Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6: Differences from year to year
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2
Gustl
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Jun 12 2008, 07:14 PM) *

So you're saying that the basket weave door panels on my '70 are actually correct?

from my knowledge:

MY'70 - smooth surface
MY'71 - smooth surface
MY'72 - basket weave
MY'73 - basket weave
MY'74 - basket weave
MY'75 - basket weave (wider pattern)
MY'76 - basket weave (wider pattern)

bye1.gif Gustl
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 12 2008, 11:34 AM) *
Anyone else out there wanna break my balls for starting this topic?

Pick me! Pick me! Pick me! You're a LOSER for starting such a topic. What the hell were you thinking?!?!? w00t.gif

av-943.gif ...geez Eric, what took you so long? Busy selling off parts or what? bandit.gif

QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 12 2008, 11:35 AM) *
MY'70 - smooth surface
MY'71 - smooth surface
MY'72 - basket weave

I stand corrected on the MY '70 cars. Thought I'd read elsewhere that they were basketweave.

Lots of good info surfacing here. I'll try to summarize in one place this evening.
burton73
QUOTE(davep @ Jun 11 2008, 02:57 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 11 2008, 01:03 PM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jun 11 2008, 12:06 PM) *

Early cars had a finished cowl to fender seam, no black rubber filler strip.

i don't think that's true for any of the production cars. i have seen that on some of the prototypes, but never on a production car ...

George is correct. Quoting from the factory bulletin: effective from 4702900444 and 9140430052 fender beadings are inserted between the fender and cowl
So this is not a difference between 914/4 and 914/6, only an early vs late instance.

It is very clear that my car 9140430041 has fender beading. So what is up with that?

Bob BurtonClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jun 12 2008, 10:53 AM) *

It is very clear that my car 9140430041 has fender beading. So what is up with that?

that was my point all along. it looks like even the early *production* cars had the fender to cowl seam.
however, they did not come with the plastic seal that goes inside the seam.

the only factory car without the seam that i have seen in person is 914.114, which is a '68 prototype ...
bye1.gif Andy
mel reckling
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jun 11 2008, 08:20 PM) *

So if I'm not mistaken, the interior of the '70 Sixes were a flavor of basketweave (the door panels, seat inserts, etc.) and the '71s and '72s had the leather look, smooth finish. Is this correct?

Except for when they're cloth inserts like this.

The door panels aren't smooth either.
Gustl
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jun 12 2008, 07:45 PM) *

Thought I'd read elsewhere that they were basketweave.

don't mix up the surface of the door panels with the structure (and material) of the seat inlays - that's a completely different thing

I will provide more info about that tomorrow

now I'm in a hurry ... EURO CHAMPIONSHIP Soccer ... in Austria ... AUSTRIA vs. Poland ...

ciao guys bye1.gif
Eric_Shea
the only factory car without the seam that i have seen in person is 914.114, which is a '68 prototype ...

#11 is w/o the seam.
Gustl

MY'70 - smooth surface
MY'71 - smooth surface
MY'72 - basket weave

I stand corrected on the MY '70 cars. Thought I'd read elsewhere that they were basketweave.

MY'70 seat inlays (only in colour of trim)
- leatherette basket weave - or geniune leather basket weave at additional cost
- corduroy
- dog tooth check fabric

MY'71 seat inlays (only in colour of trim)
- leatherette perforated
- corduroy fabric

MY'72 seat inlays (only in colour of trim)
- leatherette basket weave
- corduroy fabric

MY'73 seat inlays (only in colour of trim)
- corduroy fabric

MY'74 seat inlays (only in colour of trim)
- corduroy fabric

MY'75 seat inlays (only in colour of trim)
- corduroy fabric
- only with appearance group: 9 different tartan styles, but only available with specific exterior colour combos

from my best knowledge the same for MY'76 - but no proof from my side ...

bye1.gif Gustl

6freak
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 13 2008, 07:36 AM) *

MY'70 - smooth surface
MY'71 - smooth surface
MY'72 - basket weave

- corduroy
- dog tooth check fabric

MY'71 seat inlays (only in colour of trim)
- leatherette perforated
- corduroy fabric

MY'72 seat inlays (only in colour of trim)
- corduroy fabric

MY'73 seat inlays (only in colour of trim)
- corduroy fabric

MY'74 seat inlays (only in colour of trim)
- corduroy fabric

MY'75 seat inlays (only in colour of trim)
- corduroy fabric
- only with appearance group: 9 different tartan styles, but only available with specific exterior colour combos

from my best knowledge the same for MY'76 - but no proof from my side ...

bye1.gif Gustl

IM SO CONFUSED confused24.gif av-943.gif headbang.gif popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 12 2008, 04:01 PM) *

#11 is w/o the seam.

got a picture of that?
idea.gif Andy
Eric_Shea
Yes Sir but for some reason he doesn't want them posted. sad.gif

Need to respect that request until I get the go ahead. wink.gif
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 13 2008, 07:36 AM) *
- corduroy
- dog tooth check fabric
So which year would these be? I believe them to be original because I've come across at least two /6 cars with seats like these in it. Maybe they've been recovered though? They don't seem to match the description of any of the 70-72 cars you provided.

Click to view attachment
Gustl
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jun 13 2008, 10:43 PM) *

So which year would these be? I believe them to be original because I've come across at least two /6 cars with seats like these in it. Maybe they've been recovered though? They don't seem to match the description of any of the 70-72 cars you provided.

Click to view attachment

this looks like the MY'71 "leatherette perforated" - I just checked it with the 1971 Colour Chart

order code 11 (standard equipment for the MY'1971 914 & 914/6)

all other years had the basket weave which looks completely different

bye1.gif Gustl
GeorgeRud
I seemed to start quite a discussion when I mentioned the seam. I was first told of it by Jon Lowe, who was the PCA tech advisor at that time. I seem to remember that his car had a finished seam from the factory. He has moved onto other interests, but someone may still be in contact with him.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 13 2008, 04:29 PM) *
this looks like the MY'71 "leatherette perforated" - I just checked it with the 1971 Colour Chart

order code 11 (standard equipment for the MY'1971 914 & 914/6)

all other years had the basket weave which looks completely different

bye1.gif Gustl

Ok, making sense to me now Gustl, you're a patient man. thumb3d.gif
Dave_Darling
Rats, I wish I could remember a source. I thought that some very early cars did not have a seam between the fender and cowl at all? Ah, there we go. Brett Johnson's "Restorer's Guide", which says that "...In very early cars, these seals were omitted." (p. 31, 2nd edition of the Guide.)

However, a photo on p.32 shows no seam at all, and has the caption "Metal-finished cowl seam on an early 914-6".

Thus not helping the confusion in any way whatsoever...

Rats.

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 13 2008, 10:17 PM) *

Thus not helping the confusion in any way whatsoever...

actually, i think it helps the confusion quite a lot ...

rolleyes.gif Andy
Gustl
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jun 14 2008, 12:51 AM) *

Ok, making sense to me now Gustl, you're a patient man. thumb3d.gif

I do my best to contribute desired infos beerchug.gif

unfortunately this thread seems to have some bad carma sad.gif
Eric_Shea
unfortunately this thread seems to have some bad carma

Agree... just spent a lot of time with the mop and bucket. If it goes astray again Reid's dog gets it!

Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
Good think I don't believe in carma or Karma biggrin.gif

So how many 914-6GTs were made and what was the years/ options on those. How about the 916s. They are sixes too right biggrin.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jun 14 2008, 09:27 PM) *

How about the 916s. They are sixes too right biggrin.gif

==> Gustl's Porsche 916 info page

bye1.gif Gustl
PeeGreen 914
Thanks Wolfgang

Any info on the Engines that came in them?
Lavanaut
[woof]

Nicely done Eric, thanks. thumb3d.gif

Jon, I'm thinking it would be nice to stick to the "standard" Sixes for the purposes of this thread...at least, that's what I was after when I started it. smile.gif As we've seen this information can be confusing enough as it is!

One thing I've always been curious about was the use of gold emblems ("PORSCHE", "914-6") vs. the more standard silver finish. Was this a "depends on the car's color" thing, or was there more to it than that?
carr914
My carrma ran oer your dogma biggrin.gif

T.C.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jun 14 2008, 02:56 PM) *

[woof]

Nicely done Eric, thanks. thumb3d.gif

Jon, I'm thinking it would be nice to stick to the "standard" Sixes for the purposes of this thread...at least, that's what I was after when I started it. smile.gif As we've seen this information can be confusing enough as it is!

One thing I've always been curious about was the use of gold emblems ("PORSCHE", "914-6") vs. the more standard silver finish. Was this a "depends on the car's color" thing, or was there more to it than that?

aktion035.gif Cool. Sorry if I got it off track for you.
Gustl
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jun 14 2008, 10:56 PM) *

rear panel:
all USA 914-6 cars had gold anodized aluminium scripts => 914-6
all ROW 914-6 cars had gold anodized aluminium scripts => 914-6-VW-PORSCHE

engine lid:
all USA 914-6 cars had gold anodized aluminium scripts => PORSCHE
all ROW 914-6 cars had no scripts

at later MY cars (914-4) the colour and material was different

bye1.gif Gustl
PeeGreen 914
I really want one of those 914-6-VW-PORSCHE badges biggrin.gif
carr914
Auto Atlanta has them in stock I think
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 14 2008, 03:57 PM) *

Auto Atlanta has them in stock I think

Really? piratenanner.gif I looked everywhere but there. I may need to breakdown and order one from them. aktion035.gif
carr914
Jon, Page 118 of their catalog. Item G914 559 112 10 $145. PM smg914, 1 of my best friends here in Tampa & in the 914 community, known him too long biggrin.gif . He's retired, going bald, is an agent for AA and needs the commission. He will be at my house tomorrow. If you don't want to order directly from AA, I can get him to get me one and we can trade something.

T.C.
PeeGreen 914
Sounds good to me T.C. Let me know.
gms
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jun 12 2008, 01:53 PM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Jun 11 2008, 02:57 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 11 2008, 01:03 PM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jun 11 2008, 12:06 PM) *

Early cars had a finished cowl to fender seam, no black rubber filler strip.

i don't think that's true for any of the production cars. i have seen that on some of the prototypes, but never on a production car ...

George is correct. Quoting from the factory bulletin: effective from 4702900444 and 9140430052 fender beadings are inserted between the fender and cowl
So this is not a difference between 914/4 and 914/6, only an early vs late instance.

Bob BurtonClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

The important difference is that the cowl and fenders were changed after 4702900444/9140430052 my car (914.043.0012) had the black bead in it but this was most likely done by the PO, 914.043.0011 is leaded.

I have attached 2 photo the red one is 914.043.0012. note the contour of the fender edge and the width between the a-pillar and the seam.
gms
here is #41 marked up
gms
Here is 914.043.0035 it had a filled seam
Lavanaut
QUOTE(gms @ Sep 1 2008, 03:39 PM) *

I have attached 2 photo the red one is 914.043.0012.

Is that bahia red? Original color?

I came up with a few more:

1. Dash vents were introduced in 72 which meant:
2. The glove box got narrower
3. The dash top had a narrower opening for the (now narrower) glove box

Also the rear view mirror (interior) is tiny in the 70 cars and may have been used in early 71 cars but I haven't been able to confirm that... idea.gif

Reid

smontanaro
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Sep 3 2008, 08:00 PM) *
Also the rear view mirror (interior) is tiny in the 70 cars and may have been used in early 71 cars but I haven't been able to confirm that...

Got dimensions for "tiny" and not tiny? Maybe a side-by-side pic?

Thx,

Skip

gms
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Sep 3 2008, 08:00 PM) *

QUOTE(gms @ Sep 1 2008, 03:39 PM) *

I have attached 2 photo the red one is 914.043.0012.

Is that bahia red? Original color?

The color is Guards Red, silver was the original color.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Sep 3 2008, 08:17 PM) *

Got dimensions for "tiny" and not tiny? Maybe a side-by-side pic?

Actually yeah, I can do dimensions and a side-by-side here in the next couple weeks. I'll post back here when I can.

What I'd like to do for this thread is do a side-by-side (or at least picture-by-picture) example for all of the differences discussed. idea.gif
Lavanaut
Thanks to Rusty for moving this topic to the originality forum! Pat pointed out early-on that it should have been started here in the first place, and I ended up agreeing. My bad.

Hopefully we can continue to add to it!

Reid
sixerdon
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jun 11 2008, 10:52 AM) *

Does a thread like this already exist? I did check in the "Originality and History" forum, but didn't find it there.

Thanks

After a good amount of info from all sorts of people added to this thread, I went back and skimmed what I could wrap my head around. Here's what I've come up with (slowly adding links to pics as I have time):

Cowl-to-Fender Seam: absent (metal-filled) or empty for very early 70 (up to #49), rubber seam thereafter. confused24.gif
Ignition Switch: on dash, left of column for 70 & 71, on right side of column for 72
Interior Mirror: small version for 70, larger for 71 & 72
Dash Top: wide opening for glovebox for 70 & 71, narrower for 72 (to accommodate dash vents)
Dash Vents: Absent for 70 & 71, present for 72
Door Panels: smooth vinyl for 70 & 71, basketweave for 72
Glove Box: wide for 70 & 71, narrow for 72 (to accommodate dash vents)
Main Wire Harness: /4 harness for 72 cars
Passenger Seat: fixed for 70 & 71, moveable for 72
Rear Bumper: squared off for 70 and early 71, rounded for later 71 and 72
Seat Inserts: smooth vinyl for 71, basketweave for 70 & 72
Seatbelts: non-retractable for 70 & 71, retractable for 72
Steering Column: /4 steering column for 72 cars

If you know of further differences, please post to this thread and I'll include them in this list. And thanks to everyone who's contributed! beerchug.gif

Reid

Reid,
I totally missed your ensemble of differences you've now listed on the front end of this thread since it got moved here from the garage. Not sure if anybody else saw this or not. A few items I'd like to address;
I have two '71 parts cars. Both have the small mirrors.
The early seat belts were installed in most '72's until about June of that year. See Mel Rekling's '72 six interior pictures.
The broad statement of the main wiring harness being the same as the /4 needs a lot of clarification. I would say that it could be the same as a ROW /4 from the dash forward, but from the dash back to the engine is quite different because of the engines. Again, as has been stated before, the '72 /6 is a ROW car and wasn't officially imported.
And......don't forget the foot rest in the '70 & '71 cars. The carpets are also different in a '72 with a foam block on the front bulkhead replacing the foot rest.
Really, the bottom line here is that the basic body and trim is a /4, the basic mechanicals are /6. (Even then I don't like that broad statement) The '72 six is unique to itself and very rare in this country.
Anyway, keep working on this thread. I'm sure more can be added from others.

Don
Lavanaut
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Sep 13 2008, 07:42 PM) *

Reid,
I totally missed your ensemble of differences you've now listed on the front end of this thread since it got moved here from the garage. Not sure if anybody else saw this or not.

Good point Don. I've updated the topic's title, hopefully it'll help.

I have two '71 parts cars. Both have the small mirrors.

My '71 does too, good catch.

The early seat belts were installed in most '72's until about June of that year. See Mel Rekling's '72 six interior pictures.

Really? How does that work with an adjustable seat? Or were the seats not adjustable for the whole MY 72?

The broad statement of the main wiring harness being the same as the /4 needs a lot of clarification. I would say that it could be the same as a ROW /4 from the dash forward, but from the dash back to the engine is quite different because of the engines.

I've updated the wording on this one to try to be more specific. Let me know if you think I've still not captured it correctly.

And......don't forget the foot rest in the '70 & '71 cars. The carpets are also different in a '72 with a foam block on the front bulkhead replacing the foot rest.

Added!

Anyway, keep working on this thread. I'm sure more can be added from others.

That's my hope as well. Thanks for your contributions Don. smile.gif

Reid
Lavanaut
Mel has confirmed that the seatbelts in his '72 are non-retractable, so it looks like they were for all the sixes.

thanks Mel!
mel reckling
Here's a shot, sorry it came out so bad.

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.