Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fun fact for your drive to seattle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
TravisNeff
In 1979, the square dance was designated as the official Washington state dance

Eighty percent of the glacial ice in the U.S is found in Washington State.

In Seattle it is illegal to carry a fishbowl or aquarium onto a bus because the sound of the water sloshing may disturb other passengers.

The Farmer's Market at Pike Place Market, since 1907, is the longest continuously operating farmer's market in the US.

It is against the law to set fire to another person's property without prior permission in Seattle.

Vancouver, Washington requires all motor vehicles to carry anchors as an emergency brake.

Seattle's houseboat population is the largest east of the Orient.

The Washington State Ferry System is the largest Ferry System in the US and the state's number one tourist attraction.

Snoqualmie Falls plunges 100 feet further than Niagara Falls.

At low tide, there can be up to 786 islands in the Puget Sound.

The Mercer Island Floating Bridge (now I-90), built in 1950 was the first floating bridge in the world.
greenie
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 24 2008, 03:58 PM) *

In 1979, the square dance was designated as the official Washington state dance

Eighty percent of the glacial ice in the U.S is found in Washington State.

In Seattle it is illegal to carry a fishbowl or aquarium onto a bus because the sound of the water sloshing may disturb other passengers.

The Farmer's Market at Pike Place Market, since 1907, is the longest continuously operating farmer's market in the US.

It is against the law to set fire to another person's property without prior permission in Seattle.

Vancouver, Washington requires all motor vehicles to carry anchors as an emergency brake.

Seattle's houseboat population is the largest east of the Orient.

The Washington State Ferry System is the largest Ferry System in the US and the state's number one tourist attraction.

Snoqualmie Falls plunges 100 feet further than Niagara Falls.

At low tide, there can be up to 786 islands in the Puget Sound.

The Mercer Island Floating Bridge (now I-90), built in 1950 was the first floating bridge in the world.

Travis,

I'm hanging with you! I've lived here my entire life and didn't know half this stuff!

A few fun Washington residents:

Ted Bundy "what a guy"

Gary Ridgeway " Green River Gary" as known by is co-workers at the Kenworth plant in Renton

Robert Yates He tore up the folks in Spokane for a few years.

Maybe something in the air/water brings out our best?

Greenie
ericread
GREAT STUFF!!! av-943.gif

I am so tempted to carry a fishbowl on a bus next time I get to Seattle!!!

TravisNeff
Here's a few more. I admit Google did help me on these. http://www.legendsofamerica.com/WA-Facts.html

Mount St. Helen's lost 1,131 feet of elevation in the May 1980 eruption and spewed forth about one cubic mile of dust, ash and debris. The blast leveled over four billion feet of usable timber, enough to build 150,000 homes.

The highest point in Washington is Mount Rainier. It was named after Peter Rainier, a British soldier who fought against the Americans in the Revolutionary War.

On the afternoon of July 4, 1947, Frank Ryman, an off-duty U.S. Coast Guard Yeoman, snaps the first photograph of an alleged flying saucer from the yard of his home in Lake City, north of Seattle.

In Washington , lollipops are banned.

A badly worded law in Washington states that when two trains come to a crossing, neither shall go until the other has passed.

Washington is the birthplace of Jimi Hendrix in Seattle and Bing Crosby in Tacoma.

Here's a couple that I know:

Jimi Hendrix and Bruce Lee are buried in the greater Seattle area methinks.

Seattle's chinatown is the 2nd largest asian neighborhood 2nd to San Francisco.

The wetest place in Washington is La Push Washington with the highest annual rainfall.

What other state where you can have coastline, mountains, high desert & rain forest within about a 2 hour drive from each other.

TravisNeff
K, Last one.

If you need a pick me up on the way to the WCC, you can always stop for a cup of joe in Tukwilla - now that's a cup-o-cofee!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/loca...eegirls22e.html
TravisNeff
So more yet. You can visit bohems candies and maybe if you are lucky you can help pack fudge.

Visit the salish lodge at the top of snoqualmie falls (15 mins away). Ride the sucker train in snoqualmie. Hit the outlet mall in noth bend (which is the town where my dad lived so I guess that was me half time) that was the theme town for “twin peaks tv show“

Over the pass in rosalyn that was the theme place for the tv show, hell I can't remember

Hit jay berrys piizza and pasta, it used to be in issy now in north bend, I was a cook there for about 4 years. Turned down a job at the salish lodge, a 4 star restaurant-would have changed my life

I spent a couple years at the kirkland roaster but I am not sure they are still there. 100 beers on tap.

Fun roads in issaquah? Plenty. Pine lake plataeu cougar mountain and tiger mountian. 212th going from eastlake sammamish road commonly known as “snake hill“, the backside of the plataeu to the redmond duvall road I think. The bottom of 212th going into redmond.

Sammamish state park where bundy preyed, still a great park, pine lake, beaver lake and..... 20 min away from issy there is snoqualmie pass with 3 bavarian ski villages are, good for mountain biking in the summer

History, right next to the holiday inn used to be the biggest drop zone in western wa, skydiving. And pickering farms.

Hit ballard with the giant troll under the bridge, seattle center, on the watewrfront- the aquarium and the “ye old curiosity shop“ where you can see a real life mummy. Ride the ferry to shaw island where a bunch of nuns run the country store.
Root_Werks
Travis, very cool stuff! I hadn't heard of many of those.

Too bad the Kingdome is gone. That was another world record holder as well.

There is also the Seattle underground tours. Most folks probably don't know that most of downtown seattle use to be on full story lower than it is now. They simply rebuilt streets "up" a level with many buildings basements still having elaborate store fronts under ground!
6freak
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jun 25 2008, 08:03 AM) *

Travis, very cool stuff! I hadn't heard of many of those.

Too bad the Kingdome is gone. That was another world record holder as well.

There is also the Seattle underground tours. Most folks probably don't know that most of downtown seattle use to be on full story lower than it is now. They simply rebuilt streets "up" a level with many buildings basements still having elaborate store fronts under ground!

been here all my life and didnt know half of that stuff tooo cool.But I do know that rosalyn was the town of twin peaks and that goffy painting is well keep for tourist...Jimmie and Bruce are at the Renton highlands cemetary when i was young man me and some buddys set next to jimmies grave and sparked one up. aktion035.gif .long time ago...there so much cool stuff around this state why would anyone want to leave it ....O and the biggest octipus in the world is under the narrows bridge...whats the king dome record beside the biggest joke for tax payers
JRust
I'm not sure I want to come now! Your not going to be spouting off these WA facts the whole time are you ar15.gif

Hell who cares! I can't wait to make the trip. It is coming quickly biggrin.gif
mstein95
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 25 2008, 01:59 AM) *

Over the pass in rosalyn that was the theme place for the tv show, hell I can't remember

Northern Exposure is the show you are refering to. santa_smiley.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 25 2008, 12:59 AM) *

You can visit bohems candies

Boehm's rocks! I love the Scotch Treats and the single bean Criollo chocolate.
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 25 2008, 12:59 AM) *

Hit ballard with the giant troll under the bridge, seattle center, on the watewrfront- the aquarium and the “ye old curiosity shop“ where you can see a real life mummy.

Sylvester is the most well known of the oddities at Ye Olde Curiosity Shop, but there are lost of other freaky things there...
TravisNeff
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 25 2008, 02:01 PM) *

I'm not sure I want to come now! Your not going to be spouting off these WA facts the whole time are you ar15.gif

Hell who cares! I can't wait to make the trip. It is coming quickly biggrin.gif

Nope, I pulled out all the silverware from the drawer on that one.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 24 2008, 01:44 PM) *

ah...yes. eveROTt never had that dubious stench factor rolleyes.gif . perhaps you're too young to remember jon but the reek covered marsville and all the way to meadowdale when the wind was just right. contrary to popular belief the old Amour (hygrade) meat packing plant and the associated byproduct rendering plants contibuted a great deal to the smell one USED to experience while driving thru tacoma. the simpson pulp plant now scrubs the odiferous emissions. if you spent any time in tacoma you would realize this. sorry to point out your ignorance.

k

I actually remember when I was very young. My parents house sits on the bluff between downtown Everett and the Mukilteo Ferry looking from downtown all the way ovewr to Whidbey Island. You could see the sticky plants from there. However, after the early 80's the smells stopped and Everett started to change. I still don't admit I was raised in Everett as I was always associated with Mukilteo.

I do spend some time in Tacoma, and it does still have a smell to it. I have not noticed anything for the past 6 months, but last September I was down seeing a friend and it stank.

Maybe it's not my ignorance but rather your getting used to it biggrin.gif
effutuo101
You have to go see the VW eating Troll!
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2236

always good for a laugh, then down the hill for greek food. Walk the Locks, stroll around the park, watch the salmon swim up the ladder, what ever you want.
rhodyguy
effective today use of a hand held cell phone while driving is considered a secondary offense. you can't get pulled over just for talking. but...make an illegal lane change or any other offense and i'll cost ya an additonal $124. they'll be looking for any excuse.

k
ericread
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 1 2008, 07:39 AM) *

effective today use of a hand held cell phone while driving is considered a secondary offense. you can't get pulled over just for talking. but...make an illegal lane change or any other offense and i'll cost ya an additonal $124. they'll be looking for any excuse.

k

Effective today use of a hand held cell phone while driving in California is considered a PRIMARY offense. You CAN get pulled over just for talking. First vialation $20.00, raising to $50.00 after that.

LS6/914
Winlock, WA is the egg capitol of the world....Largest egg is displayed at the rail crossing grade in town. Kelso has the 10ft tall kelso kangaroo and her young son forbes.......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.