Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Front yard pests
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
914Sixer
They will eat everthing in sight including the flowers. They are of course protected.
carr914
Is it a coincidence that your name is Heard?
rjames
They will eat everthing in sight. They are of course protected.

The probably say the same thing about us humans. smile.gif
r_towle
look up "wolf urine"
It comes in a dry powder and if you sprinkle it around your property, they will move to new property.

My neighbor has surrounded his garden with it...they never go near it now...
We live in rural MA...we have loads of deer...

Rich
GringoLoco
I don't suppose there exists some sort of non-toxic chemical or powder that tastes horrible to them but won't hurt animals/humans? Gotta be something you can do.
TravisNeff
QUOTE(GringoLoco @ Jun 11 2008, 10:13 AM) *

Gotta be something you can do.

Eat them. chowtime.gif
biosurfer1
electric fence?
7TPorsh
Sprinkle black pepper all around; that'll learn'em. Works on cats that piss on shiny wheels! biggrin.gif
plymouth37
Buy a dog....

Let him hunt his own dinner.
John
Run over them with your truck. Typically this is not seen as hunting.

J P Stein
SBD: A wrist rocket. They remember a marble in the ass after a couple of times.
Practice first.
There are a bunch of critters around here give my house a wide berth and take off running when they see me....and no longer stop to look back.
zymurgist
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 11 2008, 01:28 PM) *

QUOTE(GringoLoco @ Jun 11 2008, 10:13 AM) *

Gotta be something you can do.

Eat them. chowtime.gif

OM NOM NOM NOM chowtime.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 11 2008, 08:51 AM) *

They will eat everthing in sight including the flowers. They are of course protected.

Try a Scarecrow sprinkler - it is motion activated - scares them with noise and water.

http://www.yardlover.com/products.php?pid=135

Good Luck.
6freak
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jun 11 2008, 12:15 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 11 2008, 08:51 AM) *

Try a Scarecrow sprinkler - it is motion activated - scares them with noise and water.

Good Luck.

organic!!! venison is tastey the bow and arrow is silent........ nuff said idea.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Try a BIG FUC ING DOG

Dave slap.gif
ericread
When I was a kid I knew some guys that planted tree seedlings in the Oregon forests. They worked for the logging firms doing re-forestation. In order to ensure the deer didn't munch on the suculent adn yummy seedlings, they coated the seedlings with a fine spray of raw eggs! It seems that deer absolutely hate eggs???

I guess it makes sense. I've never heard of a deer dying from a high-cholesterol diet. idea.gif

Eric
plymouth37

Good Luck.

This works on door to door solicitors and mail carriers as well, what a great source of cheap entertainment! biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 11 2008, 12:30 PM) *

Good Luck.

This works on door to door solicitors and mail carriers as well, what a great source of cheap entertainment! biggrin.gif

av-943.gif
dbgriffith75
I advise a combination of the above suggestions:

Install the scarecrow sprinklers, then when they are spooked into the street, you can have a guy waiting to run them over in a truck; at which point you can take them to the meat locker and have them processed to eat.

It's a win-win-win situation. The neighbors think it was an accident, you get reimbursed for the damages to your truck from insurance, and you're feeding yourself and/or family for quite a while. You'll also get deer sticks to snack on while you're working on your 914. biggrin.gif

Is it a coincidence that your name is Heard?

Hehehe... I'd also like to know this.
messix
do you have any friends that are hunters?

see if you can get a deer carcass from them and hang it in the yard, show them deer what 'll happen to em!

or get a deer rack and mount it on the front of your truck and start deer callin', see if you can get a buck to fight your truck. happy11.gif
Wes V
My goodness!

Is this the worst thing in your life???

Now if they were eating the tires off of your car, I could see it.

Wes
turboman808
QUOTE(Wes V @ Jun 11 2008, 01:05 PM) *

My goodness!

Wes

Yeah seriously people just need something to bitch about. I throw food in the yard so I have more animals where I live. I have a family of skunks and ground hogs. smile.gif

Even the geese with all there shit doesn't bug me really
914Sixer
I was only trying to interject a little humor here. No, nothing, is that serious at this point. I am RETIRED.
sww914
I love that motion activated sprinkler idea!
My wife was injured at work and the insurance company has sent a PI out to our house twice to spy on us. I caught him outside at night once and he ran away. I'm going to buy one of those sprinklers FOR SURE!
effutuo101
That makes two of us! I want one for my mother in Law. People come and dig through her trash for cans and bottles all the time. Easier then shooting them with a pellet gun and less hassle
Rick_Eberle
it could be worse...

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
I have them too... Deer, wild turkey, possum, wild chickens and roosters. 30 rose bushes and I haven't seen a rose blossom in a couple years. Wolf piss huh... Probably make my dog nervous too though.
914Sixer
Actually, there is a product I use called Liquid Fence ($30 a qt at Home Depot). I seems to have a mixture of rotten eggs, other fine smelling ingredients and panther urine. It is good for about 45 days. My dogs and cat are nervous the 1st couple of days though.
GringoLoco
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Jun 11 2008, 05:51 PM) *

That makes two of us! I want one for my mother in Law. People come and dig through her trash for cans and bottles all the time. Easier then shooting them with a pellet gun and less hassle

I read the first two sentences and cracked up. I thought you wanted one to REPEL your mother in law. laugh.gif
GringoLoco
QUOTE(Rick_Eberle @ Jun 11 2008, 06:07 PM) *

it could be worse...

Click to view attachment

Nice! I'd probably let him in. Are they a pest over there? They seem like they'd be cool to have around.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Wes V @ Jun 11 2008, 03:05 PM) *

My goodness!

Wes

You obviously have not had the "wonderful" view of deer eating thousands of dollars worth of landscaping in your yard. Confront them & a bull will chase you back into your house! I left my garage door open a few years (stupid) & confronted 2 of them IN MY GARAGE when I tried to leave for work! Only thing that got them to leave was when I set of the panic alarm on the car - nieghbors LOVED that at 6:30 am!

So here's my formula for dealing with them. Create a bait, similar to ant bait. They come in the early morning, munch on the bait, go to the secret evening hideout they have - and barf thier guts out overnight! Just need someone to creat such tasty bait.

I'd kill them with a shot to the head, but then I have to deal with the carcass, and I don't like venison. Think my nieghbors might have a problem with it too. And one of them is PETA. Jesus!
GringoLoco
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 11 2008, 07:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Wes V @ Jun 11 2008, 03:05 PM) *

My goodness!

Wes

You obviously have not had the "wonderful" view of deer eating thousands of dollars worth of landscaping in your yard. Confront them & a bull will chase you back into your house! I left my garage door open a few years (stupid) & confronted 2 of them IN MY GARAGE when I tried to leave for work! Only thing that got them to leave was when I set of the panic alarm on the car - nieghbors LOVED that at 6:30 am!

So here's my formula for dealing with them. Create a bait, similar to ant bait. They come in the early morning, munch on the bait, go to the secret evening hideout they have - and barf thier guts out overnight! Just need someone to creat such tasty bait.

I'd kill them with a shot to the head, but then I have to deal with the carcass, and I don't like venison. Think my nieghbors might have a problem with it too. And one of them is PETA. Jesus!

I was going to suggest food aversion learning, but decided it wasn't a good idea. Basically it's when you lace something you don't want them eating with just enough poison to make them ill for a day or two, but not enough to actually harm them. Then they go out of their way to avoid whatever made them sick. If you've ever been waaaay too drunk/sick off of any particular type of alcohol, and you can't stand the smell of it anymore, that's food aversion learning. Really cool part is that feeding habits are learned from the parents, so their offspring won't tend to eat where their parents avoid. Problem is, what makes a deer sick might be enough to kill the neighbors cat, so unless you live on a farm or something I'd be careful there.
Wes V
Here is another thought;

It looks like some of you moved into an area where there are wild animals.

You planted roses (not natural to the area), which just scream out "eat me" and then complain when the deer stop by for lunch.

It's kind of like leaving your lunch out when camping in bear country.

Don't like deer walking (and eating) around your area; move to downtown L.A.!

I'd gladly put up with deer if I could live in that kind of area.

Wes
ericread
QUOTE(Rick_Eberle @ Jun 11 2008, 06:07 PM) *

it could be worse...

Click to view attachment

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
ericread
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 11 2008, 07:19 PM) *

Think my nieghbors might have a problem with it too. And one of them is PETA. Jesus!

So I'm confused. confused24.gif Is your neighbor PETA or is he Jesus? I think Jesus would be OK with it as long as you use the extra venison to feed the poor. As for the PETA character, unless you can convince him the deer is made of 100% Tofu, I agree you might have a problem...

rolleyes.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Wes V @ Jun 11 2008, 08:33 PM) *

Here is another thought;

It looks like some of you moved into an area where there are wild animals.

You planted roses (not natural to the area), which just scream out "eat me" and then complain when the deer stop by for lunch.

It's kind of like leaving your lunch out when camping in bear country.

Don't like deer walking (and eating) around your area; move to downtown L.A.!

I'd gladly put up with deer if I could live in that kind of area.

Wes

I wasn't complaining in the least. I have lived in this house for 10 years and the roses were there before I was. Believe me, I have no problem with the wild animals. The house has been there for 58 years. The raccoons do freak me out a little when they come right to the door and wash their paws in the dog's water bowl.
PeeGreen 914
Ohhhhh... Racoons freak me out too. The ones we have are bigger than most dogs and my cat hang out with them. I can't leave anything out because they will tear it to shreads.
Rick_Eberle
QUOTE(GringoLoco @ Jun 12 2008, 11:56 AM) *

Nice! I'd probably let him in. Are they a pest over there? They seem like they'd be cool to have around.

(I found that pic on the net)... Yeah, the farmers hate them because they'll eat the roots and all, and they tend to bring down fences.

I see them often near the rail lines in the outer suburbs of Melbourne ( I drive commuter trains.)

They're also the reason we call bull bars "Roo Bars".
sww914
I lived on a boat for a couple of years. It was a 40' trimaran, pretty roomy for a boat. Every night from about 11:00 until 2:00 or 3:00 am the sea otters would pick up gooey ducks (clams) from the bottom of the bay and break them open on the bottom of my boat. It was loud.
I got a 5 gallon bucket of gravel and kept it out on deck. Every time I saw a sea otter at night I would throw a rock next to it and the splash next to him would really freak him out. After a couple of weeks I had clearly declared an otter free zone for as far as I could throw. They wouldn't ever come within 100 feet of my boat for months.
Now I own a decent house with cool stuff like a refrigerator, satellite tv, DSL, a shower, surround sound, etc., but I still miss the boat.
alpha434
I recommend avermectin B1

That'll get 'em. And it won't leave a mess in your yard.
zymurgist
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 11 2008, 10:19 PM) *

Think my nieghbors might have a problem with it too. And one of them is PETA. Jesus!

Click to view attachment
GringoLoco
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jun 12 2008, 05:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 11 2008, 10:19 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I just sent that to every hippie friend I have. Thank you. piratenanner.gif
Challe
How about some "German deer hunting" piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Spoke
Pests? I thought it was a typo for Pets. We just got 2 fawns for the summer to take care of. We'll ween these girls off of bone meal milk and onto solid food before they go back to the farm in the fall.

Here's the 2 little ones in their new home.
Click to view attachment

My daughter feeding the littlest one. This one, #66 is only 5 days old. We named her Sophie. The other one in the background, #63 is a bit older. The boys next door named her Princess Leia. Sitting on the ground is the high school teacher who owns the deer farm.
Click to view attachment
Rick_Eberle
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jun 12 2008, 10:05 PM) *

Those two guys must have the smallest dicks in the world!
Spoke
QUOTE(Challe @ Jun 12 2008, 09:14 AM) *

How about some "German deer hunting" piratenanner.gif

I guess this is what happens when you mix Autoban speeds with deer: deer inhalation.
GringoLoco
QUOTE(Rick_Eberle @ Jun 12 2008, 06:24 AM) *

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jun 12 2008, 10:05 PM) *

Those two guys must have the smallest dicks in the world!

Yeah, that or they actually like to eat meat. You do know where those nicely wrapped little packages of meat at the grocery store come from, don't you?
Eric_Shea
This works on door to door solicitors and mail carriers as well, what a great source of cheap entertainment!

Hmmmmmmmm idea.gif

Missionaries.
jasons
QUOTE(GringoLoco @ Jun 12 2008, 09:52 AM) *

Yeah, that or they actually like to eat meat. You do know where those nicely wrapped little packages of meat at the grocery store come from, don't you?

If they like to eat rabbits, fine. Somehow though, 2 grown men arranging dead carcasses into words, any words, for a picture seems f'd up. I own guns and I hate PETA. But to me, thats just plain weird. Like, you might be a Redneck if.....
jgara962
Just my .02, but what does this have to do with cars? Doesn't this belong in the Sandbox? confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.