Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some opinions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
I am creating a mold for an air intake scoop that will mount on the B pilliar.

My intention is to keep things close as possible to the stock look. I also wanted something that I could remove if need be( that's why I decided not to go with fender scoops).

With this preliminary setup( pictured), I am not sure if it will scoop enough air. it stands off about 2" from the pilliar.

The other option is to make the outside somewhat round, similar to the top scoops of a Bugatti.

I'm also open to all other ideas.

Thank's, Keith

r_towle
Try naca ducts in the rear of the rocker panel with a hose running up through the tin.

Rich
SirAndy
how are you going to get the air to the engine? idea.gif

you know that the sail panels are a structural part of your rollbar, right?
shades.gif Andy
Rusty
Hi Keith,

This idea has been tried before, with some success. Check out this link:

http://members.rennlist.com/chuxter/TempTests.htm

-Rusty smoke.gif
toon1
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 30 2008, 07:22 PM) *

Try naca ducts in the rear of the rocker panel with a hose running up through the tin.

Rich

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 30 2008, 07:23 PM) *

how are you going to get the air to the engine? idea.gif

you know that the sail panels are a structural part of your rollbar, right?
shades.gif Andy

QUOTE(Rusty @ Jun 30 2008, 07:26 PM) *

Hi Keith,

This idea has been tried before, with some success. Check out this link:

http://members.rennlist.com/chuxter/TempTests.htm

-Rusty smoke.gif

I have seen the NACA ducts on the rockers . I thought this may be more and cleaner air.

I have also seen that article, that's where I got the idea biggrin.gif . The scoops in the article seem to stick out quite a bit. I wanted something a bit more inconspicuous.

Andy, My original idea was to cut the pilliar and form a duct with sheet metal and pass the air through the pilliar into the engine bay. Taking Your advice with others, I decided against it.

This will be a FG duct that will be added onto the outside and routed into the holes on either side of the rain tray.

Dr. Roger
finally found a pic similar to what we were talking about earlier....

and links
http://www.garagegt.com/shop/scripts/prodL...?idCategory=586
and
http://bomexaero.com/zencart/index.php?mai...products_id=541

IPB Image

IPB Image
tdgray
My .02.... don't do it... looks like stromberg.gif
toon1
QUOTE(tdgray @ Jul 1 2008, 09:35 AM) *

My .02.... don't do it... looks like stromberg.gif

What does?

Scoops in general or the layout I have?

URY914
What is the intent here?

-To add cooling to the engine? The scoops won't do a thing to help that.

-To look like a MR2 ricer? Done.

Sorry, but I don't think much of the idea.
toon1
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 1 2008, 12:02 PM) *

What is the intent here?

-To add cooling to the engine? The scoops won't do a thing to help that.

-To look like a MR2 ricer? Done.

Sorry, but I don't think much of the idea.

To look as much as a ricer as possible! I will eventually have gigantic graphics on the side and a muffler the size of a garbage can! I love it! biggrin.gif

I kidd of course.

The real intention is to get air into the engine bay. I have only seen one of these done. I am not sure if it will work or not.

The person who did it( in the link above) said that it helped with the oil temps. he also had it plumbed to the air cleaner.

My thought is, if it only gets 25% more air forced into the engine bay, that's 25% more than before. Couldn't hurt

Is there any data showing that this won't help?
ericread
I'm not really sure if I like the looks or not. My real question is how much air you expect to move into the engine compartment? And I guess, why? I follow Jake Raby's threads pretty close, and his experience seems to demonstrate that a properly running 914 really shouldn't have a cooling problem. Are you trying to correct some cooling problem, or is this more of a project you thought would be cool?

If it's a project for fun, then it's nobody's damn business how it looks (but then again, you did ask idea.gif . That's your decision. But if it is to correct a cooling problem, I would be very interested in learning more about your perceived problems.

Eric Read

toon1
QUOTE(ericread @ Jul 1 2008, 12:16 PM) *

I'm not really sure if I like the looks or not. My real question is how much air you expect to move into the engine compartment? And I guess, why? I follow Jake Raby's threads pretty close, and his experience seems to demonstrate that a properly running 914 really shouldn't have a cooling problem. Are you trying to correct some cooling problem, or is this more of a project you thought would be cool?

If it's a project for fun, then it's nobody's damn business how it looks (but then again, you did ask idea.gif . That's your decision. But if it is to correct a cooling problem, I would be very interested in learning more about your perceived problems.

Eric Read

I don't have any cooling related issues. I thought it would be a neat project to see if it helps to stablize the temps under load. I do see the CHT's rise on occasion under certain conditions. I thought this might help.

Yes I did ask, so I opened myself up to critisizm. Fire away!

Unless I hear solid evidence that it doesn't help, I will make them dispite what people think. If they don't help, they will be easy to remove, nothing lost nothing gained.

I posted this incase there where other people with the same idea but haven't done it yet.
Dr. Roger
Another thought. Instead of bring the entire sail panel out, maybe making the duct convex kinda' like .... a Porsche Bedouin 996 Turbo (2003)
http://www.netcarshow.com/rinspeed/2003-po...ouin_996_turbo/

ericread
QUOTE(toon1 @ Jul 1 2008, 12:45 PM) *

I don't have any cooling related issues. I thought it would be a neat project to see if it helps to stablize the temps under load. I do see the CHT's rise on occasion under certain conditions. I thought this might help.

Yes I did ask, so I opened myself up to critisizm. Fire away!

Unless I hear solid evidence that it doesn't help, I will make them dispite what people think. If they don't help, they will be easy to remove, nothing lost nothing gained.

I posted this incase there where other people with the same idea but haven't done it yet.

Cool! I'm interested in what you find out. Obviously, air will only be directed to the engine at speed. With the tin in place, I wonder how you will direct the air stream to be efficient. Without the tin, I believe you will have a cooling problem at any speed. The again. if you just direct the air stream to the engine compartment, then I don't see it being as a help. Inject the air into the tin on both sides of the engine?

What are your thoughts?

Eric
carr914
I always wanted to do this, but never have.

T.C.

Click to view attachment
tdgray
Looks wise ... hate it.

Functionality wise... I doubt that you will see any measureable difference in piping air that way. I'm no expert but I just don't see how it would.
toon1
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Jul 1 2008, 02:14 PM) *

Another thought. Instead of bring the entire sail panel out, maybe making the duct convex kinda' like .... a Porsche Bedouin 996 Turbo (2003)
http://www.netcarshow.com/rinspeed/2003-po...ouin_996_turbo/

IPB Image

QUOTE(tdgray @ Jul 1 2008, 02:44 PM) *

Looks wise ... hate it.

Functionality wise... I doubt that you will see any measureable difference in piping air that way. I'm no expert but I just don't see how it would.

I thought about Boxster fender scoops. But if i didn't like them they would be hard to remove and cover up.

With these, If I don't like them I will take them off.

Right now the engine has to pull air into the bay. It also has to fight for that same air with what the engie intake needs. The area behind the window is a low pressure area, there is nothing to force air in. the engine bay temps stay in the 140* range.

If air could be forced into the bay by the ducts it might be possible the lower the bay temps. or at the least supply the engine with a little more air than it normally sees.

I have seen race cars with ducts to the engine bay and Boxsters use them. It must have some validity.

I would probably only see a difference at higher speeds but that's what I am looking for.

I like the way the copper colored car has the ducts done. I thought of that also but didn't want to cut throught the sail panel.

I am going to Tape some flexable ducts to the sail panels tonight for my ride home to see if it helps.

I will have 2 points of data. the IAT on the MS system and a CHT gauge. we'll see what happens.

is there anyone who knows what CFM the engine cooling fan draws at, say, 3000rpm?
Dr. Roger
but I've got to admit, with that big vacuum just behind the cockpit, it makes sense to route air back there. seems a row of diffusers along the top and a couple of vents would make a big difference in aerodynamics. putting air where there is normally a vacuum.

but that vacuum, combined with the air flaps underneath, produces cooling air coming up from below and out the top.

let us know the results.

beerchug.gif
Zardozz
I've been kicking around an idea like this for some time. With my draw-through turbo set up there's a lot of heat generated on the top of the engine bay because of how the pipes are run. I wasn't worried about it before because of having to remove the decklid, poor planning on my part when I put the thing together. So there's lots of outside air to be drawn in.

I should have my car back soon with a much lower profile set up but still on top of the engine. I will be installing a pop-off style of deck lid but the heat issues will still be there. I was thinking of some kind of scoop plumbed directly into the carb to draw in cooler outside air.

I'm not sure if this will do anything but I'm interested in reading about what you discover in your trials.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Jul 1 2008, 02:43 PM) *

with that big vacuum just behind the cockpit, that vacuum, combined with the air flaps underneath, produces cooling air coming up from below and out the top.

is that so? idea.gif

got any proof for that pudding of yours?
confused24.gif Andy
Sleepin
What about a roof scoop ducted through the roof and through the firewall right at the cooling fan?

blink.gif
toon1
Here's a pic. of what I added to get air into the bay. I love it!! I think I will stick with this one! biggrin.gif

The tubing only covers about half of the hole on the side of the engine bay lid.

The CHT's where a bit cooler than without them. The one thing I did notice is that, while a freeway speeds they seem to stay a bit more stable.

Where I normally see temps. of 365 I saw temps about 357-360.

Also the intake air temps where lower by about 3-4 degrees.

So for the most part, I think it makes a bit of a difference and is worth pursuing.
orange914
keith we got that stripped targa top if you want to mod it for a roof inlet... you can have it. would be easily removable in the winter/rain. confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.