Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weber 32/36 DFAV Jet Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kpfoten
Hey all,

Rebuilding my Weber 32/36. It's a new experience for me--Looks like the PO has tinkered with it slightly and it has different size jets. Can somebody tell me why and how it will affect performance? Should I go with original jet sizes?

Here is what I've got (vs. what the original specs are)

Primary Main Jet: 137 Original setting 137
Secondary Main Jet: 165 Original set 140

Primary Air Corrector: 180 Original Setting 165
Secondary Air Corrector: 210 Original Set 160

Thanks,

Kris
Joe Bob
Single progressive Pinto/Weber two barrel carb? Not a fan of that set up. Performance out of that carb is best described as...does it start, idle and/or run.....you are happy. If it doesn't pop and catch fire it's a good day.

Your engine was designed to run on fuel injection.....second best is dual carbs on short intakes above the heads....a single carb in the middle with long runs isn't the most optimal way to get atomized fuel to the combustion chambers.

Do a search and you'll see other similar testimonials.

Good luck....

If it runs, leave it as-is....or consider going with dual carbs.
bryanc
The jets and air corrector are sized based on the engine flow characteristics.. What size engine do you have? What cams? etc.

As for that setup, yeah it's less than optimal, but you can make it run well enough. I had a 1.7 with that and it started and ran every time until the engine got the clunk-o-death.
kpfoten
1.7--unknown otherwise.

A "back from the dead" project. Realize that the single Weber thing isn't the greatest. Just trying to see if it will run... You know, student budget and all...

Eventually dual carbs, etc...

74914LE
I had a single Weber set up all during college during the mid 80's on a 1.7. It
never left me stranded. You can probably get it started with what you have, but
do take it to a shop that can tune it right. Getting the timing set properly will be
a big issue in getting it running right. Good Luck!
kpfoten

Thanks!

The carb is installed and the car RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO!

I think the fact that I dropped the thing in the driveway probably helped.... ARrgh... Anyway, it fell out of the car when I opened the door--you should've heard me curse...

Gotta tune it now. I'm wondering about the return spring--where a good location is for it. I've got it run around something in the back, but the spring wants to bind with the pump housing (I forgot which diaphragm housing it is)...

Anyway, off to a good start... Some day I'll get some duals but for now, this will have to do... smile.gif

Kris

QUOTE(74914LE @ May 31 2008, 08:39 PM) *

I had a single Weber set up all during college during the mid 80's on a 1.7. It
never left me stranded. You can probably get it started with what you have, but
do take it to a shop that can tune it right. Getting the timing set properly will be
a big issue in getting it running right. Good Luck!

bryanc
QUOTE(kpfoten @ Jun 2 2008, 05:39 PM) *

Thanks!

The carb is installed and the car RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO!

I think the fact that I dropped the thing in the driveway probably helped.... ARrgh... Anyway, it fell out of the car when I opened the door--you should've heard me curse...

Gotta tune it now. I'm wondering about the return spring--where a good location is for it. I've got it run around something in the back, but the spring wants to bind with the pump housing (I forgot which diaphragm housing it is)...

Anyway, off to a good start... Some day I'll get some duals but for now, this will have to do... smile.gif

Kris

The best return spring I ever had was a bungee cord I bought at the local Circle-K. My return spring broke in the middle of nowhere and I had to Macquyver it welder.gif . I stretched the bungee all the way across the engine compartment to make the tension 'right'.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.