Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mounting fiberglass bumpers with brackets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
I have a set of fiberglass front and rear bumpers for the conversion car. Purchased from PMS. (Made by someone else, I'm sure).

Anyways, I need brackets that I can glass in so I can use the factory mounting holes.

Anyone know of a source?

it's not a simple 90 degree bend... it involves some weird angles.

Or can anyone post some pictures of another solution?

Thanks!
Eric_Shea
Mine are U-shaped mount similar in design to what's on the back of the turn signal bucket only vertical. Long enough to cover both bolt holes on the body and set (fiberglassed) in at an angle. Mine were from Rennspooge and the passengers side was set in backward...grrrrrrrrr ar15.gif

Like this only bigger wink.gif
_
|_

Hope that helps...

E.
echocanyons
getty has some in there catalog 50$ a pair
brant
I can't remember where...
but 10years ago, we bought ours seperate from the bumper.

they don't have to be glassed in if you run the bolt through the bumper and through the mount as a spacer.... I used a flat head carriage type bolt which doesn't even look bad.

I've got 2 new bumpers for the new car (also with no brackets) and I'm not going to buy them this time but rather just build something from sheet aluminum to be the spacer.

brant
Qarl
Getty Design isn't making them anymore... nor is GT racing...
Joe Bob
Aluminum channel stock....sawzall and a lot of fitment and swearing....
Howard
A job I haven't done since this morning! here's the link to the actual part: http://gettydesign.com/Catalog/2003%20Onli...alog%20v1.0.pdf

But the bumpers are so light you can just use 1/16 x 1 1/2 aluminum bar stock. Any hardware store will have, and you can cut it with tin snips and bend it with pliers.

The bumpers are fragile so when you get hit the aluminum will 'give' a bit and bumper has a better chance of surviving.

I glassed 'em to bumpers.
URY914
Damn, I just cut mine out of my front bumper. It was steel flat bar 1/8" x 1" with two tapped holes for the mounting bolts and glassed into the bumper. See if AIR in LA will send you a set.

Paul
URY914
If you can't find a set. I would try make a "buck" out of stroform to get the shape right. It's easy enough to cut and shape and test fit it until it works. Once you get it right, make a aluminum or steel piece.

Paul
campbellcj
I have a front bumper from GT that has built-in f/g "tabs" in approximately the location where the stock bracket and dogbones sit.

I riveted in some "rivnuts" and use a stock-ish bolt on setup. Piece of cake. I may actually glass it into the spoiler and convert the whole front to dzus fasteners shortly though.

On the rear, GT supplied the alum brackets which are kind of "L" shaped. They would be easy to dupe with a cheap sheet metal brake and jigsaw or cutoff wheel.
maf914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 28 2004, 07:03 PM)
If you can't find a set. I would try make a "buck" out of stroform to get the shape right. It's easy enough to cut and shape and test fit it until it works. Once you get it right, make a aluminum or steel piece.

Paul

That sounds like a good idea. Perhaps you could form the foam to the right shape, glass it, then glass it to the bumper, and use it for the mount. Figuring out how to locate the bolts might be a trick though.

Mike
maf914
Karl,

Hmm... Didn't you start out with metal bumpers? If so, do you still have them and want to get rid of them?

Mike
Qarl
no metal bumpers. I started out with big ugly rubber ones (1975)
maf914
Yeah, I remember the 75, but I thought on your site you had some photos of a test fit with steel bumpers. Might have been brain fade.

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.