Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: starter advice... do i need a high torque...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange914
o.k. heres the deal... new 2056 with (deves rings). as previous input from others stated deves rings do fit tight. icon8.gif i think i may have to go with some sort of performance starter as the motor turns too slow. i'm using the old starter that worked fine on the OLD engine and just cant spin up the new engine. i've pulled apart a used starter that i'll clean, lube and try. the brushes look great, maybe that'll work out. i've done this before on other cars with good luck.

i'm hesitant on getting a "rebuilt" that may have the same issues.

are newer "6" engine starters, drop ins?

any performance upogrades that can be done to stock beside cleaning?

mike
Cap'n Krusty
A 911SC starter is a drop in. The Cap'n
orange914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 8 2008, 10:55 PM) *

A 911SC starter is a drop in. The Cap'n

thanks, what kind of performance difference are they? anyone selling, WTT for one?
PRS914-6
High torque is the way to go. Spins my 3.6 without even a grunt.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=78022
VaccaRabite
Do you have a "Hot Start" kit in your car? It helps.

I also have the High Torque starter. It turned over a brand fresh 2056 without any difficulty.

Zach
orange914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 9 2008, 07:31 AM) *

Do you have a "Hot Start" kit in your car? It helps.

I also have the High Torque starter. It turned over a brand fresh 2056 without any difficulty.

Zach

thanks zack, i'm sure i'm o.k. there after useing #1 copper welding wire, soldering eyelets with heat shrink on the ends and brass battery terminals. i also took the ground to the frame and added an extra #1 wire for the block.

got the high torque starter installed and cranked w/o plugs. it was loud and seemed too slow. i had put white lube on starter drive gears to check where it engaged and sure enough it was too close. i (temp.) installed 2 washers between the starter/bell housing. yup... fast and quiter.

if we can get the shim done/installed in a couple days, the local porsche shop can possibly get it in this week.

now if i can figure what to use...

what not being done for a year is slow?? blink.gif

mike
orange914
got the shim done! i think it came out pretty good. i searched around and came up with a real dense rubber from a car inner tube with washers inlayed on the bolt areas. the 2 washers i used where .080 thick, the rubber was .084 uncompressed and .080 under compression. after we made it, it dawned on me how much it looked like an exhaust flange gasket... blink.gif it's a 3" center hole. biggrin.gif

mike
Click to view attachment
3liter914-6
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jun 9 2008, 02:07 AM) *

thanks, what kind of performance difference are they? anyone selling, WTT for one?

The newer 911 starters are 1.5hp, the stock 914 starter is .8 hp iirc. Definitely a noticeable difference. If they can spin a high compression /6, I don't see why they'd have a problem with a 4-banger.

orange914
QUOTE(3liter914-6 @ Jun 21 2008, 08:53 PM) *

QUOTE(orange914 @ Jun 9 2008, 02:07 AM) *

The newer 911 starters are 1.5hp, the stock 914 starter is .8 hp iirc. Definitely a noticeable difference. If they can spin a high compression /6, I don't see why they'd have a problem with a 4-banger.

thanks, i probably should go that route later. i purchased a high torque starter that seems to be good according to others who are using it. i did have to shim it .080, but along with #1 battery cables it really kicks @ss

mike
PRS914-6
What brand of starter did you buy? The high perforamance USA starter requires no shimming and the electrical lug is on the bottom.
Mark Henry
You only need a hi-torque for the fisrt run-in at break-in on a fresh (non-stock) -4...After that you old starter will work fine.

True on 2276cc and even a 9.8:1 CR 2600cc T4.
orange914
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jun 23 2008, 07:37 AM) *

What brand of starter did you buy? The high perforamance USA starter requires no shimming and the electrical lug is on the bottom.

yes its an e-bay highperformance usa ($119). electrical lug on bottom. i first installed it with no shim and it seemed and sounded strained while turning over. i also did a gear pattern check with white grease to see contact pattern. it was grinding against the flywheel when engaging. i dont know if it would drag when DISengauged becouse the motor is not yet installed and running. still it showed it was engauging too far in. we shimmed it and it spun the motor sooo much quiter and faster. beerchug.gif

i'll probably put the stock back in once the motor is broken in if theres any hint of issues.

mike
PRS914-6
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jun 23 2008, 06:29 PM) *

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jun 23 2008, 07:37 AM) *

yes its an e-bay highperformance usa ($119). electrical lug on bottom. i first installed it with no shim and it seemed and sounded strained while turning over. i also did a gear pattern check with white grease to see contact pattern. it was grinding against the flywheel when engaging. i dont know if it would drag when DISengauged becouse the motor is not yet installed and running. still it showed it was engauging too far in. we shimmed it and it spun the motor sooo much quiter and faster. beerchug.gif

i'll probably put the stock back in once the motor is broken in if theres any hint of issues.

mike

You should contact the seller and inform him. He is a pretty conscientious guy and would want to know so he can adjust future starters
Cap'n Krusty
I sure wouldn't use rubber for a shim. With the torque and the load, that thing'll be shakin' it's booty all over the place ............................ Might even snap the case.

The Cap'n
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 23 2008, 06:39 PM) *

I sure wouldn't use rubber for a shim. With the torque and the load, that thing'll be shakin' it's booty all over the place ............................ Might even snap the case.

The Cap'n

He has a metal washer behind the bolt area. However, I would call the manufacturer and get it right without any modifications but hey, I'm anal.......
orange914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 23 2008, 07:39 PM) *

The Cap'n

acually i took the idea from other theads on this starter (i looked again and cant for the life of me find it). but one member is running just washers (gulp) and one is using somesort of compressed material with the washers inserted at the "squeeze points". the rubber i used is very dense and when compessed is very dense/firm and measures exactly the same as the .080 washers used in the bolt areas. this really is fiem, may even help absorb a little sound. i wish i had the ability to slice an old starter base to that thickness (would make a great shim.)

mike
Click to view attachment
orange914
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jun 23 2008, 07:38 PM) *

You should contact the seller and inform him. He is a pretty conscientious guy and would want to know so he can adjust future starters

i had contact with the selller because i was having some problems with paypal, he responded kindly. i told him i'd put a good word in for his product on the world on his good teatment with me and also let the 914er's know how the starter works once i know.

engine to engine end play is different. the flywheel protrudes rearward some more than others depending on shimming required. i know i had to use alittle more shimmng to get my end play. i'm thinking this may be why some say they needed a shim some say, no issue. maybe the seller should include a shim or two like chevy starters.

mike
orange914
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jun 23 2008, 07:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 23 2008, 06:39 PM) *

The Cap'n

He has a metal washer behind the bolt area. However, I would call the manufacturer and get it right without any modifications but hey, I'm anal.......

trust me i've been called worse than anul... did i say that right??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.