Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Highly considering a good tub.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
So I've had my 75 for about... 4 years now. It's run great, never had sever problems (that weren't caused by me) and has served its purpose well for being a fun autocrosser.

But...

I have made the decision to make a restoration attempt on it this year. That means stripping the paint, body, repairing panels, etc. Every time I've opened the hood its been difficult. To my dismay (when I took the front spoiler off) the car has a nice dent in the middle of the front clip. This isn't the first ding. The whole left-rear fender is beaten to hell and bondo'd back. Front and rear hoods dented as well. Not to mention a non-yielding driver got my left door (now a green 75 door).

As much work as this will take (and money) I may as well find a cherry roller to respray and weld a long kit into. I can strip the (better) chassis and take my time making it look right, inside and out, then transfer my good parts over once the paint job is done.

I can either cut out panels from LBB to reinforce the new tub, or cut it for good parts and sell those (no hell-hole rust, only surface long rust, etc).

What are everyone's thoughts? I know it will be more work and time which isn't a concern, but I dont want to spend 2 months playing master bodyworker on a gone-too-far tub. Thanks smile.gif
r_towle
If you can find a tub...do it.
You can take your time, do it right...and still drive a 914 while your at it.

Rich
iamchappy
Anyway you go about it, it will be more work than you planed for.
SirAndy
a pre '75 roller would get you out of the smog testing ...
shades.gif Andy
Gint
agree.gif with all of the above. Either way will be a boatload of work. start with a new solid tub and you can still be a driver while it's being painted. More time on the road with a 914.
McMark
Keeping a driver will be your best bet. Get a roller if you can.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.