Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No wonder my speedo doesn't work...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
So I was checking my wiring to make sure everything was good and clean. Just doing some preventative maintenance and such as I install my new JWest fuse panel and fog ligh flash. As I get ready to pull my gauges out and check all the wiring back there I undo the speedo that hasn't worked for a while. Not that I really care blink.gif I just drive by my tach anyways. Anyho... I see a portion of the speedo cable is still in the gauge. So I guess the gauge is fine and it is just a matter of a $25 cable piratenanner.gif . So I got the cable and and wondering what tricks you guys have come up with to get the new cable in.

I am thinking of tieing the new to the old and just pulling it through. WHat did you do? drunk.gif
type47
in the back dark recesses of my memory i seem to remember that a spark plug thread is the same as the speedo cable thread and you saw off the thread part of the spark plug and use the threaded part to connect the new cable to the old and (probably electrical tape the connection) pull it through.
PeeGreen 914
confused24.gif I'm not too sure I follow that.
Tom
Jon,
Same thing happened to mine a couple of years ago. I got some # 18 gage wire and wrapped it to the speedo cable, pulled the cable out to the rear, undid the #18 wire , tied it to the new cable and pulled it back in carefully. Worked just great. I did wrap some electrical tape around where I tied the wire to the cable to allow it to not get caught as easily.
Tom
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(type47 @ Jul 23 2008, 07:51 PM) *

in the back dark recesses of my memory i seem to remember that a spark plug thread is the same as the speedo cable thread and you saw off the thread part of the spark plug and use the threaded part to connect the new cable to the old and (probably electrical tape the connection) pull it through.

It's not.

The Cap'n
effutuo101
Hey Jon, I have done it 5 or 6 times. Let me know when and we can get it done in about 20 minutes. Then you won't know what to do with yourself.
watsonrx13
Jon, it's not quite as simple as pulling the old one out and pulling the new one in. Here's the steps I take:

Remove the center console.

Remove the center tunnel carpet, center arm rest and remove the access panel at the rear of the center tunnel.

The speedo cable is normally held in place with several of the wire tabs that hold the main wiring harness in the center tunnel and on the front firewall, loosen these wire tabs.

Pull the cable out from the firewall in the engine compartment, being careful that the cable doesn't get hung up in the center tunnel section.

Disconnect from the tranny and pull cable from the engine bar.

Install the new one.

Tape the 'ring' on the speedo end of the cable with electrical tape.

Feed the new cable in from the engine compartment so that it just clears the firewall.

Go into the interior and pull the cable from the access panel at the rear of the center tunnel.

Feed it up into the area of a center tunnel where the main wiring harness lays.

Feed the cable underneath the cross bar, where the front of the seats attach.

Pull the cable long enough to attach to the speedo.

Remove the tape, but remember to keep the ring close to the end of the cable, as it will slid when you try to attach it at the speedo.

To attach to the speedo, I have the instrument cluster pull out so that the bottom section is against the steering column and the top pivoted towards yourself.

Once I can see the cable, reach up underneath the dash, grap the cable, with the ring, then push the instrument cluster back in place, while trying to feel where the cable and speedo connect.

Carefully screw the ring onto the speedo.

Go back undereath the car and feed the tranny end of the cable through the engine bar.

Attach cable to the tranny.

Test the speedo. If it's working correctly, tighten the wire tabs, replace the access panel, carpet, center arm rest, center console, instrument cluster.

Here's a shot of the center tunnel where the main wires and speedo cable lay.

BTW, if you know anyone that has small hands, they should be able to help with the attachment of the cable to the speedo. Also having a second person helps alot.

Good luck...

IPB Image

-- Rob
PeeGreen 914
Thanks for your pointers guys. Now that I got the JWest fuse board and fog light flash piratenanner.gif . Now it is time to get the new speedo in. Chris says he's a pro so he is coming to help biggrin.gif

Fortunately I don't need to pull my interior apart as it is an AX car and has no interior.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.