Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time to swap...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike_the_man
Hi all,

I pulled the 914 out this weekend for the first drive of the year, and it was running very poorly at best. I think my 2.0L is finally ready to give up the ghost, so I've decided to swap it out with a good 1.8L I have in a parts car. I'm hoping to save up and buy a kit from Jake for the 2.0L, but in the mean time I want to keep driving.

My question is thus; how straight forward is it to swap from a stock 2.0L with FI to a stock 1.8L with FI? Will the existing wiring in the car hook up to the L-Jet? What all will I need to pull from the donor car (relay board, etc)?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
type47
plug and play....

when removing 2.0L, unplug 12 & 14 pin connectors on relay board (alt plug and I-V connector also of course). 1.8 wiring harness plugs right back in. you could literally have a 1.8L and trans already bolted together with exhaust (and FI system) on the ground ready and do a swap for the drivetrain in the car. out with the old, in with the ..... less old..... you do not need to swap relay boards.
mike_the_man
Thats exactly what I was hoping to hear. So assuming no major disasters, this should be doable in a weekend I'm guessing? Time to get to work, I guess!
messix
dont leave out the ecm and dual relays the are screwed to the battery tray. you need those.
mike_the_man
QUOTE(messix @ May 21 2008, 01:46 PM) *

dont leave out the ecm and dual relays the are screwed to the battery tray. you need those.

Good stuff, I'll make sure to grab those. Is the ECM the 'brain'? I know next to nothing about L-Jet...

Thanks,
Cevan
Screwed to the battery tray are the dual relay and the resistor pack. Your dual relay may have a metal cover (OEM). The one pictured is a replacement. Both the dual relay and the resistor pack plug into the L-Jet FI harness. Your L-jet uses it's own ECU.

Click to view attachment
mike_the_man
Thanks for the pic, that's perfect. I'll make sure to grab everything. Sounds like it should all be pretty straight forward.

Cheers,
purple
you guys are cool that have a stock wiring harness that can support FI.

mine was rekajiggerd by the PO for racing so all unecessary parts were taken off and now it's NOT possible to run FI in my car.

oh well, i love tuning carbs rolleyes.gif
davep
Yes you need everything attached to the engine with the exception of the relay board, and fuel pressure regulator. I'm not sure of the stand for the air cleaner. Is that bolted on or welded to the body? Been a while since I stripped one down.
mike_the_man
QUOTE(davep @ May 22 2008, 11:54 AM) *

Yes you need everything attached to the engine with the exception of the relay board, and fuel pressure regulator. I'm not sure of the stand for the air cleaner. Is that bolted on or welded to the body? Been a while since I stripped one down.

Thanks Dave, I'll keep my eye out for that too. I'm guessing most of that type of stuff should be fairly apparent once I start pulling engines. Both engines are still in their respective cars, so it should be fairly straight forward. I'll just park 'em side by side and swap. My biggest concern was wiring and electrics, but if the 1.8L is plug and play, it sounds like it should be a reasonably easy swap (knock on wood!).

Cheers,
davep
Right, it is about as simple as a six conversion without the oil tank. Everything with the 1.8 has to be transferred over.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.