Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: pointless ignition advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
level914
Is a pointless ignition a good idea for a fuel injected car? Does it make a difference that it's fuel injected? Or does it throw off all of the variables? I'm uneducated.

Sorry if this has come up in otrher threads.

I hear this is the way to go.

Is there a specific brand/type that you all recomend.
SirAndy
pertronix is the way to go!

just got mine.
kissed my points good bye ... fighting19.gif

clean and easy install, no wear anymore, no timing changes.
set it once and forget about it. smilie_pokal.gif

Andy
level914
Thanks Andy! That's my next purchase. Do I need a different coil, distributer cap, etc? or is it all one unit?
SirAndy
QUOTE(level914 @ Jan 22 2004, 06:00 PM)
Thanks Andy!  That's my next purchase.  Do I need a different coil, distributer cap, etc? or is it all one unit?

nope, just the pertonix ...

you keep the stock cap and rotor and coil.

you trash the points and the condensor.

and here's a few helpful hints for installing (thank you Rich! pray.gif )

1) throw away the spacer that comes with it
2) the (included) mounting plate (where the actual unit mounts to) needs just a little bit of grinding on one corner, otherwise it won't sit flush. the plate has a rounded edge looking like this ( where you need to file off a bit of material on the lower edge. you'll know when you see it.
3) use a little bit of locktite (sp?) on the mounting screw. don't overtighten the screw!
4) same for the 2 nuts that hold down the actual unit. don't overtighten!
5) put the magnet over the shaft
6) fiddle the wires through the whole where you removed the condesor wire. the flat rubber piece seals against the dist. housing from the inside, the round rubber piece goes on the outside and is hold in place by reusing the condensor mounting bracket.
7) use plastic gauge to set the GAP
8) tighten the unit down
9) make SURE red wire goes to + coil and black wire goes to - coil, both wires have red connectors, otherwise it's toast.

took only ten minutes ...
Andy
tracks914
How much was it?
SirAndy
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Jan 22 2004, 06:13 PM)
How much was it?

around $90 ducks ...
swood
Mallory! Mallory! clap56.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
Do it! Have one on my air-cooled dub (carbed) and one on my 914 (FI) and they work beautifully. If they only made pointless valve adjusting kit that was as simple...
Doug Leggins
I put a pertronix on my 72 driver (carbs - not FI) a few years ago - it cost about 60 bucks. Money very well spent! I was absolutely amazed at the improvement it made to my engine's smooth running and acceleration. Very easy to install. I just followed the instructions.
eldiosyeldiablo
Where can you get the Pertonix unit? I'm looking on Pelican parts but I do not see it.

Any opions on which is better for FI '74 2.0 street car? Pertonix, Craine, etc.

If you are a dealer PM me and let me know.

Thx,
David
Doug Leggins
Bought mine from Brad Mayeur in Peoria, IL. Another Brad that is great with 914s.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(eldiosyeldiablo @ Jan 22 2004, 07:05 PM)
Any opions on which is better for FI '74 2.0 street car? Pertonix, Craine, etc.

I've used Compufire and Pertronix with equal success.
Rouser
Mallory! Mallory!

Can't use a Mallory on a FI car.
SirAndy
QUOTE(eldiosyeldiablo @ Jan 22 2004, 07:05 PM)
Where can you get the Pertonix unit? I'm looking on Pelican parts but I do not see it.

got mine from Rich @ HPH, give him a call ...

http://www.highperformancehouse.com/
RustyWa
Remove the dizzy. It makes installation SO much easier.

By the way...that photo is BEFORE I shipped my dizzy of to Rich at HPH for rebuilding.
swood
QUOTE(Rouser @ Jan 22 2004, 07:50 PM)
Mallory! Mallory!

Huh??!

I gotta hear this!
nebreitling
i've got the crane xr700. works great. definitely best to pull the dizzy -- give it a good cleaning while you're at it.

i believe i paid less than $100 at summitracing.com

i heard that the pertonix will sometimes fry if you leave the ignition on, but that may be an old problem that has been resolved.
F4i
I have had no personal experience. So take this as you will. My personal research has led me to believe
that the older pertronix were quite good but the company has been sold and the newer ones are of a
lesser quality. One of the big VW shops here recommended compufire. It only cost me $65.00 Cdn. I
will not know until spring if it was a good choice however
SirAndy
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jan 23 2004, 12:59 PM)
i heard that the pertonix will sometimes fry if you leave the ignition on, but that may be an old problem that has been resolved.

nope, that's still the case. if you leave the ignition on without starting the car (for a extended period of time) it'll fry the pertronix ...

BUT, that's not a good idea anyways, regardless of your ignition system, wink.gif
Andy
Rouser
Mallory! Mallory!

Huh??!

I gotta hear this!

Maybe I wasn't clear ... you can't use a Mallory on a D-Jet-equipped FI engine (no internal FI trigger points).

I'm not sure about an L-Jet-equipped engine, though.
need4speed
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Jan 22 2004, 06:43 PM)
Do it! Have one on my air-cooled dub (carbed) and one on my 914 (FI) and they work beautifully. If they only made pointless valve adjusting kit that was as simple...

But if you take away my valve adjusting, what fun is there in owning one of these cars? smash.gif
McMark
They make a Pertronix Ignitor II* that doesn't burn out if you leave the key on.
Pertronix Site

The pointless ignition is called Ignitor.
Rgreen914
About a year ago I installed a Compufire in our 1.7 without much trouble. I fired it up and the car ran fine but the distributor cap was "dancing" as the rotor spun. Seems that the stock rotor was too tall with the Compufire module; had to file down the base of the rotor to make it spin inside the cap without making the cap "dance'. When I e-mailed Compufire's tech line, found out other people had experienced the same problem; otherwise. runs fine.
swood
Maybe I wasn't clear ... you can't use a Mallory on a D-Jet-equipped FI engine (no internal FI trigger points).

I'm not sure about an L-Jet-equipped engine, though. [/QUOTE]
Thanks for the buzzkill last night. laugh.gif

As you can see on my avatar it's mocked up almost ready to fire up. No trigger points on the Ljet. I've not heard it's not compatible.

You scared me. w00t.gif
To all,

I have a STOCK 74 1.8 So can I also upgrade to the Pertronix too?
I'm new to this car, so forgive my silly question.
seanery

yup, you can.
steve@ottosvenice.com
I used to use them but I now just use points. Remember to carry a set of points and condensr with screws so you can put the points back in, and you will have too. As they like to fail 250 miles from home on a sunday night. Steve
seanery,
Thanks for the response..

Steve,

are you saying that it's best to stay 'stock' and leave the possible upgrades alone?

Sorry, I'm a little confused. sad.gif
seanery
petronix fail from time to time, but usually that failure occurs right away. Both of my teeners have petronix.
My recomendation is to get another one and keep it in the glove box. You don't have to do it right away, but when you can afford a second one just get it and put it in the gb.

that's just my opinion. I know some folks carry points, rotor, etc..but I'd rather carry the petronix.
garyh
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Jan 23 2004, 02:32 PM)
They make a Pertronix Ignitor II* that doesn't burn out if you leave the key on.
Pertronix Site

The pointless ignition is called Ignitor.

Does what's-his-name have stock on the Ignitor-II?

I would concider upgrading if a group buy got the price low enough. (Need to re-curve the dizzy anyway...)
Group buy?

If so, and the price is right- I'll simply buy two. wink.gif
anthony
I got mine for $60 from a dealer off ebay.
eldiosyeldiablo
So who was the dealer off Ebay?
anthony
I don't remember because it was over a year ago but a quick scan of ebay finds several dealers with similar prices. Here's one for $66 with free shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2455780252
garyh
QUOTE(anthony @ Jan 25 2004, 10:49 AM)
I don't remember because it was over a year ago but a quick scan of ebay finds several dealers with similar prices. Here's one for $66 with free shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2455780252

Not to rain on your parade, but that's an Ignitor-I. Already got one installed.

I'm interested in getting an Ignitor-II; these engines are sensitive to dwell adjustments, and the Ignitor-II supposedly fixes that.

G.
anthony
Who's having a parade? I was answering eldiosyeldiablo's question.

BTW, if you look at Pertronix's application guide you'll see that there is no Ignitor II for our distributors.
914ghost
Don't know anything about a parade, BUT you guys you know EMPI makes a pointless Ignition kit right?
My local auto foreign parts guys says he thinks pertronix or compufire makes them, they're $40.
I'll be buying it soon and give it a try.

Robert O
garyh
QUOTE(914ghost @ Jan 25 2004, 11:28 AM)
you guys you know EMPI makes a pointless Ignition kit right?

Yup. BTDT. It's one of the reasons I like the Pertronix.
F4i
My sources tell me the Empi ones are made by compufire.
Rouser
As they like to fail 250 miles from home on a sunday night.

Goin' on 3+ years and a buncha-thousand miles, haven't had to even look at my Ignitor, short of inspecting the cap & rotor.

It's all on how it's installed, and what additional loads you might possibly have connected to the coil that the company didn't anticipate during testing ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.