Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Bay Fuel Hoses - HP?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AvalonFal
Asking everyone's patience on an old question -- A search turned up a lot of info on fuel hose, but I couldn't find the short answer -- Are all of the fuel hoses in the engine bay from the plastic supply line and back to the plastic return line high pressure hose, or if not, what's the combination??

Paul
flat4
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ Jun 11 2008, 05:23 AM) *

Asking everyone's patience on an old question -- A search turned up a lot of info on fuel hose, but I couldn't find the short answer -- Are all of the fuel hoses in the engine bay from the plastic supply line and back to the plastic return line high pressure hose, or if not, what's the combination??

Paul

Before the pump and after the regulator the pressure will be somewhat lower, but at a price difference of a dollar a foot I didn't bother trying to save the money and went HP everywhere.

Cheers, Steve
Dave_Darling
Use high pressure hose for all fuel lines. Not worth the risk of mixing up high- and low-pressure stuff.

--DD
AvalonFal
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 11 2008, 11:38 AM) *

Use high pressure hose for all fuel lines. Not worth the risk of mixing up high- and low-pressure stuff.

--DD

Yes, I agree. Just was curious if there were different hose types originally.

Paul
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ Jun 11 2008, 11:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 11 2008, 11:38 AM) *

--DD

Yes, I agree. Just was curious if there were different hose types originally.

Paul

No. One grade of fuel line, in 2 sizes, is used throughout the car. The Cap'n
dbgriffith75
On a somewhat related note, and unfortunately I don't have pics to show you, but there's a breather line (at least I think that's what it is) that runs from the tank, back through the tunnel and into the engine compartment w/ the fuel lines. The one I pulled from my '75 2.0 was plastic, about 1/8" OD- but it wasn't hooked up to anything back in the engine compartment, it was just hanging there (broken off from the looks of it) and I didn't see any place where it could have hooked up to the engine.

Any ideas on what it was for, and where it might hook up? I'm thinking it might have been something FI related, and since this engine was converted to dual carbs, it's now obselete, but I'd like to be sure.
Cap'n Krusty
EVAP line. Hooks up to the small nipple on the EVAP canister in the engine compartment on a '75/'76 car. Early cars run the 2 12mm hoses to the front, where the canister sits atop the tank, and the small hose is just a few inches long. The Cap'n
Cevan
It's a gas tank vent line. For your '75, there was a charcoal cannister mounted in the engine bay that the line plugged into. There are two vacuum lines attached to the cannister so that the fumes got sucked into the cannister and out into the intake boot. Older cars had the cannister mounted up front by the gas tank.

There is a debate as to whether to keep the cannisters as they are at least 32 years old and some would say the charcoal inside is no longer active.

I did not re-install mine when I put my motor back in, although I kept the cannister and accompanying vacuum lines. I zip-tied the vent line to the passenger side e-brake cable.
Allan
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 11 2008, 12:13 PM) *

EVAP line.

QUOTE(Cevan @ Jun 11 2008, 12:27 PM) *

It's a gas tank vent line.

Are you guys sure it's not just the return fuel line?

He did say that the car was converted to carbs...
ericread
QUOTE(Headrage @ Jun 11 2008, 12:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 11 2008, 12:13 PM) *

EVAP line.

QUOTE(Cevan @ Jun 11 2008, 12:27 PM) *

It's a gas tank vent line.

Are you guys sure it's not just the return fuel line?

He did say that the car was converted to carbs...

Yep - it's the eval line. The return fuel line would never route through a charcoal cannister.

Eric
dbgriffith75
Now that you mentioned charcoal canister, it seemed kinda obvious. Had one of those "duh" moments.

Anyway, I don't need to debate whether or not to keep mine... because the PO already seemed to make that decision as there wasn't one on it when I bought the car. I guess I'll just run a new line for it too since I'm running new feul lines thru the tunnel anyway, and just tie it off somewhere back there so if the next owner wants to try and install a new one, they're set up for it.

Thanks for the advice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.