Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how high does your car need to be
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
im going to attempt my first clutch job, i did a search on floor jacks and stands and it was all about engine drops, i dont need to drop the engine i dont think. should i just get two sets of 3 ton floor jacks and use wood blocks with my current hydralic floor jack to get it up there. good enough??is that enough room??

I am learning as i go smile.gif
type47
well, you can just drop the transmission to do a clutch job but it's hard to say "how high". you just need it high enough to lay under the tranny (insert joke here) and muscle it (the transmission) off the engine and onto your chest. hopefully you've read the other posts about removing just the transmission, if not, search for some threads on that. support the rear of the engine with your jack stands and lower the trans slightly to enable the trans to have enough clearance of the bumper. trans weighs 80ish pounds.
SirAndy
QUOTE(type47 @ Jun 30 2008, 05:21 PM) *

... muscle it off the engine and onto your chest ...

huh? confused24.gif

i use a floorjack with a wooden plate. drop the tranny onto the jack and roll it out the back ...
much easier! shades.gif

of course, you need to put something under the engine first to support it. a jackstand will do just fine.

smash.gif Andy
jimkelly
the engine does not need to be HIGH - but i like to have a few tokes before i get started smoke.gif

good luck - safety first.

oh yeah - don't forget that damn ground strap attached to the top rear of the transaxle.

jim
type47
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 30 2008, 06:15 PM) *

QUOTE(type47 @ Jun 30 2008, 05:21 PM) *

... muscle it off the engine and onto your chest ...

huh? confused24.gif

i use a floorjack with a wooden plate. drop the tranny onto the jack and roll it out the back ...
much easier! shades.gif

i gave a bad instruction that could lead to injury. and then again, i've never removed just the transmission but i've read here that someone removed the trans only by laying under it and taking it out. by far, the better method is as andy described.
Dave_Darling
I used:

Two jack stands at the rear "donuts", adjusted as tall as they will go. One jack stand under the engine, adjusted as needed to support it. One floor jack for jacking up the car. The same jack is used to lift the trans into place when re-assembling. I just pulled the trans off of the engine by hand.

--DD
TheCabinetmaker
agree.gif with Dave. Thats how I do it too.
ericread
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jun 30 2008, 07:51 PM) *

the engine does not need to be HIGH - but i like to have a few tokes before i get started smoke.gif

good luck - safety first.

oh yeah - don't forget that damn ground strap attached to the top rear of the transaxle.

jim

av-943.gif

zymurgist
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jun 30 2008, 10:51 PM) *

Click to view attachment

orthobiz
And remove the air cleaner so it doesn't hit the back of the engine compartment.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.