Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: turbo install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
fiid
looks like a nice install!

If CIS does the air metering thing then I think a blowoff would cause it to go rich for a brief moment, however - the blowoff should only release gas when you let the throttle close (to brake or change gear). I don't know if that very brief richness would cause the engine to stutter or not. Would be an interesting experiment.

Turbos rock.
iamchappy
I am thinking of installing the pressure switch below the throttle body in the lower air box that way when it's off throttle the fuel enrichment will stop. and by mounting the CSV below the throttle plate I wont be venting fuel all over the place when the bov opens. I will start slow like 5lbs or 6lbs and see how it all works and slowly build pressure if all is well. I have 2 air fuel ratio meters that will help in tuning it.
iamchappy
Oh I see what your question is, hopefully when the bov lets go off throttle, the pressure will drop the cis metering plate, otherwise maybe it does go rich I will have to ask others how it has effected there air fuel ratio.
iamchappy
I'm back to show you some progress being made on the install. Everything but the cross over pipe and muffler is done. MSD BTM boost retard ignition, fuel enrichment injector, Tilton oil pump to drain the turbo, Hobbs n.o. pressure switch set at 4lbs. to fire the enrichment injector, a Tial bov, A Turbo X boost controller, and a 38mm Tial wastegate. I am using a Flowmaster 3" in 3" out series 50 delta flow muffler as I wished to keep the noise down abit, and a freshly rebuilt Rayjay TO4B turbocharger from the Bae kit. All thats left of the Bae kit that I started out with are, the silicone intake bonnets, the piping and turbocharger.
The crossover pipe fabricator was out sick this last week so I will have to wait till next week to tell you about the test drive.
Here come the pictures.
iamchappy
Did some brake work during the down time
iamchappy
front brake
iamchappy
rear brake
iamchappy
cockpit
iamchappy
controls/gauges
iamchappy
Tilton oil pump for turbo drain, being pumped back to the top of the oil breather.
iamchappy
Pressure switch and boost gauge plumbed into the power assist port.
iamchappy
boost controller and CSV
iamchappy
csv
iamchappy
Flowmaster and Rayjay turbo
iamchappy
Oh ya, pedal board
iamchappy
I have followed a thread on the bird board for sometime now on tubo installs on 3.0 sc engines using the Bae kit with modifications, As they were figureing it all out, I started my installation. I will be running about 8lbs of boost which should make for an exciting ride. My dream car has always been a 914 6 turbo carrera, and it's looks like I am getting pretty darn close to it. givemebeer.gif almost time to celebrate. I think I will start on a Heineken right now,posting all these pictures was a lot of work. beer.gif beerchug.gif givemebeer.gif
Qarl
David,

Sweet job!

smilie_pokal.gif

I gotta come up and visit and go for a ride.

Regards,

Karl
iamchappy
Thanks Karl anytime your welcome to come up and take it for a spin, this is not going to be a garage queen more like a down and dirty street fighter.
How's the house?
rick 918-S
I'm soo sorry I haven't been following this thread, This was going on at the same time I was in a furry to finish my car. I need to go see this this beast. Nice work!
iamchappy
Thanks Rich,

I have had some problems with the turbo passing oil out the exhaust, Originally I thought it was a drain problem, so I built a sump tank, no help, then improved the drain angle, no help, then remounted and plumbed the oil pump lower and tapped drain into lower valve cover, no help, then put in a smaller #3AN line as I thought I
must be over supplying the turbo, no help, put an oil breather in line to oil tank to lessen crank case pressure. Then fabricated a fitting so I could use a nitrous injector jet to use as a restrictor, first with a .59 then a .36, a little help but not cured and I dont like the thought of restricting the turbo from getting oil.
Conclusion, I am sending my rebuilt turbo back to Turbo City who did the rebuild and have them check it out, there is something not right with IT. Not my install. I have talked to others with the same turbo on the same engine that have run it unrestricted and have never had an oil issue. Other than that, the car runs great I will post a video of a test drive soon, you guys will be blown away by how quick I run out of gears.
My next move will be getting the body work done and start making it look pretty. As far as performance I am totally satisfied with the results much more than I expected, I ran against a kid on a crouch rocket bike last week starting from 2nd gear I pulled a few car lengths on him when I hit 5th, when we slowed down he looked over at me laughing shaking his head, he pointed his finger at the teener and mouthed WTF. I would never of been in the race had I still been running the stock 3.0.
I have had no problems at 10lbs of boost, the fuel enrichment and the timing retard all are working great together. I would like to get a couple of pulls on the dyno done over at elite motorsports, to see what the numbers are.
a.munoz3
i have a little 1.7 L engine with twin turbo, fuel injection, and NOS. My dad gets mad when this little 4 cyl. goes toe to toe with his v8 conversion. I guess i am just a lucky 16 yr old kid
aircooledboy
Great job Chappy. smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

I understand the things you talk about (mostly), but to have the skill not only to build this baby, but to think this stuff out and troubleshoot as you describe??? pray.gif

It is an over used word, but I literally mean your work here is awesome. Truely awe inspiring. beer.gif
Andyrew
a.munoz3

Um..

I dont know about anyone else, but I wana see pics! That sounds cool man!

BTW Welcome!
iamchappy
pictures/
iamchappy
pictures/
iamchappy
pictures/
iamchappy
picture
iamchappy
picture
iamchappy
picture
seanery
you're welcome biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.