Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stripped case
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DarrenG
I have an oil leak from the case bolt that runs in the middle of, and a little below, the push rod tubes. This is the bolt that runs through the oil tube. The case is stripped.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for repairing this? It's pretty deep (8 x 88mm bolt).

Do I have to split the case? I would prefer not to because the flywheel and fan hub are still attached.

If I do have to split the case, will I need to replace the engine bearings? Or can these be reused? They were recently installed - just a few hundred miles on the rebuild.

Thanks

D
type47
your situation leads me to suspect that the sump bolt has been tightened too much and has pulled the bolt that you describe as loose, and has broken the case on the inside. this is just a guess but is a bad fault. the oil sump bolt has a torque value of about 9 ft lbs and if tightened too much, can pull the bolt which can break the case where the bolt threads into. if that is fact, then the engine is history (the case is history, i don't know how much of your rebuild could be transferred to a new engine case.)
r_towle
I agree.
It can be fixed.

Rich
DarrenG
Rich,

Can or cannot be fixed?

Since it's only 9 foot pounds, would permatex thread repair hold this?

thanks

D
type47
i don't think permatex will repair it. you might try it and see how long you can go but to fix this, IF what i described is correct, the broken piece inside the case can be welded but you have to go all the way down to the case half to get to it.
r_towle
QUOTE(DarrenG @ Jun 25 2008, 11:54 PM) *

Rich,

Can or cannot be fixed?

Since it's only 9 foot pounds, would permatex thread repair hold this?

thanks

D

As I stated, it CAN be fixed.
You need to take the case apart, period.
Do not bother with any other way.

The fix is simple.
Either swap case halves for a good one, or weld up the bung.
Jake offers this service and I think he adds some extra metal to make sure it wont happen again.

While this is a common break, its not so common that you see it every day.
It really is a hour or so of welding...then put it all back together again..

Rich
DarrenG
Thanks Guys
Jake Raby
I make this repair often. 80.00 and it won't break again.
G e o r g e
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 26 2008, 07:42 AM) *

The fix is simple.
Either swap case halves for a good one, all back together again..

Rich

aren't the case halves a matched set?
justme
I think I popped mine one day when expereincing a Wheatie's over dose. Dosn't seem like my case bolt looened up though? Maybe I got lucky!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.