Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil leak.....found it....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
crash914
Ok, I found the source of the constant wet bottom of the block...I was thinking that it was the push rod tubes, so I replaced all O rings...it wasn't.

After pulling the heads, I noticed that the holes for the head studs that are inside of the valve covers were wet. AAHHHH!!!

There is no seal on the flat washer, generally you don't use seal on head bolts, so, what do you all use to prevent the weepage around and under the washer?

I am thinking a non hardning permatex below the washer and teflon thread seal on the studs... Thoughts?

herb
TheCabinetmaker
Did you check the torque on the head bolts before you removed them? Sounds like they were loose which "could" cause an oil leak, but that would also cause a major compression leak.
Matt Romanowski
Hi Herb,

I've never heard of a leak there. You could do a couple of things. Something like hylomar would work there (non hardening sealant) or you could put in a little chamfer and use an o-ring. I wouldn't expect anthing to get by the threads though. Were the nuts tight?

Matt
crash914
Ok, sounds like a rare place to leak.....

The head nuts were tight, I did not check touque. It was not a lot of oil, just enough to coat the underside of the engine and hold dirt. I would get a few spots under the car all the time....

I think that a little sealant should do the trick.....

thanks, herb
Mark Henry
I use a very thin smear of black RTV under the washer. Must be 100% clean of oil.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.