Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My shoes still smell like Gasoline
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
sad.gif Im merging onto the freeway from a red light. First Gear...... Second gear........ Third Gear......... fourth gear..........just about to shift into 5th when sudden loss of power. The whole cockpit wreaks of gasoline. WTF.gif I pull over as fast as my sway bar would allow. Kill the engine. I pop the hood and the whole bay passenger side is soaked in gasoline, everything, battery coil vacume lines there is actually a pool of gasoline on the engine shelf. Holy shit. apon closer inspection I notice the hose came off the fuel rail. huh.gif luckly i had my nifty tool kit with me, took a while in the dark on the side of the freeway to slide it back on and tighten it down with the decel and mps and burning hot engine in the way. But I did it biggrin.gif the fire extinguisher was right next to me. all in all it worked out but PHEW

moral of my story: Check all the hose clamps on your FI and make sure they are tight. I heard everyone talking about bad fuel lines bursting into flames, but you have to watch out for the guy who forgot to tighten the clamp on his brand new lines. confused24.gif
URY914
And people wonder why 914's catch fire so much...

So.Cal.914
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 29 2008, 11:35 AM) *

And people wonder why 914's catch fire so much...

Which do you mean? High preasure fuel spray or forgetful mechanics? biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
Yep....I'm in the finishing process of fixing an engine fire from the PO. Mark B was sharp enough to catch the leaky fuel rail that was STILL in the car...
jsayre914
In my defense: The other 17 clamps were tight. biggrin.gif I wont let this happen again, was pretty scary.
So.Cal.914
I bet. sad.gif
rjames
Scary. How long did you wait for the gas to evaporate before you felt comfortable enough to fire it up again? (sorry, poor choice of words)

Glad it turned out the way it did! smile.gif

jsayre914
QUOTE(rjames @ May 29 2008, 02:57 PM) *

How long did you wait for the gas to evaporate before you felt comfortable enough to fire it up again?

About 45 min the engine was pretty warm so it did evaporate kinda quick. everything eles ran down onto my shoes. anyone passing by saw me running around the car with a fire extinguisher like a madman. Better safe anyway
ericread
"My shoes still smell like Gasoline"

I would love to follow you as you try to board an airplane!!!
TSA Agent: And just why do your shoes smell like gasoline???

Seriously, good job on minimizing your danger by getting off the road quickly. Another lesson on the necessity of carrying a fire extinguisher in your teener at all times.

geniusanthony
You mean shoes arent supposed to smell like fuel? hmm...:headscratch:
plymouth37
Glad you're ok and caught it before it went up in flames!
Seriously fire extinguishers and tool kits are mandatory accessories for 914s.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.