Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blew up another CV joint...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ericread
QUOTE(jhadler @ Jun 10 2008, 05:26 PM) *

Just thinking out loud here...

Do you run on a particularly grippy surface? Concrete? Race track quality or hard, coarse asphalt? One thing to possibly suspect is flex in the trailing arm or the mounting points. If you're placing a significant side load on the car, and the chassis or suspension is flexing excessively, it's possible you could be placing too much of an axial load on the CV.

That it seems to be occurring on only one side implies a possible external cause.

If this makes sense, I'd check the trailing arms and trailing arm mounts for any signs of flex/fatigue/wear/cracking. Either that, or you're running your courses on part of an oval track, and use the same banked turn at most events... biggrin.gif

Just a thought...

-Josh2

So maybe it would be a lot safer for him to go the opposite direction at the track next time? Seems like you would be dodging traffic all the time???

biggrin.gif
J P Stein
Like HAM I think there is something specific to your car.

I have never broken a CV (yes, I'm knocking wood) and God only knows how many miles are on them. If they were inherently weak I think I would have broken one considering the use I put then to.

I check for slop often by just grabbing the axle and turning back & forth...feeling /listening for movement. There should be at worst a minute amount of slop...none is preferable. To remove them from the splines takes a couple light taps with a punch & hammer.....no slop there. Moly grease, of course.

Not much help here, eh? confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.