Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition coil maladies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thesey914
My engine is not starting, I have fuel but it seems no spark. Changed the ignitor back to points and still no luck.
I'm suspecting the coil -its one of those bosch blue coils. I seem to remember that the blue coil has a ballast resistor so values between the contacts should be about 3-5 ohms. What is the rating for contact and the main lead terminal .....does the resistor affect this value? I have 10k upwards in my mind.
Anyone one have any numbers or advice? wacko.gif

Update....I have just read that one shouldn't use a conventional coil with a CD ignition unit.....which I have just hooked up. Perhaps I've blown it up
Kargeek
Using a stock type coil with a CD ignition...well, it depends on the mfg of the CD unit. I had an older permatune unit, new in the box and it says to use a new stock type coil. I'm told that the bosch blue one is OK to use. Maybe your old coil just gave up. Dave
thesey914
Well changed back to points because the problem became obvious when I investigated properly. The ignitor was cooked.
I'll source another one because the lobes on the distributor are quite worn, although my CDI has pulse synthesising circuitry (or so it claims)...
Does anyone know if the condensor is necessary when running a CDI?
Kargeek
I just asked about the condenser issue as I'm in the process of installing a CDI unit... remove the condenser as it's not needed. Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.