with the extra material? My old belts had a ton of extra but I just kept it on there. I want this to look clean and am thinking that you can just cut it and burn it to seal it? confused24.gif
Allan
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ May 16 2008, 01:36 AM) *

I want this to look clean and am thinking that you can just cut it and burn it to seal it? confused24.gif

Unless I hear otherwise, that's what I'm gonna do...
plymouth37
I haven't done it myself but if you melt the belts to ensure that they dont unravel I really dont see how it would negatively effect safety.
Any one have any good pictures of harnesses in a teener?
purple
I think that PCA would immediately DQ you from any racing if they saw this.

Do you guys anchor your harnesses to the body, I think THAT is what you can do with the extra material biggrin.gif
Allan
QUOTE(purple @ May 16 2008, 08:25 AM) *

I think that PCA would immediately DQ you from any racing if they saw this.

Why?

It won't affect the integrity of the system.

Maybe they would look at it as an illegal modification?
purple
why the hell does PCA do anything they do? arbitrary and they want to get the 'not the real' ones off the track so they can drag their asses all over the place ?

wow, i sound bitter
championgt1
av-943.gif
plymouth37
why the hell does PCA do anything they do? arbitrary and they want to get the 'not the real' ones off the track so they can drag their asses all over the place ?

av-943.gif
sean_v8_914
"they" are guys that volunteer their time to set up events and deliberate on the facts while trying to make decisions that make it safe for all. Did you enjoy your last PCA event? did you help out with setting up or putting it all away?
Your harness installation instructions will tell you what the min safe length past buckle should be. a heat gun does a cleaner looking job ot cut belt termination
PeeGreen 914
Thanks Sean. Anyone happen to know what the amount may be. My Sparco belts didn't have installation instructions sad.gif

Our local PCA guys wouldn't DQ me. I am good friends with the AX chair and the head saftey tech. In fact they both drive 914s piratenanner.gif
DanT
QUOTE(purple @ May 16 2008, 07:36 AM) *

wow, i sound bitter

and that is exactly why we have problems....pre-conceived notions as to how we are looked upon.
the PCA rules have nothing to do with 914s as individual cars. All cars are treated equally within the rules structure. Please point out where the 914 is specifically called out with regard to more stringent or arbitrary rules.

If you show up to a PCA event with a rusty, multicolored panels, puking oil, then you are probably going to be looked down upon...
I don't care what kind of Porsche it is, if it looks like what I just described, then I don't give it the time of day, and I certainly make sure that it meets all the rules.
Drive post-2-1117899824.gif then get treated like post-2-1117899824.gif
Show pride in your car when you show up to an event and you will be treated accordingly huh.gif
GeorgeRud
It's been my experience that most PCA tech people are very fair and want to keep the event safe and incident free. I spent quite a few years running our region's driver's ed events at a local racetrack, and the only thing I wanted to see is everyone driving their cars home at night in one piece.

There certainly are cars out there that are not safe, ask any instructor about some of their wild rides in novice's cars! The point is that you want to make these things as safe as possible, not give the participants a lot of grief when they've spent considerable time and money to attend the event.

If you read the harness mounting instructions, you will also see that the popular harness mount bars that run between the upper seatbelt attachments don't meet the letter of the law, but how many of you are running them (or have in the past). Safety has to be a continually improving area!
TimT
Yes you can remove the extra material, use either a hot knife, or melt the end after you have made the cut.

Leave enough material though to do the "double wrap" as illustrated in club race rules. After you have completed step four you can trim the excess.

PeeGreen 914
Yeah, I ended up calling one of my buddies that knows the SCCA rules to the T and he explained exactly that. Thanks guys.
smj
Glad you got your answer Jon.

As for the PCA, people are people and I've certainly gotten crap and sidelong glances from some folks over the years (for my 944S). Stress "some" -- like people in general, you'll find assclowns in the club if you look for them or are unlucky enough to have them find you. On the other hand, I've found plenty of folks with the latest and greatest from the factory who are jazzed to find out more about the older models, or love to see something they used to own back in the day.

It's our club too. Hell, I've wound up on the board of my local region because it really needed a jump start and some new blood. Slow progress, but the best way to make sure the situation changes is to get in there and help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.