Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear height
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bartlett 914
I felt my car was riding too high in the front. After measuring the front height, I realized that the problem is the rear is too low. Is this simply a spring issue? What should I do to bring the rear higher?

Also when I worked on the front height I hear a knock when I bounce up and down the front. This only happens on the passenger side. I hear the noise as the car comes up. I suspected the torsion spring may have been too loose. If I tighten it the front becomes too high. I didn't go so far to see if the sound disappears. FWISW I have Bilstein gas shocks in the front.
r_towle
What springs and shocks do you have in the rear?
That will allow us to help you with the rear ride height.

Front clunk could be the upper strut nut is loose.
Could be the anti sway bar is loose
Could be ball joint
Could be tie rod
Could be bearings.

Start with the first, its the most likely.

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jul 4 2008, 02:14 PM) *

Also when I worked on the front height I hear a knock when I bounce up and down the front. This only happens on the passenger side. I hear the noise as the car comes up. I suspected the torsion spring may have been too loose.

i doubt it ... something is lose, but i don't think it's the torsion bar ...
shades.gif Andy
Bartlett 914
Thanks guys

I did change the rear springs a long time ago. Can't say why or with what. i no longer have the old ones but I do have some spare parts around I can use.

Rich

I will check the away bar and the strut nut ( I believe it is tight but I will check again).

Seems to me that the mix of gas shocks and standard could be part of the problem. Doesn't gas shocks add some lift that isn't seen with other shocks? My front is higher for sure. The rear does look too low. I read about adjusting the height of the front in the Haynes book and that seems normal but the height for the rear has no adjustment or any specified distance that should be measured. Is there one? If this is measured and adjustable...enlighten please.

r_towle
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jul 4 2008, 09:59 PM) *

Thanks guys

I did change the rear springs a long time ago. Can't say why or with what. i no longer have the old ones but I do have some spare parts around I can use.

Rich

I will check the away bar and the strut nut ( I believe it is tight but I will check again).

Seems to me that the mix of gas shocks and standard could be part of the problem. Doesn't gas shocks add some lift that isn't seen with other shocks? My front is higher for sure. The rear does look too low. I read about adjusting the height of the front in the Haynes book and that seems normal but the height for the rear has no adjustment or any specified distance that should be measured. Is there one? If this is measured and adjustable...enlighten please.

If you have adjustable rear perches (bilsteins and konis have these) in the rear, you can adjust the rear height...if not, there is no rear adjustment.

Take a pic of the car from the side.
Take a pic of the rear shock from underneath.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.