Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Attention suspension experts!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
During my trip to the WCR I had a VERY loud squeek from the left rear suspension. After removing the shock, break and rear sway bar I can lift the trailing arm up with NO resistance and NO noise. Is it possible that it could be noisy only with the weight of the car on it? I bought some polygraphite bushings for it. Should I use them or opt for the more expensive roller bearing bushing, or poly bronze etc.? Are the rear roller bearing bushings even available any more?
Cheers, Elliot
Joe Bob
Does it wobble side to side? You need to disconnect the CV to find out....the bushing could be toast....I know the one on my recent blue car was....heard the same noise.
BMXerror
Was is one very loud squeak, or was it a continuous thing? Did it do it randomly or was it when you loaded that side?
I, at this very moment, am actually dealing with a broken left rear trailing arm (and several other things now) . It showed up as a small click when I made hard right hand corners, but I could see it being a squeak or creek if it got bad enough.
Mark D.
r_towle
If the squeak only occurs when the sway bar and shocks are hooked up your problem is probably in one of those units.

I would suspect the rear sway bar drop link.

The rear bearings are available from Shine Racing (www.srsvw.com)

Rich
sww914
Polygraphite bushings are well known for squeeking. They probably need to be greased. Neuspeed (H20 VW nuts) recommends their own grease for their bushings, it's just silicone grease.
I can't see any zerk fittings in your photo. You can either disassemble the suspension and grease things or add zerks and put about 25 tubes of grease in there the first time to fill up all the space and then a few squeezes of grease here and there as it needs it. I like to groove the polygraphite bushings and drill them so that the grease will make it everywhere.
There's no guarantee that the bushings are your problem but it seems likely to me. I've seen them not make any noise without the car's weight on the and then start squeeking again as soon as you put it on the ground.
The Elephant Racing bronze bushings don't squeek and neither do the roller bearings, but they both cost some real money compared to the polygraphite.
Personally I'd grease the existing bushings until I got sick of it and then I'd go spend some money.
I have the plastic bushings. I figure that the $1000.00 spent on bushings won't make me faster around the track. $1000.00 spent on more track time will.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(mikez @ Jul 19 2008, 05:31 PM) *

Does it wobble side to side? You need to disconnect the CV to find out....the bushing could be toast....I know the one on my recent blue car was....heard the same noise.

I think you're right. Even with the CV hooked up, if I apply a side load to the brake rotor I can see a slight movement. I think the bushings went to heaven.
PeeGreen 914
With everything you have into your car... and even though you are thinking of selling... I would put in the Elephant Racing poly bronze. Everyone I have talked to about using them say DO IT. They say it is great for a street or race car and adds so much to the suspension for feel. You car deserves it.

You should have just traded me biggrin.gif
Jeffs9146
Check to see if your suspension ear is ovaled!!

Jeffs9146
Repair if nessary!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.