Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bedlining your valences & rocker panels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mstein95
Before my paint guy paints my rocker panels and valences he asked if I wanted to put a light bedliner material on first to protect them. confused24.gif

Has anyone done this? How does it look?
rhodyguy
like the bed of a pickup. if you don't care for the final look, my guess is a major hassle to undo.
mstein95
I'm told its permanent.

I did a search and saw a couple pics but they weren't on black rockers.
rhodyguy
that makes it REAL hard to undo. i'd shoot them with black 'Zero-Rust' (name brand) paint. i did my front suspension with it. the stuff wears like iron and touch up is just squirt away. i have a set of rockers and f&r valances for when you have to replace them. wink.gif

k
mstein95
I found these two pics in old threads.....they don't look too bad....I think I'm going to do it. Like you said Kevin, I can always source another set.
Jeffs9146
I did it on one of my cars and it looked great! Just get the stuff with less lumps!

mstein95
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jun 26 2008, 10:05 AM) *

I did it on one of my cars and it looked great! Just get the stuff with less lumps!

I told them - "no popcorn ceiling look". blink.gif
euro911
My front bumper was 'repaired' by a P/O and some of the BONDO and gloss paint was coming off. I did a temporary repaint with a rubberized-undercoating on both bumpers. Its a little pebbly but it has a flat finish so it doesn't draw a lot of attention ... and it looks OK (to me) biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Spoke
I think it would be a great coating on the inside of the rockers and valences. The rockers especially rust from the inside from trapped road debris. I removed my passenger side rocker panel a few months ago and again it is filled with gravel.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(mstein95 @ Jun 26 2008, 08:06 AM) *

Before my paint guy paints my rocker panels and valences he asked if I wanted to put a light bedliner material on first to protect them. confused24.gif

Has anyone done this? How does it look?

I am thinking about having mine power coated. I just got my engine tin back from being powder coated and it is tough stuff - maybe that is an option for you.
Gint
I have some vague recollection of seeing a fair amount of rust behind some truck bedliner material that was later removed. I can't remember where or when I saw this, but it's stuck in my head. Perhaps the surface wasn't prepared properly either, who knows? confused24.gif I don't know that I'd use it on my already rust prone 914 sheet metal. Strictly my opinion and what I would do or not do.
Mark Henry
I looked into Rhino liner But you have to be a dealer to buy/install it.

I have used the rubberized gravel guard and it works/looks great and it wouldn't be that hard to undo.

The big trick with gravel guard is to toss in some auto paint hardner then it's tough as nails.
mstein95
Well.....I went ahead and had the "bed liner" put on before painting. I think it turned out great. They should be bullet proof going forward except for the occasional meet and greet with sidewalks. dry.gif
PeeGreen 914
WOW. That looks very nice. Really can't tell it is bedlined from the pics.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 28 2008, 11:59 AM) *

I have some vague recollection of seeing a fair amount of rust behind some truck bedliner material that was later removed. Perhaps the surface wasn't prepared properly either, who knows?

There you have it. bedliner, will not rust metal. Metal that is rusty before the bedliner goes on will continue to rust after it is there. As often as not, bedliner is used to cover over rusty beds, rather then keep them from rusting in the first place.

Zach
tdgray
Thanks for the summary Zach... clear as mud now (j/k) biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.