driving.gif
Joe Bob
IPB Image
DanT
back when the Puttputt was being built.
Michael N
Here's one. After the Putt putt was built. Same trailer. biggrin.gif

DanT
Michael, did you buy that trailer from Nathan or just borrow it?

that thing has been making the rounds. biggrin.gif

nice Bumble Bee, by the way.
stateofidleness
im tryin to see the best way to strap it down
i have 2 20' ratcheting straps

do you like, "wrap" the tire with it, or just go around the trailing arm or somethin?

how bout the front?

i dont' have tow hooks, and the chalon sits real low.. are the A arms and trailing arms my best option?
Michael N
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jun 9 2008, 01:45 PM) *

Michael, did you buy that trailer from Nathan or just borrow it?

that thing has been making the rounds. biggrin.gif

nice Bumble Bee, by the way.

I bought it from Nathan after he sold his racecar. It current has my creamcicle roller on it over in the central valley.

DanT
that is a great little trailer for a narrow bodied 914.

it was custom built by an old GGR member years ago...but it works great, doesn't take up a lot of space and pulls very nicely.
PeeGreen 914
Well, in the rear you can go through the wheels and same in the front. I can't do it another way because my spoiler is too low to go on the A-arms. In one spoke and out another and then around to the tiedown.
Michael N
I love that trailer. For just that reason, it's light. It doesn't take up a lot of room and is light enough to move around by hand. The electric winch is a bonus. The only thing is that it is so light sometimes I forget the trailer is attached and drive too fast.
John
Here is a pic of me and my dad.

stateofidleness
is it dumb to go through the rim on one side all the way across to the opposite rim and secure on the opposite side from which it started? since i only have 2 straps, im thinking one in front, one in rear.

and im starting to think 20' might be excessive smile.gif but it's the only ratcheting ones they had... i think i may pick up one of those electric winches too
messix
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Jun 9 2008, 01:46 PM) *

i have 2 20' ratcheting straps

do you like, "wrap" the tire with it, or just go around the trailing arm or somethin?

how bout the front?

i dont' have tow hooks, and the chalon sits real low.. are the A arms and trailing arms my best option?

what kind of wheels do you have?

never trust only one restraint per end.
messix
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Jun 9 2008, 02:24 PM) *

is it dumb to go through the rim on one side all the way across to the opposite rim and secure on the opposite side from which it started? since i only have 2 straps, im thinking one in front, one in rear.

and im starting to think 20' might be excessive smile.gif but it's the only ratcheting ones they had... i think i may pick up one of those electric winches too

yah 20 footers are a pain, but just roll up the excess and zip tie it.

buying 2 more straps is gonna be wy cheaper than fixing your teener and tow rig if some thing goes wrong.

my buddy last fall had his jeep land in the bed of his truck [yes really i'll post the pictuers later] from his trailer and what every one would assume to be good tie down practice.
John
I use 4 tie-downs.

I use chains (2) in front (to eyelets bolted into the a-arm mount).

I use ratchet straps (2) in the rear to eyelets welded into the rear cross-member where the trans mounts.

I used to anchor the car using the trailing arm shock bolts, but found that I would put undue stress on the rear suspension by doing so.

I tie the body down instead of the suspension.

Good luck.

PeeGreen 914
I would use one per wheel.
messix
Click to view attachmentheres the pictures of said jeep.

this happen on short section of black ice @ 30mph.
TROJANMAN
One strap through each wheel. Unfortunately I had one strap too tight and the little movement that the car did make, shred the strap halh way through. Now I need a new strap. Next trip will have a pad behind the strap.

I think they were 20 foot strapswhen I bought them, but I cut 'em.
IPB Image
messix
i make a loop [or double back] and stick the loop thru the wheel, then hook the loop to the end hook and pull the strap tight. hard to explain but easy to see.
this won't abriad the strap when done right.
Joe Bob
Either use the eyebolts that screw onto the lugs or straps that have a cradle that go around the tire or LAST choice, attach to the body. Rusty 914s have rusty front hooks.... dry.gif

You WANT the normal suspension to flex and move and the tires tight as well as the straps. Putting a stap over an edge is an invitation to rubbing, especially if any one has a less than optimum tightness.....

You don't want anything that can rub on your straps moving. They also make cheap looped straps that have eyebolts on each end. They can make a loop and then you attach the more expensive tie downs to that....
stateofidleness
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Jun 9 2008, 05:07 PM) *

One strap through each wheel. Unfortunately I had one strap too tight and the little movement that the car did make, shred the strap halh way through. Now I need a new strap. Next trip will have a pad behind the strap.

I think they were 20 foot strapswhen I bought them, but I cut 'em.
IPB Image

this looks like what i may do.. seems to be the safest
each tire to it's own corner of the trailer. handbrake set as well

rethinking the 20'ers now lol.. may have to make a harbor freight run smile.gif

thanks for the pics
sww914
Here's my $50.00 princess. You can't see the straps but I have 2 hooks in the back that go to the motor mount bosses and 2 ratchet straps in the front that go to the control arms.
Believe it or not there's no rust in the longs, none in the hell hole, none in the floors, just a little in the rear trunk.
sww914
This is what happen when some bonehead strips the car to bare metal and doesn't use epoxy primer.
stateofidleness
guess ill add another dumb question here..

is it safe to roll the car with the cv axles still connected?
i have them "suspended" so that they wont rub on the inside of the trailing arm and can still spin, i just wanna make sure before i move it so i dont break anything

hopefully, HOPEFULLY the car will be on the trailer by tomorrow evening and will be in the body shop by the weekend!!
Joe Bob
I wouldn't tow with the axles flopping around....but it's OK to push it around or roll it onto a trailer.
Eric_Shea

I really like the tire nets. I had those on a friends trailer. I pulled my 914 back from SF using those on the front. Fairly inexpensive if I recall.
Eric_Shea
This is what happen when some bonehead strips the car to bare metal and doesn't use epoxy primer.

Fiberglass can and should replace all of that biggrin.gif
dw914er
QUOTE((*)(*) @ Jun 9 2008, 03:44 PM) *

I wouldn't tow with the axles flopping around....but it's OK to push it around or roll it onto a trailer.

agree.gif
jonferns
How big of a trailer? Heres when ours was shipped from CA

Click to view attachment
sww914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 9 2008, 03:47 PM) *

Our friend Roger wants to help with that. smile.gif
www.ultimate914.com
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(sww914 @ Jun 9 2008, 04:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 9 2008, 03:47 PM) *

Our friend Roger wants to help with that. smile.gif
www.ultimate914.com

piratenanner.gif Shoot, my stuff looks good and I want him to do stuff on mine biggrin.gif
but I want to stay married too blink.gif
stateofidleness
just towin it up the street about 2 miles to the body shop

i dont think theyll be "flopping" around, theyre suspended with huge zip ties and dont have much travel room other than spinning
Joe Bob
Probably cool...but CVs are an ignored service REQUIRED part. Best to pull, inspect. regrease and re-seal....BOTH inners and outers. Good time to do it.....
Eric_Shea
Z speaks of logic. Must be the meds have kicked in! ohmy.gif
r_towle
dont roll the car, or set any wieght on the rear without the inner hub in place...the male portion of the CV joint.

If you can, remove the whole axle, take the male end off and put that back in the hub...then you can service the CV joints while you wait.

As far as towing on a trailer, always cross your straps to prevent side to side jumping of the car...straight strapping will not survive and the car will hop...seen it on show cars, in closed trailers...

This is simple logic....cross the straps.

Rich
BMartin914
Spotted this little gem in the mountains outside of Pagosa Springs, CO

IPB Image
URY914
biggrin.gif
URY914
biggrin.gif
URY914
biggrin.gif
URY914
biggrin.gif
URY914
biggrin.gif
URY914
biggrin.gif
URY914
biggrin.gif
URY914
biggrin.gif MY car...
stateofidleness
some of those dont even look strapped down??
iamchappy
This thread is doing me no good, I've been browsing Craigslist tonight for a trailer that i think i dont need.

I was wonder why you guys haven't figured out a way to use tow dolly wheel straps.
Seems to me a secure way of doing it.

messix
pictures of how i do it.
messix
more
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.