Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is This Going To Be A Problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
I'm changing out the pushrod tubes and seals and found this. Do I need to replace this valve?

Kev

Click to view attachment
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Absolutely...... YES......... Dave slap.gif
PeeGreen 914
Yes. You want it to be a nice smooth flat surface.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

\
All of them ........ Dave slap.gif
SLITS
To save the valve, you could have the tip machined flat and use a lash cap.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
I would throw away all of them and the rockers, change just 1 and next week

others will go. Matter of fact I would have a good head shop ,( Len's ) rebuild

them. Dave slap.gif
BarberDave

SLIT"S Wouldn' t machineing the valve remove the heat treat makeing it to

soft even for a lash cup to last very long? Dave slap.gif
kconway
Can someone explain to me what the likely cause is. Car ran fine. Need a cheaper solution to rebuilding the entire head and pretty sure I'm not the guy to do it. Can I take the whole head to RIMCO or do they just do the machining?

Just like peeling an onion...
ericread
Nah, You can buff that out. av-943.gif

SLITS
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Jun 3 2008, 06:48 PM) *

SLIT"S Wouldn' t machineing the valve remove the heat treat makeing it to

soft even for a lash cup to last very long? Dave slap.gif

The lash cap is hardened and fits over the tip of the valve. The hardened surface takes the sliding of the rocker tip otherwise the rocker tip would "dig" into the malable surface and "mushroom" the stem tip.

Didn't say it was the way to go, but it is one way.
Allan
QUOTE(kconway @ Jun 3 2008, 06:49 PM) *

Can I take the whole head to RIMCO

Yes
brer
You can get it done right here in san diego. Better than RIMCO by a mile.
Around 600+/- for the pair, if no welding. Thats a rebuild.

kconway
QUOTE(brer @ Jun 3 2008, 09:17 PM) *

You saying they would replace all the valves, springs, rockers in both heads for ~$600? Whats the place your speaking of?
sean_v8_914
if the engine is assembled and still in the car...and you don't want to drop it all, put lash caps on all 4 valves and drive it till she spits chunks
kconway
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Jun 3 2008, 09:21 PM) *

if the engine is assembled and still in the car...and you don't want to drop it all, put lash caps on all 4 valves and drive it till she spits chunks

Its out on an engine stand.
brer
QUOTE(kconway @ Jun 3 2008, 10:20 PM) *

QUOTE(brer @ Jun 3 2008, 09:17 PM) *

You saying they would replace all the valves, springs, rockers in both heads for ~$600? Whats the place your speaking of?

don bolton
Bugpatch 619-449-8670

thats just ballpark, you would have to talk to him about what NEW parts you want, and how bad your heads are of course.
Jake Raby
Brer,
I never knew that was the "don" you were referring to...

As far as that valve, well its a classic example of a valve that was ran loose for many miles... A lash cap is a band aid...

HAM Inc
Yep, loose valve adjustment, and or poor oil. Swivel screws would have prevented this problem, and the excessive guide wear that usually accompanies tip wear.
If you want to stretch the service interval, the lash caps will serve as a sutiable band aid. Make sure you replace the valve adjusters at that time, and you will almost certainly need to shim the rockers to account for the lash caps, unless your adjusters are wound in to deal with cam wear.
brer
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 3 2008, 10:54 PM) *

Brer,
I never knew that was the "don" you were referring to...

As far as that valve, well its a classic example of a valve that was ran loose for many miles... A lash cap is a band aid...

He's a great guy Jake.
Honest as they come.
sean_v8_914
yup, bandaids have their place. I'm a "do it right" kind of guy but i look at cost-benefit. I would prefer a rebuilt head but the banbaid might get you down the road happy for another year.
kconway
Pulled the head off the one side...both exhaust valves stems are damaged the one photo above is the worst of it. Intake valve stems look okay.

I appologize if this is boring or remedial but I've never been in an engine this far before. Does anything look way abnormal in these photos? This is cylinders 1 & 2.

Kev

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Joe Bob
Dude, you need to pull the valves, look for damage to the stems and seats. Not a job for the newbie....

You have the heads off, best to take it to or ship them to reputable AIR cooled head shop....

You're in So Cal....RIMCO.

http://www.rimcovw.com/
Joe Bob
QUOTE((*)(*) @ Jun 4 2008, 08:34 PM) *

Dude, you need to pull the valves, look for damage to the stems and seats. Not a job for the newbie....

You have the heads off, best to take it to or ship them to reputable AIR cooled head shop....

You're in So Cal....RIMCO.

http://www.rimcovw.com/

Hmm, based on some follow-up posts, don't use RIMCO....my bad... blink.gif

It's been awhile...geez, 15 years since I used them.
brer
RIMCO will not be here long anyway.
fixtures and machines are for sale, $460,000 i hear.
Property will be sold off for development.

bye1.gif

bye RIMCO
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.