914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericread
August Issue of Excellence

http://www.excellence-mag.com/art1/art1p2.html

1973-74 914 2.0
Decent car, you stole it: $6,000-8,000
Nice car, decent money: $10,000-12,000
Insanely nice, high price: $17,000-22,000+
Watch out for: Rust, evidence of budget repairs, unspeakable and/or irreversible modifications, non-original engine, and trim-needy cars
Since there are a lot of these around, be sure to find an example in excellent condition, as the costs to restore a 914 are well ahead of its value, as is most always the case with the “undiscovered” Porsches. The big surprise here, should you be familiar with similar-year 911s, is how much fun a good 2.0 is to drive. You’ll be shocked and delighted at the broad powerband and pulling power of a good, stock 2.0, especially a 1973.
Stay away from cars without their original fuel injection, as there is a certain stigma associated with 914-4s converted to carburetors that implies previous owners were after a cheap and easy fix for fuel-injection woes. That said, there is a lively, but different, market for highly modified 914s with hot-rod four-cylinders and 911 engine conversions. When done well and tastefully, we suspect these modified 914s will hold their value. But as collectors have found for decades, most buyers will desire original cars.
Look very carefully for rust throughout the car and especially below the battery tray, rear trailing-arm mounts, jack points, and longitudinals (hiding behind the outer rocker covers). Chrome bumpers, factory alloy wheels, and period colors — such as one of several oranges, greens, or yellows —may add to the value. Any 914 you consider should have a clean interior, great brightwork, and good rubber seals. For a 914 especially, remember: condition, condition, condition. Find a 914 that’s as nice as possible — it will save you money in the long run.

IPB Image
Support these types of articles by subscribing to Excellence.
914Sixer
It seems to be the same info that is well known to everybody here. However, the prices are overstated for this part of the country.
ericread
My belief is that the more our 914's are showcased in magazines like "Excellence", the more the base prices will continue to increase. This has, of course, both up-sides and down-sides. Higher costs for acquisition and parts, but better resale value and stronger support for increased insurance settlements.

6freak
QUOTE(ericread @ May 29 2008, 07:15 AM) *

My belief is that the more our 914's are showcased in magazines like "Excellence", the more the base prices will continue to increase. This has, of course, both up-sides and down-sides. Higher costs for acquisition and parts, but better resale value and stronger support for increased insurance settlements.

The more people cut them up and dump boat anchor v8 in the the more the stock cars will be worth. av-943.gif
6freak
QUOTE(6freak @ May 29 2008, 07:27 AM) *

The more people cut them up and dump boat anchor v8 in the the more the stock cars will be worth. av-943.gif

Not a word on factory 914-6 cars ???
ericread
QUOTE(6freak @ May 29 2008, 07:38 AM) *

I think that factory-6 cars are so rare they really don't fit into a standard pricing model. There are a lot of 914-6 cars out there today (defined in the article as highly-modified 914s), but true factory-6's are really becoming collector pieces and as such, don't really fit into the category of "Top Ten Undervalued Porsches".

michaelt55

[/quote]

you know..my "boat anchor" weighs less than a six... chair.gif maybe you have "torque envy"?
914werke
QUOTE(ericread @ May 29 2008, 07:58 AM) *

I think that factory-6 cars are so rare they really don't fit into a standard pricing model. There are a lot of 914-6 cars out there today (defined in the article as highly-modified 914s), but true factory-6's are really becoming collector pieces and as such, don't really fit into the category of "Top Ten Undervalued Porsches".

If thats the case the LE cars (one of which is pictured in the artical) would be evan more valuable since they are evan rarer than /6's. drooley.gif
ericread
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ May 29 2008, 12:08 PM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ May 29 2008, 07:58 AM) *

If thats the case the LE cars (one of which is pictured in the artical) would be evan more valuable since they are evan rarer than /6's. drooley.gif

I agree. It would be seemingly be pretty odd to get an "Insanely Nice" LE for $17,000!!!

Michael N
I must say that it was nice to see a LE Creamcicle or Bumblebee in any form in Excellence. I can't remember any time in the past seeing a photo of one.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(ericread @ May 29 2008, 03:17 PM) *

I agree. It would be seemingly be pretty odd to get an "Insanely Nice" LE for $17,000!!!

I also agree however I wouldn't sell mine for $50,000 & she's been a Garage Queen her whole life! biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Better get those "euro" lenses off her before you try to enter it... poke.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 31 2008, 03:56 PM) *

Better get those "euro" lenses off her before you try to enter it... poke.gif

Older pic E- the Euros are on the six now, front & rear. I'm even re-doing the side stickers since they're also wrong in that pic. Anal? Yes I am aktion035.gif !
Chuck
Am I wrong in thinking though that a really nicely done six conversion isn't going to be worth as much, if not more, than a nicely restored 4?
70Sixter
QUOTE(Chuck @ May 31 2008, 04:26 PM) *

Am I wrong in thinking though that a really nicely done six conversion isn't going to be worth as much, if not more, than a nicely restored 4?

To the track guy yes, to the collector, probably not.
Dominic
QUOTE(Chuck @ May 31 2008, 01:26 PM) *

All you have to do is look at the 356 and early 911 market, the original unmolested cars are wanted commodities and demand big $$$. Then again you don't see too many early 911's with a V-8 conversion.
I think it will be harder to sell a converted car than it will an original, you have to find someone with the same taste as you. The chopped up ones with the radiators up front will be worth a bunch..... if you consider the price of scrap metal these days. happy11.gif

IronHillRestorations
As far as 6 conversion cars, it seems as though there are (informed) buyers out there that know what it takes to put together a quality car, but since there's such a disparity on how a car was built, fair market value depends on the car and prospective buyers.

As far as LE's vrs factory 914-6's, let's be honest here. I doubt if you'll ever see LE's bring more than a few hundred to a thousand or so over a comperable '73 2.0, or loaded '74 2.0. They just aren't that different.

Just my .02
purple
god damnit! I'm sick of being treated like a leper because the DAPO put carbs on the car and a retarded engine!

At least i have GOOD carbs on my car. this statement(cheap ass put carbs on it) by snobby porschefiles always pisses me off.
ericread
QUOTE(purple @ Jun 4 2008, 02:06 PM) *

god damnit! I'm sick of being treated like a leper because the DAPO put carbs on the car and a retarded engine!

At least i have GOOD carbs on my car. this statement(cheap ass put carbs on it) by snobby porschefiles always pisses me off.

Hey Purp! Having a boo-rattley day?

When you read the article you should note that the author mentions that historically, a number of FI 914's were converted to carbs as part of a quick-fix to a poor running engine. If that were the case, I would be wary too! However, in these more modern times, the proper installation of a good set of carbs does not necessarily indicate shoddy work.

If you are looking to pick up a mostly stock 914-4, you should probably look for the original FI setup. Just like many 356's that came with mechanical FI are probably more valuable with those units intact than ones that have been converted to carbs.

You should also keep in mind that the author had about a third of a page to discuss the 914. With this limited space, he really needed to stay within a single area, and he chose a stock 914.

In all, I believe the article supports the increasing base price of all of our 914s. Even your "carbed" one. biggrin.gif In actuality, if you use the article as a baseline, then add in any upgrades, your car probably rates pretty well on the list.

There. Time to go work out and get rid of your agressions! Or are you just having a little pre-wedding jitters? stirthepot.gif Don't sweat it. Marriage is only a committment for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!! av-943.gif

6freak
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ May 31 2008, 12:50 PM) *

I also agree however I wouldn't sell mine for $50,000 & she's been a Garage Queen her whole life! biggrin.gif

What makes them LE cars
6freak
QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 4 2008, 02:29 PM) *

What makes them LE cars

does it mean Less Engine then a six LOL just kid`n no really whats an LE
ericread

What makes them LE cars

Limited Edition - I believe they apply to the Creamsicle and Bumblebee versions. I haven't washed mine in a couple of weeks, and I'm approaching the "Fudgecicle" look... (which in no way would be considered a LE). laugh.gif
purple
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 4 2008, 04:20 PM) *

QUOTE(purple @ Jun 4 2008, 02:06 PM) *

Hey Purp! Having a boo-rattley day?

When you read the article you should note that the author mentions that historically, a number of FI 914's were converted to carbs as part of a quick-fix to a poor running engine. If that were the case, I would be wary too! However, in these more modern times, the proper installation of a good set of carbs does not necessarily indicate shoddy work.

If you are looking to pick up a mostly stock 914-4, you should probably look for the original FI setup. Just like many 356's that came with mechanical FI are probably more valuable with those units intact than ones that have been converted to carbs.

You should also keep in mind that the author had about a third of a page to discuss the 914. With this limited space, he really needed to stay within a single area, and he chose a stock 914.

In all, I believe the article supports the increasing base price of all of our 914s. Even your "carbed" one. biggrin.gif In actuality, if you use the article as a baseline, then add in any upgrades, your car probably rates pretty well on the list.

There. Time to go work out and get rid of your agressions! Or are you just having a little pre-wedding jitters? stirthepot.gif Don't sweat it. Marriage is only a committment for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!! av-943.gif

ugh, that sucks. my 914 was stripped down for AX/track work. it's not even close to stock. I'm sure it'll make a great track car though...someday
Root_Werks
Rust works in mysterious ways.
Michael N

What makes them LE cars

Cool paint jobs! aktion035.gif

Jeff's LE page link
6freak
QUOTE(Michael N @ Jun 4 2008, 08:02 PM) *

What makes them LE cars

Cool paint jobs! aktion035.gif

Jeff's LE page link

Thanks !theres some good info on that link
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.