Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pulled the gas tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
championgt1
Well I decided to pull the tank after finding out there is no filter up front( pump has been moved up front) and seeing very bad fuel lines up front. Good thing I did, the filter sock was shot to say the least. The area under the tank is in fairly good shap with a few spots of rust and alot of dirt and grime. The rust is not structural which is good.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I am not sure if this is the first time the tank has been out or not. It is amazing what you will find in the area under the tank besides dirt, grime, and rust.(razor blades, paper towels, washer nozzle, snap-on tool, sanding disk, ect. ect.)

Suprisingly the inside of the tank is pretty clean. The outside has a few areas of light rust which I will clean up and paint.

Click to view attachment

So instead of replacing the filter it will be a little more involved. (While your in there syndrome)

My plan is to clean the area under the tank with oil eater, and give it a hot water bath, use some mar-hyde to convert the rust and then paint everthing.

This will be my first experience trying to git rid of rust and also painting. I hope it turns out good. Stay tuned for updates and pictures as I progress along.

bye1.gif

Jack

championgt1
A few more pictures.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

While I am up front I am also going to clean up the front trunk and paint some areas there as well.

Click to view attachment

PeeGreen 914
piratenanner.gif Keep up the work Jack... Someday we'll get to see your car on the AX course biggrin.gif
championgt1
Thanks Jon. While I was contemplating taking out the tank I did manage to get my new Triad installed. Sounds like a million bucks even at just an idle. Can't wait to hear it at about 5000 rpm.

Click to view attachment

Tom
While you are in there, (ha,ha) you might check out your cold air blower. I think the tank has to come out to get the blower out and I'm sure you will not want to pull the tank again anytime soon.
I need to get my blower out and I'm just putting it off till later. I know I will need to clean up the tank and tank area then also. Wish I had your energy right now.
Yep, them Triads do sound nice, don't they. Wife says too loud, what does she know?! I back dated my 76 with dave's sshe's and the Triad all at once. Lots of bucks, but the sound is soo nice.
Tom
914werke
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jun 17 2008, 09:35 PM) *

Danm that looks suprisingly clean beer.gif
Jack, OT, but but what shocks to you have on the rear?
Root_Werks
Under your gas tank area doesn't look that bad at all. Clean, clean, clean and paint, assemble and drive!

driving.gif
championgt1
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jun 17 2008, 11:03 PM) *

QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jun 17 2008, 09:35 PM) *

Danm that looks suprisingly clean beer.gif
Jack, OT, but but what shocks to you have on the rear?

Thanks it is pretty clean underneath. I am not 100% sure what shocks it has. Car has the factory front and rear swaybars.(apperance group) not sure what shocks came with that. I doubt they are the original ones though. I am guessing bilsteins for shocks. confused24.gif
URY914
Have a close look at your tank where it meets that felt pad on the driver's side. That rust stain looks bad. On my car the felt pad was wet and lead to a rust hole the same size as the pad.

Inspect your tank and remove the felt pad and replace with rubber.
rhodyguy
the exterior tank rust hasn't even pitted the surface. more of a stain. debris accumulated inbetween the spot on the tank and the pass side of the well. jack's car would idle and die or not start at all until after a few minutes of the pump running. air bubbles were evident while cranking. no filter was installed after the tank outlet and prior to the pump. the screen looked as tho it had folded over because of being plugged when under suction. show the old tank screen jack. clean it up and let's put the tank in.

i've read in a few threads of priming the pump with engine oil? is that correct?

k
kpfoten
Just took mine out last week! What a dirty mess... Would recommend asking the PO about the condition of the front fuel lines if buying a used 914--I was lucky I pulled mine because the dry-rot on the hoses caused an immediate leak...

Where can you get thick rubber padding to replace the felt?

Thanks,

Kris
URY914
You can use anything you find for the rubber pad. Cut a piece out of your "WELCOME" mat.
rhodyguy
jack, check out the pump thread at club and post a pict of the pump as it's currently configured.

jack's car has an odd configuration on 2 of the lines, t'd on the r&d ports iirc.
ericread
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 18 2008, 07:46 AM) *

the exterior tank rust hasn't even pitted the surface. more of a stain. debris accumulated inbetween the spot on the tank and the pass side of the well. jack's car would idle and die or not start at all until after a few minutes of the pump running. air bubbles were evident while cranking. no filter was installed after the tank outlet and prior to the pump. the screen looked as tho it had folded over because of being plugged when under suction. show the old tank screen jack. clean it up and let's put the tank in.

i've read in a few threads of priming the pump with engine oil? is that correct?

k

Sorry, this is kind of a hijack;

I keep hearing about the need to prime the gas pump upon fuel tank re-installation. I have removed my fuel tank several times, and even replaced the fuel lines with the stainless-steel lines. Not once did I have any issue with the fuel pump failing to work properly.

What is the rational behind the idea of priming the fuel pump with motor oil, and how real is this issue?

My thanks!
championgt1
Here is a picture of the filter sock that came out of the tank. It has a tear at the bottom and you can see how it is collapsed. My thinking is that under suction it just sucks itself flat thus low or no fuel flow. We will see.

Click to view attachment
dflesburg
while you are there...

1. add front sway bar
2. replace fuel lines
3. move fuel pump to front

JMO.
championgt1
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jun 18 2008, 11:38 AM) *

while you are there...

1. add front sway bar
2. replace fuel lines
3. move fuel pump to front

JMO.

1. sway bar there-check
2.new fuel lines-check
3.fue pump is up front already-check
kpfoten
Okay--the replacement to the felt is right under my nose--cut up an old MOUSE PAD!

(my $0.02 for the day..)

championgt1
QUOTE(kpfoten @ Jun 18 2008, 11:46 AM) *

Okay--the replacement to the felt is right under my nose--cut up an old MOUSE PAD!

(my $0.02 for the day..)

I have been thinking about this. Great idea! I think I will try that.
ericread
QUOTE(kpfoten @ Jun 18 2008, 11:46 AM) *

(my $0.02 for the day..)

Great Idea!!! smilie_pokal.gif
rhodyguy
targa top headliner felt. everyone has 1 extra top, right? while the tank is out now would be the time to r&r the thru body anti-sway bar bushings.
Spoke
QUOTE(kpfoten @ Jun 18 2008, 02:46 PM) *

(my $0.02 for the day..)

Home Depot sells square felt furniture pads for protecting floors. These come with adhesive on the backside and are perfect for padding the gas tank. I don't worry much about moisture as my 914 rarely sees the rain.
championgt1
Spent about 2 hours tonight cleaning up the front trunk and area under the gas tank with some oil eater and a little elbow grease. Much more to do, but so far so good.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
take out your fresh air box and clean out the 30 years of leaves and pineneedles that have accumulated in there ...

shades.gif Andy
championgt1
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 18 2008, 09:38 PM) *

take out your fresh air box and clean out the 30 years of leaves and pineneedles that have accumulated in there ...

shades.gif Andy

Good idea! Might as well. beerchug.gif
NoEcm

shades.gif Andy

If you’re going to do that, repaint the fresh air intake grille back to black.

IPB Image
PeeGreen 914
agree.gif
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(NoEcm @ Jun 19 2008, 04:58 AM) *

shades.gif Andy

If you’re going to do that, repaint the fresh air intake grille back to black.

IPB Image

In this pic it looks like there are " rust trails" on either side of the air box from water leaks thru the windshield wiper bases. Mine has the same, does anyone else agree that's where it's coming from?
championgt1
Well it has been a little while since I have really had an oppurtunity to work on my car. Got about 3 hours in tonight. Cleanup is done and all the rust areas have been given the Mar-Hyde treatment. Rust turns black, pretty cool.

Friday I am going to tape everything off and paint. Hopefully it turns out good.

A few pictures after cleanup and Mar-hyde.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
championgt1
Another picture of the area under the tank.

Click to view attachment

Also replaced the outer fresh air tubes that were bad.

Click to view attachment
championgt1
Been awhile but got a little more progress done today. Tapped off all the areas I did not want to paint. Put on a couple coats of paint. As soon as it dries the tank will go back in. piratenanner.gif driving.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
6freak
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Aug 25 2008, 12:17 PM) *

Been awhile but got a little more progress done today. Tapped off all the areas I did not want to paint. Put on a couple coats of paint. As soon as it dries the tank will go back in. piratenanner.gif driving.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Pay super close attention to the sway bar bushing and mounting bolts through the fender my Dad just removed his tank and it was not good ...its gonna require welding and plates for more support.....and hey paint that screen on the fresh air intake ....good luck
and clean the fresh air box
PeeGreen 914
Yeah... it is supposed to be black wink.gif

So are you going to have it out at the AX on the 30th?
championgt1
Sway bar mounting points are good. Bushings are pretty new.

I would like to paint the screen but am sort of afraid to take the system apart.
SirAndy
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jun 18 2008, 08:31 PM) *

Spent about 2 hours tonight cleaning up the front trunk and area under the gas tank with some oil eater and a little elbow grease. Much more to do, but so far so good.

Looks like your car was hit in the front at one point. You have a factory replacement front panel ...
bye1.gif Andy
championgt1
Sorry for the dumb question. Andy, what panel are you talking about?
PeeGreen 914
The one at the very front of your car. There looks to be a few circles that are filled in. The cars came from the factory with those holes open and with plugs in them. Look at the picture of you wheel well that looks to the front. You'll see it. Right by the wiring harness.
championgt1
Thanks Jon. I see what you are talking about. Hit huh? No shit!
PeeGreen 914
Very comon for that area on these cars. A 10 MPH crash will cause it to be replaced and not damage anything else. Car looks great Jack. I can't wait to see it in person.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.