Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fun fact for your drive to seattle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
rhodyguy
have WI-FI access. usually free cookies and coffee/hot choclate too. insta updates!!
SirAndy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 24 2008, 06:32 AM) *

have WI-FI access. usually free cookies and coffee/hot choclate too. insta updates!!

we were thinking about doing more or less live updates along the way ...
type.gif Andy
ericread
Fun Facts?

Eugene was named for Eugene Skinner. Skinner's Butte Park in Eugene is named in his honor.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 24 2008, 10:05 AM) *

Eugene was named for Eugene Skinner. Skinner's Butte Park in Eugene is named in his honor.

is that him?
ericread
Fun Facts: Albany Oregon

Albany is the home of the Oregon State Police

Albany lies in two counties. Albany is the largest city in Linn County, and is the second largest city in Benton County! Albany is Oregon's 12th largest city.

ericread
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 24 2008, 11:11 AM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 24 2008, 10:05 AM) *

is that him?

An amazingly close resemblence!!!
Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
Looks like Ted Bundy.... Also from Washington sad.gif
ericread
Fun Facts: Salem

Salem is Oregon's second largest city and the State Capital. The film :One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" was filmed at the Oregon State Hospital in Salem. (The book was written by Ken Kesey, whose younger brother I went to school with in Eugene. The younger brother died in a farm accident during his junior high years). ;-(

Other than the State Mental Hospital and the State Capital (if you can tell them apart) I've got nuthin else...

Salem is just...... Salem.

KELTY360
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 24 2008, 11:28 AM) *

Fun Facts: Salem

Salem is Oregon's second largest city and the State Capital. The film :One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" was filmed at the Oregon State Hospital in Salem. (The book was written by Ken Kesey, whose younger brother I went to school with in Eugene. The younger brother died in a farm accident during his junior high years). ;-(

Other than the State Mental Hospital and the State Capital (if you can tell them apart) I've got nuthin else...

Salem is just...... Salem.

Salem also marks the mid point between the equator and the north pole. But everybody knows that. poke.gif
ericread
Fun Facts: Portland

Since I grew up in Eugene, I never really understood Portland. It was the evil "BIG CITY"!

But let's get to some facts:
1. It always rains in Portland. This is true. If you do not see rain during your visit, it is probably because of a mental block. Believe me, it's raining.

2. Portland has the worst traffic of any city in the western hemisphere! This is also true. It's not that there are so many cars as there are so many bad drivers!

3. Skid Row (Skid Road) is associated with the part of town characterized by bars and flop houses. Skid Row is a magnet for poor, often alcoholic, transient workers, said to be "on the skids." Not true. It is now not politically correct to call this area "Skid Row". Correct young Portlandinians now call this "Burnside Street". Burnside street is now Portland's busines street (YAY for bars and flophouses!)

4. Portland is an especially beautiful city. No one really knows the answer to this. Between the fog, rain, bars and flophouses, it's pretty hard to get a good visual of the area. Besides, you'll be fighting traffic too hard to be able to look around anyway.

ericread
Fun Facts:

Well, that about does it for me. Growing up in Oregon really let's me take a clear and fair view of the exciting cities of which you'll be traveling. I'm sure every Oregonian will agree with each of my fun facts, especially the folks from Portland!!! biggrin.gif

Anyway, I leave you here for some Washingtonianm, Washingtonington, Warshingtonian, err... person from Washington to assist you with Fun Facts as you travel ever northward toward your teener gathering.

Blue skies and green lights to all of you! beerchug.gif

PeeGreen 914
Seattle actually has the original skid road. It was down Yestler Street and is now know as Pioneer square where it was termed Skid row.
Root_Werks
As you guys pass up through into WA, just before Olympia there is the Great Wolf Resort. New and some sort of HUGE indoor water park. We swung by there just to check it out. Pretty neat place for a rest stop. But you cannot play in the water park unless you're a guest. Sucks, but if you have to stop and happen to see it, cool place to check out nontheless.
ericread
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jun 24 2008, 11:51 AM) *

Seattle actually has the original skid road. It was down Yestler Street and is now know as Pioneer square where it was termed Skid row.

Like Portland, it was actually where they would "skid" logs down to the waterfront. Hence the original term "Skid Road".

If anybody has the chance to spend some time in Seattle, the "Underground Tour" is really cool!

bye1.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 24 2008, 02:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jun 24 2008, 11:51 AM) *

Like Portland, it was actually where they would "skid" logs down to the waterfront. Hence the original term "Skid Road".

If anybody has the chance to spend some time in Seattle, the "Underground Tour" is really cool!

bye1.gif

Portland Oregon...
Fun fact, look it up.

Highest per capita number of strippers in any US city.

Rich
PeeGreen 914
So you're saying a lot of women in Portland work for their dad? av-943.gif
ericread
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jun 24 2008, 12:18 PM) *

So you're saying a lot of women in Portland work for their dad? av-943.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif At least they're keeping it in the family...
andys
And Portland smells terrible (or it did when all those pulp mills were there). Of course if you live there, "what smell?"

My Brother lives in Sheridan (30 miles NW of Salem), and my Dad had a small farm in Grand Ronde.

Andys
TravisNeff
The only stinky pulp mill there is between Portand and Eugene.

Cottage Grove, OR "Covered Bridge Capital of the West"
ericread
QUOTE(andys @ Jun 24 2008, 12:21 PM) *

And Portland smells terrible (or it did when all those pulp mills were there). Of course if you live there, "what smell?"

My Brother lives in Sheridan (30 miles NW of Salem), and my Dad had a small farm in Grand Ronde.

Andys

You probably remember the paper pulp mill in Albany, and, of course, the Wa Chang minerals plant. STINKY!!!! But us Eugenians (University of Oregon) always assumed it was just the unwashed student-body of Oregon State University that created that smell from nearby Corvalis!!! poke.gif
ericread
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 24 2008, 12:24 PM) *

The only stinky pulp mill there is between Portand and Eugene.

Cottage Grove, OR "Covered Bridge Capital of the West"

I had an Uncle that was of mostly Indian decscent that lived above Cottege Grove. Built a three-story log cabin up there - it was pretty incredible. Had a water drinking fountain that was always active in his living room - it was fed from a mountain spring.

Cottege Grove was also the home of the "Village Green". They had an annual Concours de' Elegance that was pretty fancy-schmantzy for Oregon.

beerchug.gif
TravisNeff
I have several friends from cottage grove, and a girl I dated that must have been the craziest girl in the county wacko.gif

Let's not forget the Oregon Country Fair between Eugene and the coast. The fairground is a maze of trails cut out of the dense forest. Tons of hippies, the aroma of BO, Patchouli,pot and if'n yer lucky you will see some 300lb women that don't wear shirts.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 24 2008, 12:24 PM) *

Andys

You probably remember the paper pulp mill in Albany, and, of course, the Wa Chang minerals plant. STINKY!!!! But us Eugenians (University of Oregon) always assumed it was just the unwashed student-body of Oregon State University that created that smell from nearby Corvalis!!! poke.gif

Ah.... they will be going through Tacoma biggrin.gif There's a reason people reffer to the Tacoma arroma. icon8.gif Sorry guys that live there but even you must admit that the mill does make it smell awefully bad at times blink.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 24 2008, 12:36 PM) *

..... and if'n yer lucky you will see some 300lb women that don't wear shirts.

blink.gif I think I'll pass on that. Sounds like Hemp Fest or Bumbershoot in Seattle. Then there is the Bite of Seattle which features every 300lb+ person within 40 miles of Seattle. chair.gif
6freak
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jun 24 2008, 12:42 PM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 24 2008, 12:24 PM) *

Andys

Ah.... they will be going through Tacoma biggrin.gif There's a reason people reffer to the Tacoma arroma. icon8.gif Sorry guys that live there but even you must admit that the mill does make it smell awefully bad at times blink.gif

not anymore Jon the pulp mills are all gone ..but anyway heres something fun too think about .if you leave washington go`n north bound your in a foreign country
ericread
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jun 24 2008, 12:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 24 2008, 12:36 PM) *

..... and if'n yer lucky you will see some 300lb women that don't wear shirts.

blink.gif I think I'll pass on that. Sounds like Hemp Fest or Bumbershoot in Seattle. Then there is the Bite of Seattle which features every 300lb+ person within 40 miles of Seattle. chair.gif

Yeah, there's something about a 300 pound, sweatty, naked girl rolling around a field that'll put the fear of God in you. laugh.gif
PeeGreen 914
Well maybe you still have the ghosts of the pulp mills that still stink biggrin.gif
6freak
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jun 24 2008, 12:49 PM) *

Well maybe you still have the ghosts of the pulp mills that still stink biggrin.gif

Low tide .is what most call it ..but yes if the wind is just right and the stars are line up you can still get a slight wiff of pulp mills of the past
ericread
Geeeeeez!

I would have thought by now someone from the Pacific Northwest would have signed on with some rebuttals???

Anybody???

Any redeeming qualities whatsoever???

It must be true that outside of California, there really isn't much on the West Coast to look at??? poke.gif
TravisNeff
Redeeming? I dunno about that.

However, I grew up in Issaquah, WA and lost my innocence in the same Motel 6 that some people will be staying at back when I was 16.

biggrin.gif
6freak
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 24 2008, 12:58 PM) *

However, I grew up in Issaquah, WA and lost my innocence in the same Motel 6 that some people will be staying at back when I was 16.

biggrin.gif

did they leave the light on for ya ..so you could see if the 300 lbs girl was not taken it in the arm pit av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
TravisNeff
Sheddapp, it was the best 30 seconds of my life - LMAO!!!
ericread
QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 24 2008, 01:01 PM) *

biggrin.gif

did they leave the light on for ya ..so you could see if the 300 lbs girl was not taken it in the arm pit av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

Let's be a little more sensitive here. He never said anything in his post about being with a girl... huh.gif

laugh.gif
6freak
av-943.gif
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 24 2008, 01:06 PM) *

biggrin.gif

Let's be a little more sensitive here. He never said anything in his post about being with a girl... huh.gif

laugh.gif

he told me he told you not to tell some friend you turn out too be sheeplove.gif thats why you both left the beautiful northwest av-943.gif so witch one of you was the 300lbs chick with the sticky arm pit av-943.gif
6freak
QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 24 2008, 01:18 PM) *

av-943.gif

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

he told me he told you not to tell some friend you turn out too be sheeplove.gif thats why you both left the beautiful northwest av-943.gif so witch one of you was the 300lbs chick with the sticky arm pit av-943.gif

Mount saint Helens...has a really big hole in it too and its only 20 miles off I-5 they dont call it johnson ridge for nut`n.....or is it get n`a nut on Johnson ridge
rhodyguy
ah...yes. eveROTt never had that dubious stench factor rolleyes.gif . perhaps you're too young to remember jon but the reek covered marsville and all the way to meadowdale when the wind was just right. contrary to popular belief the old Amour (hygrade) meat packing plant and the associated byproduct rendering plants contibuted a great deal to the smell one USED to experience while driving thru tacoma. the simpson pulp plant now scrubs the odiferous emissions. if you spent any time in tacoma you would realize this. sorry to point out your ignorance.

k
TravisNeff

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

There aint nuthin wrong with livestock.... sheeplove.gif
ericread
So other than the Motel 6 where Travis lost his "innocence" ( sheeplove.gif ), are there any other "Fun Facts" in Washington?

Anybody?

TravisNeff
The Northwestern most point in the contiguous U.S. is Cape Flattery on Washington's Olympic Peninsula.
ericread
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 24 2008, 02:19 PM) *

The Northwestern most point in the contiguous U.S. is Cape Flattery on Washington's Olympic Peninsula.

Should we ask what you "lost" there???

TravisNeff
Not advisable..

More facts: It is illegal to display a hypnotized person in a store window in Everett

6freak
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 24 2008, 01:44 PM) *

ah...yes. eveROTt never had that dubious stench factor rolleyes.gif . perhaps you're too young to remember jon but the reek covered marsville and all the way to meadowdale when the wind was just right. contrary to popular belief the old Amour (hygrade) meat packing plant and the associated byproduct rendering plants contibuted a great deal to the smell one USED to experience while driving thru tacoma. the simpson pulp plant now scrubs the odiferous emissions. if you spent any time in tacoma you would realize this. sorry to point out your ignorance.

k

Well i guess if we were as old as dirt we would know some more about places that have been shut down longer then we been alive av-943.gif
TravisNeff
In Wilbur, it is against the law to ride an ugly horse.

The Ginkgo Petrified Forest is the largest in the world.

In Seattle, women who sit on men's laps on buses or trains without placing a pillow between them face an automatic six-month jail term.

Long Beach, Washington is home to the world’s largest frying pan.

Hells Canyon is the deepest gorge in North America at 5,000 feet deep.

In Washington , you may not buy a mattress on Sunday.

A law in Washington states: "It is mandatory for a motorist with criminal intentions to stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town."
rhodyguy
that's why it's said "there's wisdom in age" youngster. as you grow older perhaps you'll grasp some knowledge. hopefully.
6freak
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 24 2008, 02:39 PM) *

In Wilbur, it is against the law to ride an ugly horse.

The Ginkgo Petrified Forest is the largest in the world.

In Seattle, women who sit on men's laps on buses or trains without placing a pillow between them face an automatic six-month jail term.

Long Beach, Washington is home to the world’s largest frying pan.

Hells Canyon is the deepest gorge in North America at 5,000 feet deep.

In Washington , you may not buy a mattress on Sunday.

A law in Washington states: "It is mandatory for a motorist with criminal intentions to stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town."

thats funny i just looked up wilbur on the net today...hunting prospect.......long beach girls have the world biggest clams... hence the big pan
TravisNeff
By the turn of the 20th century, Aberdeen had the distinction of being "the roughest town west of the Mississippi" because of excessive gambling, violence, extreme drug use and prostitution (the city remained off-limits to military personnel into the early 1980s).

During the Great Depression, a series of hydroelectric dams were constructed along the Columbia river as part of a project to increase the production of electricity. This culminated in 1941 with the completion of the Grand Coulee Dam, the largest dam in the United States.

The oldest operating gas station in the United States is in Zillah

Everett is the site of the world's largest building, Boeing's final assembly plant

Seattle is home to the first revolving restaurant, 1961.

The forests of the Olympic Peninsula are among the rainiest places in the world and the only rainforests (such as the Hoh Rain Forest) in the continental United States
TravisNeff
bearded clams? lol
TravisNeff
Northgate shopping mall, built in 1950, became the world's first fully enclosed shopping mall.

The Pike Place Market in Seattle is said to host a bevy of ghosts and just might be the most haunted place in the state of Washington .

Harbor Island is the largest man made island in the nation.

Destroying the beer cask or bottle of someone else is illegal.

It is against the law to walk about in public if you have a cold.

In Bremerton, it is illegal to shuck peanuts on the street.

rhodyguy
the Grey Wolf Lodge, located convienently off I-5, costs only $324 per night for a family of 4.
championgt1
Not so fun fact. The WSP loves to pull over fast moving packs of sports cars.

DRIVE CAREFUL!!! driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.