Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Wheel Play
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dale 914
All,
I am sure you have seen this before. I just bought my first 914 a couple of weeks ago, so I am still in the dark!
Anyway, the steering wheel had lots of movement in it. After researching it, I bought one of the metal bushings and installed it, pretty easy. Well, that eliminated about 70% of the movement, how do I eliminate the last 30%? It seems that that the bushing was not "thick" enough. I believe all of the movement still resides at the steering wheel itself rather than further down the column.
Thoughts?
Thanks
Dale headbang.gif
ericread
I had the same problem. You probably need to remove the steering column and replace the entire upper bearing. I found that the sleeve didn't provide enough play reduction for me, and upon dissassembly, founnd the old bearing to be shot.

When I replaced the bearing, I still noticed some play between the outside of the bearing and the steering wheel race. I tightened that up by using a few mils of aluminum foil as a shim between the race and the outside of the bearing. That snigged it up nicely.

Good luck, and enjoy your teener. driving.gif

Eric Read
dale 914
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 28 2008, 11:43 AM) *

I had the same problem. You probably need to remove the steering column and replace the entire upper bearing. I found that the sleeve didn't provide enough play reduction for me, and upon dissassembly, founnd the old bearing to be shot.

When I replaced the bearing, I still noticed some play between the outside of the bearing and the steering wheel race. I tightened that up by using a few mils of aluminum foil as a shim between the race and the outside of the bearing. That snigged it up nicely.

Good luck, and enjoy your teener. driving.gif

Eric Read

Eric,
thanks, will give it a go.

Dale
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.