Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie, says hello, ask for help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
james2
Hi,

Some people may know me from the VW boards. Had a 914 when i was 18 and always wanted another. even though I know very little about them. So i rushed out and bought three of them!!

I have two 75's and a 73. I bought them from the same person.

None run, but the 73 is a fairly nice looking car, rust free.

One 75 is worth restoring, pretty complete, very little rust.

The other 75 is a shell and has a lot of rust. Has engine, but it in a box, torn apart.

All are missing original fuel injection- sad.gif

None of them run.

Question 1. How do I tell if the 73 has the 2.0 l or 1.7 litre engine without tear down?

Question 2. Which car is more desirable, valuable, assuming both are the same shape, the 73 or 75.

Question 3. Will a type 1 engine fit with the up right cooling, I have a 2332cc type 1with a DTM. Jake and me built it and Jake Raby dyno'd it at 210HP I want to build a type 4, but this motor would be fun until the type 4 was done.

Todd Enlund
welcome.png
QUOTE(james2 @ Jun 28 2008, 01:49 PM) *

Question 1. How do I tell if the 73 has the 2.0 l or 1.7 litre engine without tear down?

2.0 has three studs on the intake manifold (one on each end and one in the middle), 1.7 has four (two in the middle).

If it's a 2.0, engine number will have GA prefix, 1.7 will have EA or EB.

Intake studs are a better indicator, because cases can be swapped.

Question 2. Which car is more desirable, valuable, assuming both are the same shape, the 73 or 75.

Most people would prefer the '73, by a large margin.

Question 3. Will a type 1 engine fit with the up right cooling, I have a 2332cc type 1with a DTM. Jake and me built it and Jake Raby dyno'd it at 210HP I want to build a type 4, but this motor would be fun until the type 4 was done.

I'd think it would be more trouble than it was worth. Others may be able to give you a better answer.
james2
Thanks for the fast reply. I like the 73, because of the chrome bumpers.

problem is neither the seller or me knew much about the cars. I saw that they were cheap, and two are rust free, so i towed them home.

I just checked, the 73 is a 2 litre by the info you have given.

I have not picked up the 75 model cars. i will check them.

most likely, i will sell the two 75 model cars.
JRust
Other than an original 6 the 73 2.0 is themost sought after. If it is a stock 73 2.0 it is what you want. A stock 73 2.0 comes with the center console with gages. Also front & rear sway bars. Does it have Fcuh's or steelie's? Should have fuchs but they get changed around so you never know. Also the 73 doesn't have all the smog crap that came on them in 75 & 76. The 75 & 76 also have the big heavy rubber bumpers.

Sounds like you have a great start! welcome.png
Gint
welcome.png

Congratulations!

And...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

smile.gif
markb
welcome.png

Yes, lots of pics! biggrin.gif
james2
Ok, I'm , mine don't have the gages, or fuchs. But it does have three stud heads?

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 28 2008, 02:43 PM) *

Other than an original 6 the 73 2.0 is themost sought after. If it is a stock 73 2.0 it is what you want. A stock 73 2.0 comes with the center console with gages. Also front & rear sway bars. Does it have Fcuh's or steelie's? Should have fuchs but they get changed around so you never know. Also the 73 doesn't have all the smog crap that came on them in 75 & 76. The 75 & 76 also have the big heavy rubber bumpers.

Sounds like you have a great start! welcome.png

james2
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

This the 73, I have to go back and get the 75s next Saturday.

Is that the 2.0 head?
james2
This the inside-
IPB Image
I got the door panel off because i need this part, the plastic is broken and the door won't open from outside.
IPB Image

Hoping this is repoped. any place to get them?
Joe Bob
That plastic part is a common failure...if you are near Atlanta, try Auto Atlanta...just watch yer wallet. Sometimes it's cheaper to get stuff across country and pay freight. But George the owner does have some stuff that is hard to find.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(james2 @ Jun 28 2008, 04:20 PM) *

Ok, I'm , mine don't have the gages, or fuchs. But it does have three stud heads?

Very few of these cars are original anymore... My guess is a 2.0 swapped into a 1.7 chassis. No console, no Fuchs, no sail vinyl...

The door parts are available at Auto Atlanta and Pelican Parts.

Looks like a nice car.
james2
Thanks. got the part i needed off ebay. just ordered. 15.99 for a little plastic part. Guess these are not VW parts.

the 15.99 sounded cheap after looking at the 225 complete door handles.

maybe i will keep one of the other cars for parts.

Got a battery in it and she turns over.... biggrin.gif

Just came in to take a brake. hopeful she will be running soon.

then I need to check the brakes and maybe the tranny will work....crosses fingers.

been 25 years since i drove a 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.