Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey /6 guys 911 2.4 engine question(s)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
The short version:

I have a old 914 FP race car that is "this close" to having the /6 conversion completed. The engine is a 2.4 911 T with carbs. All new -12 areo quip lines, new oil tank, thermosta, and remote oil filter console. Car is at Brad Mayuers shop.

Here is the issue with everything hooked up Oil will build up in the crank case to the point the oil tank starts to suck air and the over flow tank fills with oil. When drained, over 1 1/2 gallons of oil comes out of the crank case. Now with the remote oil filter, oil cooler and such bypassed and the line connected back to the oil tank the oil flow is better, not great, but better. When drained about 3 quarts of oil comes out of the crank case. Seems to Brad that I have a scavage pump problem, yes? Is there anything else that we should look for? If Brad is stumped, then I sure the hell have no clue.

I will not take this engine apart. If it comes to that then my /6 project is done for a while until I build up enough funds to get another engine. sad.gif

headbang.gif
Root_Werks
More info:

What type of oil tank? You mentioned remote filter etc. Describe your system as best you can for us. It makes a difference.

If you have a cooler, there should be a thermostat that bypasses it until needed. Your remote components might be funky? The oil tank could also be an issue.
sixnotfour
take the sump plate off and have a look see, at the the pickup tube on the pump
TimT
at the the pickup tube on the pump

Yes sounds like a scavenge problem.

A few years ago on my car the pickup broke off the body of the oil pump while I was changing the oil. I was able to jb weld the tube back on after super cleaning and drying the oil pump body with brake cleaner.
shoguneagle
Brad Mayeur is one of the most experienced Porsche guys in the Mid West. You have taken it to the right shop for maintenance. I would not rule out the engine yet. The guys on this board will provide info and advise.

What exactly is Brad telling you??
GaroldShaffer
Brad is telling me he doesn't know why this is happening. He feels it is the scavage pump, but isn't 100% sure. I trust Brad & Michael.

More info:

What type of oil tank? You mentioned remote filter etc. Describe your system as best you can for us. It makes a difference.

If you have a cooler, there should be a thermostat that bypasses it until needed. Your remote components might be funky? The oil tank could also be an issue.

I have a PMS 16 quart oil tank (#OIL 08-0011-DB), PMS Remote oil filter console (#OIL09-0304), using a PMS 180 Degree MOCAL OT2 type thermostat (#OIL-12THER).

This pitcures below shows the way it was setup when the /4 was it. EVERYTHING for the oil system is NEW It is setup the same way, but with bigger oil tank, lines, oil filter, ..... The only unknown is the engine itself. It runs great, just doesn't have the butt to pump the oil through the filter, cooler and back to the tank, or so it seems.
Justinp71
Well in basic principal either what ever pushs the oil out of the motor (scavange pump) is not working or there is a blockage in the oil passage going to the oil tank.

Maybe drain the oil lines from the motor exit to the oil tank and see if you can push air thru them. Would it be possible to have a defective thermostat or something?
elmonte
Not to state the obvious, but do you have the sump plate in the correct orientation,the drain plug can't be under the pump pickup. Just a thought.

Cheers
Root_Werks
Might not be the right oil tank? Last 4cyl engine wasn't really a true dry sump like the 6cyl is. They need a rather large pick up line.

Others have mentioned the pick up tube. I would check that as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.