Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mallory Unilite and VDO oil pressure sender
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
So, my 2056 has a Mallory Unilite. I wanted to add an oil pressure guage, so I hopped over to Pelican and bought the VDO gauge and sender. the sender had contacts for both the the oil light and the sender.

After taking the tin off the 3/4 back to install, I figure out that the VDO sender won't fit with the Mallory in place, they are just too big.

Will the sender that does not also support the oil light allow both the Unilite and the VDO sender to fit? Or is the sender case the same size, but with just 1 terminal?

Is there another sender that will work, fer sure?

Zach
SLITS
Get a grease gun hose and screw it into block and screw sender into it .... make sure you ground the case of the sender to the block. Hose should give enough flexibility to clear that overpriced dizzy.
southernmost914
Like this:Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
Will any grease gun hose work, or is there a specific kind that had the right fittings?

Zach
SLITS
As long as it is 1/8" NPT fittings anyone will suffice.

Generally, no tape or sealer on the threads ..... don't lean on it when screwing it into the ALUMINUM case. Pipe threads seal themselves without being overly tight.
ChrisFoley
You can find such a hose at most auto parts stores.
r_towle
Paint ball gun hose also works...and looks better.

Rich
chris914
Is the fitting in the case 1/8" NPT or metric?
Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 21 2008, 02:24 PM) *

Get a grease gun hose and screw it into block and screw sender into it .... make sure you ground the case of the sender to the block. Hose should give enough flexibility to clear that overpriced dizzy.

I haven't heard the unilite called overpriced, is there a cheaper alternative? I'm putting together another ignition system and if I could save some dough that'd be nice.
t collins
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 21 2008, 02:22 PM) *

Paint ball gun hose also works...and looks better.

Rich

agree.gif

It's braided stainless steel!!!!!
southernmost914
agree.gif stainless does take care of any ground trouble!!! mines well to the negative.
ericread
When you run that extension hose, do you need to do anything to remove the air from the line so that the oil is directly in contact with the sensor?

SLITS
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 21 2008, 08:41 PM) *

When you run that extension hose, do you need to do anything to remove the air from the line so that the oil is directly in contact with the sensor?

They are pretty well self purging over a little time. I've never bled one, but I can't see that it would hurt. Maybe messy, but no harm, no foul. We ran all mechanical guages.

As far as my comment about the Unilite .... just my opinion. For street use, I prefer the Crane Optical at 1/2 the cost .... and yes, I am cheap.
bryanc
QUOTE(chris914 @ Jun 21 2008, 03:50 PM) *

Is the fitting in the case 1/8" NPT or metric?

The case is metric, but 1/8 NPT is almost identical to the threads in the case.
chris914
Here is mine.

Click to view attachment
jetboy
QUOTE(chris914 @ Jun 22 2008, 01:00 PM) *

From the looks of that engine... it sure seems mighty homeless there on the floor. If it would help, I have a perfectly good engine bay that it can live in rent free. Just an option driving.gif
chris914
So do I. LOL

But it's +100F out today!

Click to view attachment
r_towle
QUOTE(jetboy @ Jun 22 2008, 04:59 PM) *

QUOTE(chris914 @ Jun 22 2008, 01:00 PM) *

From the looks of that engine... it sure seems mighty homeless there on the floor. If it would help, I have a perfectly good engine bay that it can live in rent free. Just an option driving.gif

I love those air cleaner covers...would suck in a backfire, but they do look cool.

Rich
chris914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 22 2008, 03:05 PM) *

I love those air cleaner covers...would suck in a backfire, but they do look cool.

Rich

I made them. I was just having fun. I'll let you know how they work out.

Sorry for semi hi-jacking the post Zach.

chris914
I can put any text or image on top of them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.