Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCR 2009
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JoeSharp
I have the backing of the rest of my Team and we are going to have a planning meeting on the 24th of July at In-N-Out on Surface Club Drive in Corona 7:30 pm.
The general consence is to do this in May for the weather and the location should be desided on the 24th. So if you guys want it to be up north again let us know now.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jul 17 2008, 12:29 PM) *

I have the backing of the rest of my Team and we are going to have a planning meeting on the 24th of July at In-N-Out on Surface Club Drive in Corona 7:30 pm.
The general consence is to do this in May for the weather and the location should be desided on the 24th. So if you guys want it to be up north again let us know now.

smilie_pokal.gif it's your turn, SlowCal guys ... pick a spot and they will come!

whatever you do, don't listen to the guys that suggested Monterey. barf.gif
it's fricking overrun by tourists, traffic is horrible and there's nothing to do car wise other than maybe a few parade laps at Laguna Seca.
hardly enough to make for a good WCR ...

if you guys need any help, you know where to find me!
piratenanner.gif Andy
TravisNeff
Giddyup!
hydroliftin
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jul 17 2008, 01:29 PM) *

May in So Cal sounds good to me. Especially now that the Iron Bottom is dead. Hope you plan to work in some scenic drives into the equation.

seanery
sweet! I may be a SoCal'r again by the time this happens w00t1.gif
dw914er
so cal!!!! Or San Luis Obispo (which technically is still so cal)

let me know if you guys need any help for next year.
drew365

at In-N-Out

This could be a brilliant idea. Rent an In-N-Out for the weekend. Hold a AX in the parking lot. Get fat as pigs on Double Doubles and milk shakes.
effutuo101
Julian...apple pie...ummmmm
ConeDodger
Ahhh geez!!! May!!! That means I have to start the countdown early!!! biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 17 2008, 04:39 PM) *

Ahhh geez!!! May!!! That means I have to start the countdown early!!! biggrin.gif

You may even have electricity by then. av-943.gif
Demick
Who Hoo!!! clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif
mstein95
May of 2009 - SoCal - way cool. idea.gif
That gives me enough time to get a hitch put on the wife's XC90, find a trailer ('cause it was hard enough driving 300 miles in the 914 without my arse being sore) KMA.gif and submit for vacation time - boss is going to think I'm strange putting in for vacation 10 months in advance. dry.gif
Gint
My hope would be for So-So-Cal. Maybe even closer to San Diego. But south of the greater metro LA area for sure. And close to the beach!
G e o r g e
it's going to be at Disneyland, with a AX in Autotopia driving.gif

hotel is California Grand room rates start at 598 per night with 7 night min.

track fees are 295 per person, but they are good for 365 days

Joe I will be late , but i'll see you next thurs
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(Demick @ Jul 17 2008, 05:13 PM) *

Who Hoo!!! clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif

agree.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Gint @ Jul 17 2008, 05:32 PM) *

My hope would be for So-So-Cal. Maybe even closer to San Diego. But south of the greater metro LA area for sure. And close to the beach!

If I am anywhere near Costa Mesa I may need to go kick someone in the nuts though. blink.gif

It sounds like So Cal would be fun though. driving.gif
davesclassicvws
My vote would be Huntington Beach or Newport. Plenty to see and do!
It would be record drive for me from Vancouver WA but I'm up for the challenge. Besides my brother lives in Midway City so I could drop in on him.
PanelBilly
QUOTE(George H. @ Jul 17 2008, 05:39 PM) *

it's going to be at Disneyland, with a AX in Autotopia driving.gif

hotel is California Grand room rates start at 598 per night with 7 night min.

track fees are 295 per person, but they are good for 365 days

So are you telling us to save money and sleep at the track?
Elliot Cannon

Reason 100 for going to the WCR 2009... One (or more) of Joe Sharps hot dogs.
LarryR
QUOTE(mstein95 @ Jul 17 2008, 05:22 PM) *

May of 2009 - SoCal - way cool. idea.gif
That gives me enough time to get a hitch put on the wife's XC90, find a trailer ('cause it was hard enough driving 300 miles in the 914 without my arse being sore) KMA.gif and submit for vacation time - boss is going to think I'm strange putting in for vacation 10 months in advance. dry.gif

LOL man I put in 1 year in advance. My wife has figured out how to get me to commit to vacations. She looks for airline tickets 1 year out and the cheapo in me goes for the deal and of course I cant come up with a work reason for not doing it that far in advance...

I put in for my march hawaii trip 2 months ago beerchug.gif
LarryR
Oh and the cheapo in me hopes that it is closer to LA than San Diego so I can stay at my sisters outside of LA.
Eric_Shea
Dana Point is an awesome area for sites, sea and cool drives.

SoCal is a great idea.
Mrs. K
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 18 2008, 12:29 AM) *

Dana Point is an awesome area for sites, sea and cool drives.

SoCal is a great idea.

............and easy for me to get to driving-girl.gif

Lisa
mrs.K.gif
Eric_Ciampa
Dana point would be a good choice. There are also some great drives up in Santa Monica and Malibu but I don't think that would be the best "fit" for our group. The more I think about it... Dana Point / San Juan Capistrano sounds really nice.
McMark
YES!!!

Thanks for taking the lead here Joe! This is ideal!
McMark
YES!!!

Thanks for taking the lead here Joe! This is ideal!
ConeDodger
This is so true Mark had to say it twice!!!
roadster fan
SoCal's turn........inquiring minds want to know where? Waiting anxiously for the location.

Just for info, many Pacific Northwesterner's and a couple of NorCal's attended WCR2008, only one Socal teener technically (elliot) attended. The further south you have it the fewer from the northern extremes may attend. Having that in mind I will travel to the Mexican border if need be, but there are some really nice cars "up" the coast that will come if WCR2009 is north of LA.

Thanks Joe for stepping up,

Jim

Monterey in 2010? shades.gif
rhodyguy
what will be the easiest way to avoid traffic after the bottom of the grapevine? av-943.gif may would be swell. it'll take me a week to get there as i'll swing by and visit my son in arcata/eureka/humbolt county on the way down and mooch off of other members as i travel. cheap bastard that i am. second mortage on the house to pay for fuel.

morgan, if you drive down i'll loan you my extra, comphy, PADDED!, holds ya snug, konig seat.

k
mstein95
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 18 2008, 09:03 AM) *

morgan, if you drive down i'll loan you my extra, comphy, PADDED!, holds ya snug, konig seat.

k

Excellent!! I may just take you up on it.
SLITS
BAJA ..........
rhodyguy
we would need passports? have'nt been to ensenada(sp) in years. first time was in 75', YIKES! hussong's was a tiny little bar filled expatriots. in 87' it was like a disco.
dw914er
May I suggest San Luis Obispo? Ill be there during may for school, so easy for me to go.

Also, very close for the southern most part of california, and not to bad for the PNW (saves 5 hours vs someplace like LA) and close enough to other parts of california. Basically off the 101.

Great coastal drives and backroads that can take you to the beach, or the vineyards, etc. We also have some amazing tri-tip for some dinner at various resturants. Thursday nights is our market night too, which is pretty fun to go to.

Close to paso robles, pismo, etc.
G e o r g e
San luis is not So cal, Sorry

cental Cal in 2011 biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
and the debating begins. sign up for the planning crew. have fun. stay friends.
G e o r g e
no debate

San luis would make a nice site for an event

in central Cal biggrin.gif
hydroliftin
QUOTE(dw914er @ Jul 18 2008, 01:07 PM) *

May I suggest San Luis Obispo?

Or Solvang. I used to go to Datsun Roadster meets there (when I had one). Cute town, and they would shut down a street for us for the show and shine. Great dirves in the area too.
carreraguy
QUOTE(hydroliftin @ Jul 18 2008, 01:41 PM) *

Or Solvang. I used to go to Datsun Roadster meets there (when I had one). Cute town, and they would shut down a street for us for the show and shine. Great drives in the area too.

agree.gif
Nice scenery, driving and winery tours - think "Sideways". Also Santa Barbara is about 40-45 minutes south down 101 - nice touristy things to see and do there.
Remember - Pinot Noir NOT Merlot!
JeffBowlsby
agree.gif Mmm....great idea Tom!
rick 918-S
I'm in. assimilate.gif
Carlitos Way

Or Solvang. I used to go to Datsun Roadster meets there (when I had one). Cute town, and they would shut down a street for us for the show and shine. Great dirves in the area too.

If I'm not mistaken... Willow Springs (race track) is also only a couple of of hours away from Solvang. Could be afun ride... especially if we take the "ring" route that the good Dr (and Howie RIP), shared with the ferrari crew more than once.
grantsfo
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Jul 18 2008, 03:06 PM) *

Or Solvang. I used to go to Datsun Roadster meets there (when I had one). Cute town, and they would shut down a street for us for the show and shine. Great drives in the area too.

agree.gif
Nice scenery, driving and winery tours - think "Sideways". Also Santa Barbara is about 40-45 minutes south down 101 - nice touristy things to see and do there.
Remember - Pinot Noir NOT Merlot!

I agree! Solvang, SLO or even Cambria would be great choices as opposed to LA or San Diego. Dont forget there is Buttonwillow raceway http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/ if you head further inland as well. Certainly will be bigger event as more people from SF Bay Area could make it.
markb
It sounds like Joe & the SoCal crew would really like it in LaLa next year, but how would it sound if we did it in Coastal CenCal the year after? Elliott, bondo, hwgunner, sww914, Cap'n Krusty, Z, myself, and more are in Coastal CenCal & could maybe come up with something, then go back up north the year after.
BTW, the very first West Coast Wramble was put on in Santa Maria by Cap'n Krusty back on 2000.
carreraguy
QUOTE(markb @ Jul 18 2008, 06:34 PM) *

It sounds like Joe & the SoCal crew would really like it in LaLa next year, but how would it sound if we did it in Coastal CenCal the year after? Elliott, bondo, hwgunner, sww914, Cap'n Krusty, Z, myself, and more are in Coastal CenCal & could maybe come up with something, then go back up north the year after.
BTW, the very first West Coast Wramble was put on in Santa Maria by Cap'n Krusty back on 2000.

Hi Mark:
That concept works for me.
As I recall, WCC05 was in SoCal and we had access to Willow Springs and the Streets was a fun track. I think some track time for the next WCR event would be nice since the last two GTG's did not.

Have you moved? Napa is CenCal? biggrin.gif

Later,
markb
Napa? I'm in Los Osos, right next to Morro Bay, west of San Luis Obispo. You must be thinking of tha McM guy. biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
it'll take me a week to get there

Are you planning major catastrophes and break-downs or do you plan on having that all behind you by then? biggrin.gif
RoadGlue
Santa Barbara, Solvang, etc are more appealing to me than Newport Beach, Orange County, Balboa Island, etc as they equal traffic, congestion, traffic, congestion, traffic, no good roads, traffic, blah. The northern part of Southern California is just prettier and the roads seem better for tours, etc.

We stayed in Cambria last year and loved it. That's definitely central cal though. If I recall, the original 914 club (not 914club.com) had a huge event in Cambria 15 or so years ago.

My 5 cents,
rhodyguy
read the whole reply eric slap.gif . my eldest son lives in the green triangle. i'll do the coast all the way from cresent city doing what ever i have to do to avoid SF traffic. that long central valley is no fun so i'd prefer to to only do it once. experienced SB during the afternoon commute in 05'. happy, happy, joy, joy.

randy, i think a local to me reporter had a friend with a 914 and made that run long ago. big write up in the paper. i think geoff still has a copy.

k
carreraguy
QUOTE(markb @ Jul 18 2008, 09:55 PM) *

Napa? I'm in Los Osos, right next to Morro Bay, west of San Luis Obispo. You must be thinking of tha McM guy. biggrin.gif

Yep, I was thinking of McMark - must have been that single malt last night!
JRust
AS nice as it would be to have one within an hour of where you live. Realistically we all will have to travel quite a bit. I like the Nor Cal specifically for distance. Still a nice 6-9 hours depending on where it is. I doubt very much I would make the trip south of LA. As much as I would like to that is just to far. With gas prices being what they are along with Hotels on the coast confused24.gif That will make for a very spendy trip. Probably not in the cards for me.

Who knows you can't please everyone. I'll have a pretty long drive either way. There will always be some ready to make the big trip. This years was nice at only 5 hours away. I don't mind traveling farther. Just doubt a So Cal will be in the cards. It will be a great time for everyone for sure. I love the idea of getting some track time drooley.gif . See what you guys come up with & I will do my best.

Kudos to whoever organizes the event. It is a huge undertaking & you rock for doing it aktion035.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.