Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Upgrading to 911 swivel feet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
benalishhero
Hey guys:

I'm looking to purchase 911 swivel feet for my 2.0. What modifications, if any, should I anticipate?

TIA

Cheers!
type47
all i know is that the swivel feet require an (?) 8mm (7mm?) rocker as used in the early 1.7's as the later rockers are 10mm.
SLITS
1.) A set of 1.7/1.8 rockers

2.) Machine work to remove at least 0.060" off the screw adjustor end.
type47
... even my 1.8's were 10mm
SLITS
Ok, I'll revise it then 'cause I've seen 8mm on a 2.0

Get a set of rockers with 8mm adjustor screws!

benalishhero
2.) Machine work to remove at least 0.060" off the screw adjustor end.

Do you mean shorten the new adjuster scews .060" on the threaded side. I'm assuming they will hit the V/C if I don't.

The earlier rockers aside, Is this the only other mod?
Cap'n Krusty
The machining is done to the underside of the rocker arms, the side nearest the valve, to allow clearance for the thick swivel portion of the adjuster screw.

BTW, why do you call this an "upgrade"? The Cap'n
benalishhero
BTW, why do you call this an "upgrade"? The Cap

Good question. I'm assuming it quiets the valves.?
Cap'n Krusty
No, not really. Clearance is clearance, and the clearance makes the noise. Besides, that, what in "quiets the valves" is an "upgrade"? If that's an upgrade, then hydraulic lifters would be an upgrade, despite the loss of power associated with that conversion.

The Cap'n
VaccaRabite
I would not bother with this unless you are also upgrading your cam, lifters, rest of your valve train.

Zach
Borderline
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 6 2008, 05:32 PM) *

The machining is done to the underside of the rocker arms, the side nearest the valve, to allow clearance for the thick swivel portion of the adjuster screw.

BTW, why do you call this an "upgrade"? The Cap'n

Cap'n: I take it by your tone that you don't consider this an upgrade? Would you care to enlighten us? I figured that anytime you could put on a 911 part it must be an upgrade. Also, the flat surface of the swivel adjuster would mate better with the top of the valve stem giving a little less friction as opposed to the point contact of the standard adjuster screw. Now that I think about it, the 911 swivel would not cause the valve to rotate as it slides across the stem. hmmm? confused24.gif
Cap'n Krusty
You just answered your last question. Now, for the bad news. The premise "I figured that anytime you could put on a 911 part it must be an upgrade." prompts me the say "WHAT!"? Gonna throw a couple of extra spark plugs in there? Maybe some 911 seats? They don't fit, but "what the hell, they're 911" makes it good? Little duct tape and we're good to go ........ Gimme a break. Just 'cause they fit your big brother (or maybe your big sister) doesn't mean they're right for you ................. I could run with that, but I'm not that drunk. Yet.

The Cap'n
rhodyguy
testy tonight.
benalishhero
So, to review, there are no advantages to switching to the swivel type adjusters? Are there any disadvantages? Besides cost and machining?
VaccaRabite
There are advantages, once you start improving other aspects of your valve train.

I can't think of any disadvantages, other then cost.
benalishhero
Vacca Rabite- Thank you.
roadster fan
Ok i will bite. What are the advantages to the swivel feet once you start changing the other parts in the valve train? Easier to set geometry? Complete aircooled novice, so go easy on me.

Jim
VaccaRabite
Lighter weight, stronger, and better engagement of the valve stem.

On a stock application, it is just overkill. On a hotter cam with bigger valve springs, you need it. It is not something that will give you more HP, it will just let your engine last longer using other hotter parts.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.