Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: no tach work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lonnie152
have just carbbed 1974 car. trying to connect tach but it does not work. what does tach wire connect to, dizzy, coil ???? need help asap.
ejm
Tach goes to terminal 1 on the coil. If you're running points this will also be the terminal the wire from the dist goes to.
lonnie152
thanks so much for getting back. am running empi electronic dizzy which has 2 wires red and black. also msd coil. i am really stumped, any help greatly appreciated.
lonnie152
bump... any help???
So.Cal.914
I have an EI, my tach still connects to the switch side of the coil (- ?). But some of

these expensive units I believe need to be hooked up in a spicific way. Someone

will be along shortley, why don't you have a seat. smile.gif
Dave_Darling
Tach goes to the (-) connection on the coil. I don't know what the Empi distributor has for connections; one will be power and one will be the output from the points (or whatever they have that replaces the points). The points signal goes to the (-) connection on the coil, just like the tach does.

--DD
lonnie152
dave-thanks for help. did connection as you mentioned and confirmed signal is getting to tach, but still no work. have checked fuse. could i have somehow blown the tach???what else can i look for, again many thanks for the help.
VaccaRabite
Is it grounding out somewhere along that way?

A tach is pretty simple. As long as it is hooked up to the negative terminal on the coil, you should be functional.

Zach
r_towle
do you own a dwell meter?
If so, hook it up as directed...see if the tach on the dwell meter works.

If it does work, run a long jumper lead from the negative side of the coil to the tach and see if that works.
If it does, you need to trace the stock wire for problems.
If it doesnt, you need a new tach.

Rich
lonnie152
thanks so much for everyone's help which did lead to fixing problem... power wire on back of tach had come off. very simple but i just simply missed it. thanks again to all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.