Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can /6 front calipers be used...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Korijo
Can the fronts from a /6 be used on the rear of a /4 ?

Solid rotor, right ? 3" spacing, right ?
campbellcj
I thought the 914-6 fronts where basically the 911 "M" caliper w/ vented rotors and 3" spacing? confused24.gif
jtf914
agree.gif What he said.
Downunderman
You will need SC rear discs.
Korijo
So the rear, stock rotor on a /6 is solid or vented ? Front is vented ?
jtf914
The rear stock -6 rotor is solid, but the front is vented, so to move -6 front calipers to the rear the rotors must be changed.
davep
Stock 914/6 front vented, rear solid, The front pads are much larger than the rear.
Korijo
QUOTE(Justin Fischer @ Jan 23 2004, 10:56 AM)
The rear stock -6 rotor is solid, but the front is vented, so to move -6 front calipers to the rear the rotors must be changed.

Oh well. Just trying to keep my 4 lug setup...
Eric_Shea
No.

M-Calipers (which is what the 6 front caliper is) do not work with "vented" or "non-vented" rotors due in part to the hat on the rear rotor. The nose on a front M-Caliper rubs against the hat (severly). A 6 rear caliper would work ($$$.$$). A 911 "rear" caliper would work with a vented rotor (and a 5-lug update) but if you want to keep it 4-lug then keep/rebuild what you have and get some great pads.

I glass bead blast my calipers and take them to a zinc plater complete (with the pistons, bleeders closed and rubber seals still on). They plate them. It does not affect the rubber seals inside. I then pull out the pistons and rebuild them. Keeping the pistons in keeps the zinc out of that area. Stock is a light yellow zinc. Plater charges me $20.00

My $.02 smile.gif

E.
3liter914-6
QUOTE(Korijo @ Jan 23 2004, 09:45 AM)
Can the fronts from a /6 be used on the rear of a /4 ?  

Solid rotor, right ?  3" spacing, right ?

What about using a 914/4 front caliper on the rear of your car? I used them on my /6 for a while. Had to make some spacers, get longer bolts, and I think the pads were a little too big so it would wear a ridge into the pad. Oh, and the car has the "T" instead of the prop valve so the rear brakes would lock up first. It was just to get me home from NY after my /6 caliper. With a factory (or aftermarket) prop valve, and some dedication to getting it right you might be able to get it working nicely. I myself like and need an ebrake to get my ride inspected.
Eric_Shea
What about using a 914/4 front caliper on the rear of your car?

Yup... I do believe that works. Many here are using that setup. I'm sure you'll hear more.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 23 2004, 03:29 PM)
What about using a 914/4 front caliper on the rear of your car?

Yup... I do believe that works. Many here are using that setup. I'm sure you'll hear more.

don't you lose your parking brake that way though? I know that makes it un-inspectable in TX...
3liter914-6
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jan 23 2004, 01:00 PM)
don't you lose your parking brake that way though? I know that makes it un-inspectable in TX...

You'd lose that running any front caliper on the rear, he was asking about /6's on the front so I think he doesn't care.
Eric_Shea
don't you lose your parking brake that way though?

Sure do... that's why I did this. Click Here
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.