Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 or 2.0?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mavrick272
Hi guys

I am not sure if my 914 is a 1.8 or 2.0
It's a '74
It is missing the rear emblem (I wanted to buy a new one from Pelican Parts but I wanted to be absolutely sure I got the right one)

is there a way I can tell from the VIN or some other way?

Also, does anyone know if the factory rear emblem for 1974 models was "914 1.8" or "914-VW-Porsche"?

thanks

P.S. my VIN is 4742911300
Mavrick272
and for my next dumb question...

(drum roll please)

Where might I find this mystical engine number?
chris914
On top of the engine where the case joins together.

All questions are good, no worries.
Mavrick272
thank you very much

So this engine number is just a 2 letter code, right?
chris914
Two letters followed by numbers.

The two letters identify the type of engine and the numbers are the engine's serial number.
chris914
The serial number will also tell you the year.

http://www.914world.com/specs/chasnrs.php

edited
Mavrick272
well
I looked and all I found was a 13 digit VIN thing up by the distributor
it reads:

ZUNDFOLGE1432

WTF.gif
JeffBowlsby
Look in these places:

For the 2.0L you will need to disconnect the vacuum hose to look down to the case, and its probably dirt covered down there.

biggrin.gif
r_towle
So, to start with, the location of the engine serial number will tell you right away if it is a 2.0 liter or a 1.7/1.8

The 2.0 liter (as shown above) serial number is right in front of the oil filler housing on the raised area of the case that the oil filler is mounted.

The 1.7/1.8 liter serial number is on top of the case, towards the rear of the motor, nearest the flywheel, just under the plenum.

So, location is the first clue, then the numbers are the second clue.

There could be a motor (I have seen all sorts of mismatches) that has a 1.8 liter case and crank with 2.0 liter heads...so dont go by the heads, go by the case.
Yes, you can build anything you want from any case, but if you have a 1.8 liter case, assume its a 1.8 liter crank unless you want to tear down the motor to measure up everything.

Rich
Mavrick272
Thank you, gentlemen
I will go take a look and see what I can see
Mavrick272
Yep, I found it
and she's a 1.8

she's a 1.8 lady
woah woah woah
she's a 1.8 lady

thanks again, guys
type47
nice! 74 1.8L. still have the L-jet fuel injection system? i went to a swap meet at carlisle PA a couple of weekends ago and of the 6 914's there, 5 were 1.8L L-jet!
Mavrick272
yep, she's still got the stock fuel injection
roadster fan
Just playing devil's advocate here, but if the car didn't have the L-jet still, you wouldn't be able to tell for sure what engine you had by the number on the case right?

You would only know what type of case it may have been built from right? Internals could be 1.7, 1.8, 2.0, or big bore if it had been rebuilt.

Jim
stateofidleness
not to sound dumb, but i thought the easiest way was to look at the air cleaner?
TheCabinetmaker
Uh, I have a 75 1.8 car and engine with a 2.0 djet. Big square box don't mean its a 2.0?
jesiv
Not to steal the topic, but... How does that work for you?

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jun 1 2008, 03:16 PM) *

Uh, I have a 75 1.8 car and engine with a 2.0 djet. Big square box don't mean its a 2.0?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.