Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question About shift rods
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomamafone
So here's the question,

We pulled the shift rod from the tunnel today ('71 2.0L) and noticed that it had probably a 5 degree bend in it about 6 inches from the rear end of the rod. We have started searching for a new one assuming that it was damaged at one time (has a gnarly dent in it where the bend is) and have found some shift rods with the bend and some that are completely straight.

Did some come with a bend to compensate for the tail/side shifter difference or maybe different firewall hole positions? Or are the bend ones simply... bent?

Thanks for the help!

Tom
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(tomamafone @ May 27 2008, 11:49 PM) *

So here's the question,

We pulled the shift rod from the tunnel today ('71 2.0L) and noticed that it had probably a 5 degree bend in it about 6 inches from the rear end of the rod. We have started searching for a new one assuming that it was damaged at one time (has a gnarly dent in it where the bend is) and have found some shift rods with the bend and some that are completely straight.

Did some come with a bend to compensate for the tail/side shifter difference or maybe different firewall hole positions? Or are the bend ones simply... bent?

Thanks for the help!

Tom

Good question.

I believe there should be a bend near the end. Without seeing yours it is hard to say.
Bartlett 914
Hare is a picture on one of mine. I believe this one is good.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=61676&hl=
r_towle
Is it a side shifter?
If so, no bend.

Rich

QUOTE(tomamafone @ May 28 2008, 03:49 AM) *

So here's the question,

Thanks for the help!

Tom

tomamafone
So to clarify a little, I'm Speaking of the shift rod that is internal to the car that sits in the tunnel and bridges the gap between the sift nob and firewall. pictures coming (racergreg). And the Trans is a side shifter.

Thanks!
r_towle
inside shift rod NO BEND

Rich
JWest
The forward shift rod for side-shift is straight.

The bend you are describing sounds like the result of too long of a seatbelt mounting bolt being forced into the shift rod.
racergreg
James you are the genius smash.gif

Based on the dimple on the inside of the bend, I think this is exactly what happened. Thanks for the insight! pray.gif

By the way, we are using your shifter and it is great!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.