Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wanna9146
Went to look at a '71 /4 today. Guy was asking $3500 and kept bugging me to come look at the car. I figured for that price, it should be halfway decent, no?

unsure.gif No.

I asked if it had rust. "One little bubble in the drivers door. Hmmm....OK. I need a (less) rust-free body for my /6 conversion.

He said it runs good, but there was a muffler leak. When I arrived he had it idling in the driveway. Pop, pop, pop....backfiring through the exhaust & carbs. I told him to turn it off before he does any damage. Sounds like an issue with the valves! "No"...it's just the muffler. confused24.gif "My friend works for Porsche and told me it was just the muffler". OK dude, whatever.

I pulled out the flashlight and my ice-pick. Anything & everything that could be rusted, was rusted...lower firewall, hell-hole, front suspension mounts, etc., etc. Major bubbles in all panels. Lousy interior.

I showed him all the issues and politely offered $500 for parts. He got offended and covered it up saying he'll get more on E-Bay.

WTF.gif Is everyone blind? I'm no expert, but I saw all the rust right away.

Anywhooo....keep your eyes peeled on E-Bay for a "mint" 71 red 914 in SoFLA... rolleyes.gif
Root_Werks
I have wondered when the day would come when 914 parts cars would go for 356 parts car prices. Looks like our little cars might be following the same trend as the 356 to a degree. I have seen some half decent 914's around here that would make great parts cars for under $2k.

confused24.gif
scotty b
idea.gif Got any pics to post so no one here bids on it dry.gif
Gint
agree.gif 'Cause the sad part is, he probably will get more on ebay.
Wanna9146
But...the guy wasn't selling it as a parts car. He described it (over the phone) as a nice running car in great condition! rolleyes.gif He thought he had a prize.

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 27 2008, 04:41 PM) *

I have wondered when the day would come when 914 parts cars would go for 356 parts car prices. Looks like our little cars might be following the same trend as the 356 to a degree. I have seen some half decent 914's around here that would make great parts cars for under $2k.

confused24.gif

Wanna9146
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 27 2008, 04:50 PM) *

idea.gif Got any pics to post so no one here bids on it dry.gif

Nah...it's red with giant Porsche badges on the front quarters.
JRust
Typical! I found a 73 2.0 car under a tarp. It was hiding behind a Barbor shop in town. I went in to ask who's it was. Guy said it was his & he bought it new. I asked if he wanted to get rid of it.
He says sure but it won't be cheap.

I say well tell me more about the car. Does it run?
Yes! Well it did about 5 years ago when I parked it. I heard a load clunk from the motor so I turned it off. I'm sure it was just something from the road though.

Did you try to start it after that? Well NO.

I see under the tarp some rust along the bottom of the doors & by the windshield (peaked under the tarp). Any other rust? NO

How about the battery tray & under it? Oh the battery tray isn't there any more!

Why not? It fell off one day when my battery got to heavy screwy.gif
How about the trunks? There is some rust in the rear tunk but the front is good

I say well it sounds like a parts car. Would you take $500 for it (it did have 5 4-lug fuchs). He says hell I can get 2k for the wheels alone. The engine is worth another $1500. It has rare dual carbs which are worth another $1200 blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif I tell the guy sI just sold a nice set of Fuchs for $350 & his engine worth maybe $250 as it sits. Not even worth my time to pull. I say I wish you luck with the sale. Honestly the only reason I offered you the $500 was because you are the orginal owner. I can respect that as I love these cars. I have 2 of your cars at home in better shape that I paid less for. I tried to be nice about it but the guy pretty much asked me to leave. confused24.gif
Whatever numbnuts poke.gif
Wanna9146
QUOTE(JRust @ May 27 2008, 07:58 PM) *

He says sure but it won't be cheap.

What makes me av-943.gif even more are people who say "It's not for sale! Will be worth big bucks someday! (as the weeds grow up through the floorboards)... -or- "I'm going to fix it up when I get more time!".

P.S. - I notice you have a Buick V-8 in your 914. I have a re-built Buick 455 for sale (cheap!)...will it fit? Need more torque?
Root_Werks
Everytime we drive to see my wifes folks I see a little yellow 914 sitting under a semi-truck-trailer just covered in moss. It's pretty much green now. Been there for at least 7 years, never moved. Tried to talk to the owner a couple of times years ago. Nope, gonna be worth bucks some day.

Yup, they are everywhere. This one is just about totally rotted through. You can see plant life through the windows coming up the floor boards. Ugh, another 914 gone.
rhodyguy
there are still cheaper parts cars out there. just have to be looking when ever you're out and about. jamie and mark seem to be on the hunt all the time. the telltale shape under a tarp. i've been watching a few. i wait for the grass gauge to get to doorbell ringing height. hopefully the wife answers the door.

k

Eric_Shea
It fell off one day when my battery got to heavy

av-943.gif Gotta watch those batteries...
sixnotfour
Not for sale , gonna restore it blink.gifI dont think so.
say hello to my little friend
shelby/914
Guess we have all had the same experience. A friend and I went to look at a so called daily driver advertised for around $2k as I recall. It was just about to break in half, had Honda buckets and a Chevy steering wheel. The flapper boxes had been replaced with flex pipe from what looked like water heater vent pipe so the heat was always on. No rear trunk latch of any kind. The sad part was no camera. The scarry part was that he was driving it to work routinely where he is an aircraft mechanic. We advised him that the car appeared unsafe to drive and it should be parted out. I think my friend offered him $500 for it to get it off the street but he said that he was sure some teenager would give him a lot more since it was a Porsche. sawzall-smiley.gif
brant
I've got a line on a -6 that has been sitting indoors (air port hanger) for 30 years untouched.

guy said 15 years ago he was going to fix it up for his daughter to take to college.

she long since graduated.

at least its in doors.
I'm guessing the motor and rubber are wasted
maybe the recession is the time to bug him again...

got another line on an original owner 72 in silver
was parked in 74 or 75
I looked at it 3 weeks ago and it has no hell hole rot.
but that driveline has really sat a while.

it got towed out of the barn to the mechanic a month back
the mechanic is guestimating 3500 to get it running again
owner is scarred off and thinking about selling
did I mention its 29,000 original miles?
has overspray (must of been hit on the front fender) and needs a full paint/everything.

I've been waiting 20 years on these 2 cars so far.

brant
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(brant @ May 27 2008, 10:42 PM) *

I've got a line on a -6 that has been sitting indoors (air port hanger) for 30 years untouched.

guy said 15 years ago he was going to fix it up for his daughter to take to college.

she long since graduated.

at least its in doors.
I'm guessing the motor and rubber are wasted
maybe the recession is the time to bug him again...

got another line on an original owner 72 in silver
was parked in 74 or 75
I looked at it 3 weeks ago and it has no hell hole rot.
but that driveline has really sat a while.

it got towed out of the barn to the mechanic a month back
the mechanic is guestimating 3500 to get it running again
owner is scarred off and thinking about selling
did I mention its 29,000 original miles?
has overspray (must of been hit on the front fender) and needs a full paint/everything.

I've been waiting 20 years on these 2 cars so far.

brant

I have the same situation going with a 1970 911S. At least the body and interior have been kept in good same. It has not moved an inch in the 14 years I have known them due to an electrical problem.
dw914er
there is an original 6 near my house. It has been there since i remember (so over 14 years for sure)

its pretty much a pile now. Buddy of mine asked him about it, saw that it was probably never going to make it on the road, and made him an offer to try and save it. The owner said he wanted like 5k (i think, it was a very high number) for it.

yea, its a 6, but with enough rust, it still doesnt make it worth that much
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(dw914er @ May 27 2008, 10:48 PM) *

there is an original 6 near my house. It has been there since i remember (so over 14 years for sure)

its pretty much a pile now. Buddy of mine asked him about it, saw that it was probably never going to make it on the road, and made him an offer to try and save it. The owner said he wanted like 5k (i think, it was a very high number) for it.

yea, its a 6, but with enough rust, it still doesnt make it worth that much

Oh, but you could take it and a rust free 914 to the Dr. and he could make it a good 6 for you again av-943.gif
dw914er
hahahaha, good point jon!

i think the vin rusted off that 6 though. It has been there i think since before i was born. I just remember is sitting there as a kid, and it hasnt moved since ive had a memory.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.