Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where's the temp sender?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rav914
Sorry for the ignorance, the Haynes manual didn't say nor could I find it in the search.

I bought a new VDO guage for the center console to replace the non-working (I think) old guage. The new guage is right from the box so I'm assuming it's a working product. The needle on it too doesn't move off zero.

So I'm assuming (that word again), it's the sending unit. But I don't know where it is and staring at the engine for 15 minutes didn't help either. Thanks!

Nate
914Sixer
More than likely, your wire from the sending unit on the bottom of the engine is missing or melted into. Next, check to see if it is plugged in to the wiring harness by battery area. Probably one or the other. By the way the later unit uses a different sending unit.
r_towle
oil temp sensor...ok
Taco plate on the bottom of the motor.
Wire runs up the front of the motor and attaches to a connnection right under the ECU....its a great place for corrosion...whoda thunk.

There is also another connection under the carpet, just in front of the shifter, passenger side of the tunnel.

Rich
Rav914
Thanks!
type47
i saw this on another car this weekend at a pca tech session. a VDO gauge, not a porsche console gauge, was hooked up to the taco plate sender. i was curious if there was a mis-match between sender and gauge but the owner was satisfied with the temp readings.
orange914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 31 2008, 06:50 PM) *

More than likely, your wire from the sending unit on the bottom of the engine is missing or melted into. Next, check to see if it is plugged in to the wiring harness by battery area. Probably one or the other. By the way the later unit uses a different sending unit.

do you know what color the wire is (harness side) any pictures

mike
rhodyguy
it's the unattached wire adjacent to capped off j-tube. should be green.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 26 2008, 08:17 PM) *

should be green.

green with a black stripe, to be precise ...
bye1.gif Andy
MrKona
And here's a picture of the taco plate on the underside of the engine case. If you have just a flat plate there, you're missing the sending unit.
Rav914
Yes, I have a flat plate back there. Smells like a winter project to me. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the pictures.
Nate
type47
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Jun 28 2008, 12:49 PM) *

Yes, I have a flat plate back there. Smells like a winter project to me. biggrin.gif

buy a "taco" plate and install it next oil change smile.gif
kpfoten
Is there another temp sender that runs a green light (?) on the dash? If so, where is it located? I want to make sure mine is secure.

Thanks
type47
no. the green light is oil PRESSURE (didn't mean to shout). the oil pressure sender is next to the distributor on top of the engine, passenger side.
ericread
QUOTE(MrKona @ Jun 27 2008, 03:28 PM) *

And here's a picture of the taco plate on the underside of the engine case. If you have just a flat plate there, you're missing the sending unit.

Hey Bryan;

I noticed your TACO plate has a cable strain relief tab. I have never seen one like this before? Is this a stock unit, or did you fabricate the strain relief tab yourself. It looks like a good idea to me!

Eric Read

MrKona
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 30 2008, 09:27 AM) *

QUOTE(MrKona @ Jun 27 2008, 03:28 PM) *

Hey Bryan;

I noticed your TACO plate has a cable strain relief tab. I have never seen one like this before? Is this a stock unit, or did you fabricate the strain relief tab yourself. It looks like a good idea to me!

Eric Read

Hey that's interesting, I never thought about it. I didn't fabricate it, that was the way it came on the core engine I bought a couple years back.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.