Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Timing Help- Difficult Finding Proper Settings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
You guys have helped me quite a bit so I am going to shoot some more questions. I have searched but couldn't find everything that I need.

I need to set the timing on my engine. It was set perfectly however my friend set it up for me and I do not know the settings. I had to change a few parts and I inadvertently messed up the timing.

Can anybody give me basic instructions and timing settings for my car? I know the basic concept of timing with a timing light. I also know how to hook up the light, otherwise I am a timing virgin. I have read basic instructions on the internet however I am not really clear if I set the timing at idle or at a certain RPM. I am only having luck finding info on stock distributors- however mine is a Bosch 050 with Pertronix Ignitor.

Car info-
1973, 1.8l(not stock case), now engine is 2.4l.
Fan is from a 1.7l
Dist- Bosch 050 with Pertronix
Dual Weber 40idf's
MSD 6al ignition system

Thank you again,
Steve
tornik550
Also, what do I use the "advance degrees" dial on the back of the timing gun for?
wertygrog
I'm not sure what people recommend for initial advance with that distributor, but I can tell you that the advance degrees knob on the timing light lets you figure out your timing just by using your TDC mark (the white one). With the engine running at the desired rpm, just twist the knob around until the white TDC mark floats in the timing notch of your case. Then just read what the knob is pointing to and voila that's your timing for that rpm. You don't need to bother with any other timing marks on your flywheel that way.

good luck!
r_towle
Try to verify that you have a REAL TDC mark on the fan.

If so, at 3500 RPM set up at 28 degrees.
That is a good baseline.

Given your particular setup you will need to learn to read the plugs and configure your timing for your motor specifically.

In reality, there is no one answer to your setup (unless someone has that setup) it would all be guessing.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.