Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: targa top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rufio0205
i've seen the really nice painted ones on some cars and i've seen the black ones...
i dont know what is with mine but it isn't smooth like paint to the touch. it has a weird kind of texture to it...what gives?

can anyone tell me what they are made out of...where to get one resurfaced or what the deal is?
i mean i can be content if it just needs something like a spit shine

if i just need to hit it with some type of restoration magic compound let me know
LowGT
They should be black and textured. If it's smooth and painted, it's because someone did it.

I think there is a thread in the classics area about it, but I believe I've read it's just sand/fill/sand/fill/sand/fill until it's smooth and then prime and paint.

I keep mine original because I know I'll scratch the paint off. biggrin.gif
mike_the_man
The tops are made out of fibreglass. And as posted above, they should be black and textured. I believe there are a few threads around on how to polish it up. I think Mothers Back to Black works pretty well.

dw914er
back to black, then wash the car like a day later, and the top looks good (otherwise its too glossy). Shoe polish also works for the top and sails

they are (or should be if unmolested) black and textured, and its like some sort of plastic fiberglass.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.