Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV Joint Roll Pins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nick mironov
How does one remove the blind roll pins from the CV joint without damaging the roll pins so they can be reused?

And, which CV joint grease is recommended?
Gint
Throw us a bone here Nick! Let's see a picture of your beautiful 914.

I haven't done it, I've installed missing pins but never removed one. I'd probably try a "suitable drift" from the back side of the joint to remove the roll pin.

A good quality Moly grease for the joints. Pelican carries it. As well as a Swepco variety if memory servers me correctly.
nick mironov
I really haven't done too much to the car since my build thread posting, except that I added a Weltmeister front sway bar.

Last weekend I broke a CV joint at the Alameda PCA Autocross. I have ordered the Renegade axle/CV joint kits. I removed the two existing axles and I'm waiting for the new axles/CVs - hope to get them in a week or two.

The CV joint failure was just like the one in Yarin's post.

The roll pin can not be hammered out rom the back, since it is in a blind hole. The attached picture shows a slide-hammer solution from the Pelican Board. It will be easier just to buy new roll pins - they are only $2 each at Pelican.

Click to view attachment

Nick
Allan
Just take one of the cv's to a Napa auto parts store and they can just match them up for you.

I've done it a couple of times. They seem to have tons of different sizes in stock...
Gint
There ya go. And I suspect they would come out easily enough just twisting with vise grips.

Forgot it was a blind hole. Sorry. I don't have one sitting here in front of me.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(nick mironov @ May 26 2008, 11:22 AM) *

The roll pin can not be hammered out from the back, since it is in a blind hole. The attached picture shows a slide-hammer solution from the Pelican Board. It will be easier just to buy new roll pins - they are only $2 each at Pelican.

Nick

"Blind hole"? Not on any 914 CV Joint I've ever seen. Use a 7mm drift.

The Cap'n
nick mironov
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 26 2008, 12:04 PM) *

QUOTE(nick mironov @ May 26 2008, 11:22 AM) *

The roll pin can not be hammered out from the back, since it is in a blind hole. The attached picture shows a slide-hammer solution from the Pelican Board. It will be easier just to buy new roll pins - they are only $2 each at Pelican.

Nick

"Blind hole"? Not on any 914 CV Joint I've ever seen. Use a 7mm drift.

The Cap'n

Oh yeah... It will help to take the dust cover off the back first to expose the other side of the hole. Thanks!

Nick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.