Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Torsion bar stuck!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
marks914
Last week my pass side tosion bar broke.
I got a set of stock t-bars and went to replace mine. The driver side went fine, took probably 10 minutes to r&r
The pass side (the one that broke) is a different story.
I cannot get the bar out of the control arm.
I drilled a hole in the cap, soaked the end in kroil for a day, and I still cannot get it out.
The broken part is at the back end, and it appears to not be hitting the interior wall of the tube.

Any suggestions? besides buying a new control arm?
Anyone have a control arm?

Mark
Gint
At the back end? The back end is inserted into the torsion bar adjustment cap. Take the cap off. You pretty much have to to get the bar out anyway.

Did you pull the little cap off of the front of the a-arm to get the bar out?
marks914
The bar is stuck at the front. The back 40mm was broken off abd basically fell out.
I was able to remove the adjuster with a little hammering.
I drilled a 1/2" hole in the front cap, sprayed some kroyil in there overnight and I just bent a punch trying to drive it out this morning. I even tried to heat it.

Mark
smdubovsky
Heat, kroil, punch, repeat. You're on the right track you just have to get "meaner" w/ it. Though, if you bent a 1/2" punch the a-arm might be toast;)
majkos
QUOTE(smdubovsky @ Jun 1 2008, 06:35 AM) *

Heat, kroil, punch, repeat. You're on the right track you just have to get "meaner" w/ it. Though, if you bent a 1/2" punch the a-arm might be toast;)

Yup agree.gif
Seeing you're in the motor city, you have a lot of rust to deal with.
Ugh! blink.gif I feel for you Bro.

I've tons of suspension parts.
LMK if you need one.
Pay for shipping and it's yours
rhodyguy
bigger hole in the front disc. more kroil. stouter punch. try using the narrow end of the broken bar piece and a 3lb maul.
Gint
You can remove that little cap in the front. Punch it right out there and beat the bar from the front and out the back.
rhodyguy
no doubt the spines on the front end of the bar have a pretty good case of rust bond to the control arm. when you get it out (you will) remember to grease up the splines on both ends. do your control arms have the factory anti-swaybar brackets on them? i see you have an ad. if you're going to replace the c.a., be a little more specific in your needs.
IronHillRestorations
Remove the A arm.
chris914
I had the same problem. I tried all the tricks. In the ends it never came out. So I found a good used one for $40.00 and that included the whole front suspension of both sides.
justme
QUOTE(marks914 @ Jun 1 2008, 06:26 AM) *

The bar is stuck at the front. The back 40mm was broken off abd basically fell out.
I was able to remove the adjuster with a little hammering.
I drilled a 1/2" hole in the front cap, sprayed some kroyil in there overnight and I just bent a punch trying to drive it out this morning. I even tried to heat it.

Mark

Hey Mark,

Let me know if it doesn't come out headbang.gif . I have a-arms that the t-bar's came out of. They have the factory sway bar tabs.
BTW my speedo works, just no od, same deal with my 911 speedo. No OD.

Good luck with the t-bar!!
rhodyguy
how much did you warm the end up? you may have heated up the fact bushing on the front end.
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(marks914 @ Jun 1 2008, 07:04 AM) *

Last week my pass side tosion bar broke.
I got a set of stock t-bars and went to replace mine. The driver side went fine, took probably 10 minutes to r&r
The pass side (the one that broke) is a different story.
I cannot get the bar out of the control arm.
I drilled a hole in the cap, soaked the end in kroil for a day, and I still cannot get it out.
The broken part is at the back end, and it appears to not be hitting the interior wall of the tube.

Any suggestions? besides buying a new control arm?
Anyone have a control arm?

Mark

Take the arm out of the car, much easier to work on. If you can smack the bar with a hammer forward you will pop the brass end plug out. Much easier to remove the broken segment from the other end. You will probably have to fiddle with getting the splines aligned to remove the piece but it can be done.
ConeDodger
Something I learned while working on my Datsun Z... There is a pin in the suspension that you can beat on for hours. I did. Then I went to Sears and asked them to show me their angriest hammer. mad.gif I think that sucker weighs 12#. Two hits later I was done. biggrin.gif
marks914
Took it to a shop by my house and bent the a-arm in the press. I have another a-arm on the way. Geeze!
Anyone need a bent a-arm with a broken torsion bar in it? Maybe I will use it in my broken 914 parts sculpture.

I really shouldn't complain, this is the first problem I have had in a few years, the car has been really reliable believe it or not.

Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.