Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: grind into first, second when hot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
Why after adjusting the clutch to a point where when engaging into first or second there are no grinds on a cold start....
but after the car is hot it begins to grind in first second, and third does not engage as well
does the cable expand this much from the heat??
jasons
I have the same problem. It doesn't grind, but it fights me for first when hot. I have to do the 2nd back to first thing. Or slip the clutch while I'm trying to engage first.

Mine does this the worst when its completely heat soaked. I do have a eurorace header which cooks my cable. Even though its insulated with thermal wrap, its still a nuisance.

I've been able to correct it some by adjusting my shifter, but I can't find a "sweet spot" where everything works perfect. If I get first to work good, my 3rd to 4th shift suffers. If I get my 3rd to 4th shift to work, my 1st gear suffers. My linkage is all rebuilt. My console bushing is the PMS bronze unit. And, I have a Rennshifter.
So.Cal.914
Story of my life. I think the cable streches when it gets hot.
pete-stevers
is it the cable, the shift rod, or the tranny itself that reacts to the heat??
jasons
My guess would be the cable. After thinking about it, I'm tempted to adjust my clutch a little tight so when/if the cable stretches, its adjusted right. But, I would hate to put excess tension on the cable when its just sitting in the garage. I've also considered trying a Terrycable.
Bartlett 914
My first thought was about the oil. Seems to me that this is the most temperature sensitive component.
Justinp71
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Jul 28 2008, 10:43 AM) *

Why after adjusting the clutch to a point where when engaging into first or second there are no grinds on a cold start....
but after the car is hot it begins to grind in first second, and third does not engage as well
does the cable expand this much from the heat??

Did you pull the cable in and make the clutch release closer to the top of the pedal? Maybe you need to pull the trans out and put a washer behind the fork pivot ball so you have more fork travel to use.

I just recently did this on my car and my clutch releases about midway and so if the cable stretches I still have plenty of room. biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Where does the clutch disengage in the pedal stroke? It should dissengauge in the 1st 1/4 of pedal travel. You should have no more than 3/4" of play in the pedal when it is fully out.

Cables do stretch over time, and with heat and you may need a new one. I like the more robust Terry cables.

Has your flywheel ever been machined?
orthobiz
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 29 2008, 02:39 PM) *

Where does the clutch disengage in the pedal stroke? It should dissengauge in the 1st 1/4 of pedal travel. You should have no more than 3/4" of play in the pedal when it is fully out.

These conversations always confuse me and I've adjusted my cable many times over the years and still don't know the answer.

When you say it should disengage in the first 1/4 of pedal travel, does that mean that your foot is off the pedal and only 1/4 of the way down, the engine will spin and the wheels will not?

And what exactly is "play" in the pedal. When your foot is off the pedal, is it the amount you can pull "up" (towards the driver) or is the amount you can gently push "down" (toward the floor) before your foot feels any resistance as the cable begins to take up tension?

And when your foot is totally pushed into the floorboard, as you let up on the clutch, when (distance or percentage of travel?) should the clutch begin to engage?

I will be forever grateful for the answers, O Doc of Evil!

Paul
Dr Evil
Within the 1st 1/4 of travel is the 1st 1/4 of travel if you take the whole of travel and divide it by 1/4ths. So, by the time you have covered 1/4 of the total travel during depressing the pedal, the clutch should be released.

Given the previous, when releasing the clutch pedal you should fell the clutch grab at about 3/4 travel on the way back up.

Play refers to neutral movement. You should be able to move the pedal up and down with no resistance (it should be loose) about 3/4 inch. The pedal will ultimately rest at the low end of this travel so you should be able to pull it back towards the aft of the car 3/4".

Clear as mud?
JWest
I think your bronze bushing is binding. You can't get clean shifting full left and right of the pattern at the same time because the bushing is limiting the off-axis rotation of the shift rod. The factory plastic bushing is hourglass shaped to prevent binding.
jasons
QUOTE(James Adams @ Jul 29 2008, 07:05 PM) *

I think your bronze bushing is binding. You can't get clean shifting full left and right of the pattern at the same time because the bushing is limiting the off-axis rotation of the shift rod. The factory plastic bushing is hourglass shaped to prevent binding.

Were talking about the console bushing correct? #55?

Click to view attachment
JWest
QUOTE(jasons @ Jul 29 2008, 09:36 PM) *

Yes, but a bronze bushing at the firewall can have the same effect.
jasons
If the factory console bushing is eccentric, will it orient itself correctly? I would imagine so, since most tranny consoles are so wallowed out. I have a new factory one, I will have to try that when it cools down here. I can see how a little lash there, would make a difference.
JWest
QUOTE(jasons @ Jul 29 2008, 10:05 PM) *

If the factory console bushing is eccentric, will it orient itself correctly? I would imagine so, since most tranny consoles are so wallowed out. I have a new factory one, I will have to try that when it cools down here. I can see how a little lash there, would make a difference.

It's not eccentric, the sides of the inner hole splay out from the center to allow the shift rod to pivot in the hole.
jasons
QUOTE(James Adams @ Jul 29 2008, 08:29 PM) *

It's not eccentric, the sides of the inner hole splay out from the center to allow the shift rod to pivot in the hole.

OK, I'm with you now.
orthobiz
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 29 2008, 08:34 PM) *

Within the 1st 1/4 of travel is the 1st 1/4 of travel if you take the whole of travel and divide it by 1/4ths. So, by the time you have covered 1/4 of the total travel during depressing the pedal, the clutch should be released.

Given the previous, when releasing the clutch pedal you should fell the clutch grab at about 3/4 travel on the way back up.

Play refers to neutral movement. You should be able to move the pedal up and down with no resistance (it should be loose) about 3/4 inch. The pedal will ultimately rest at the low end of this travel so you should be able to pull it back towards the aft of the car 3/4".

Clear as mud?

Yes, doc, thanks. What's really clear is that my clutch engages/disengages WAY too close to the floor! Looks like the pedal should engage up near the top. Thus, my clutch should start grabbing more proximal than distal!

I'll readjust my clutch and then play with the free play.

Paul
Dr Evil
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 30 2008, 11:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 29 2008, 08:34 PM) *

Clear as mud?

Yes, doc, thanks. What's really clear is that my clutch engages/disengages WAY too close to the floor! Looks like the pedal should engage up near the top. Thus, my clutch should start grabbing more proximal than distal!

I'll readjust my clutch and then play with the free play.

Paul

As you adjust the clutch, the free play is also adjusted. When you are under your car, you should not be able to get much varis/valgas deflection in the cable. To get such is a sure indicator that your cable is too slack. What I recommend is to tighten the cable until it is taught, go and check the pedal play, loosen/tighten as indicated.
DNHunt
Proximal=toward the center
Distal=away from the center
Varus=bent inward
Valgus=bent outward

Enough you guys, it's a car for heaven sakes
Dr Evil
He started it with the proximal/distal talk poke.gif
VaccaRabite
If you have a EuroRace header, it has been suggested to relocate the clutch pedal under the header rather then above it. That should help with the heat issues associated. There are a thread on this mod earlier.

Zach
Dr Evil
You mean clutch cable, not pedal, right? blink.gif
jasons
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 31 2008, 04:23 PM) *

If you have a EuroRace header, it has been suggested to relocate the clutch pedal under the header rather then above it. That should help with the heat issues associated. There are a thread on this mod earlier.

Zach

Do you mean the trick where you rotate the cable stop/pulley mount downward?

Mine is above the header, but the way its routed is pretty clean. It never touches the header and its well insulated.
orthobiz
OK. Doc is in medical school. He admits he should be studying. But he's hanging on the board.

So, in a somewhat selfish move, I elect to get the info I need AND contribute to Evil's education.

I'm just a nice guy. what can I say?

Paul
r_towle
yo,
da cable be wrong...turn the nut till its right.

Rich
pete-stevers
does this issue have anything to do with the heat of the tranny?, or the fluid in the tranny??
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 29 2008, 11:39 AM) *

Cables do stretch over time, and with heat and you may need a new one. I like the more robust Terry cables.

Has your flywheel ever been machined?

If the flywheel has been machined (most have) the pivot (throwout arm) must be shimmed out correctly too!!

another damn cause of goofy shifting that has to be addressed for everything to work right... mad.gif chair.gif
pete-stevers
i was hoping not to drop the motor this winter..again
and maybe just stick to flaring the car for a winters project....
i will tighten the nuts up for now...
Dr Evil
If you are running out of thread on the cable end, which is a common occurrence, you can put a small piece of metal tubing on the end of the cable between the wedge block and the adjusting nut.

You do not need to drop the engine to remove the tranny! Its easier not to.
wertygrog
not to hijack, but it seems to me with this clutch design, the throwout bearing is ALWAYS pressed up against the pressure plate? And the clutch pedal has a spring that pushes it towards the floor, right? So by free play of 3/4" you mean the pedal only feels resistance from this pedal spring and not any pressure plate action...I think.

I kept tightening the nut until the cable was taut but the TO bearing wasn't starting to compress the PP. The clutch pedal cannot be lifted any more, but does depress about 1/2" before I feel that the PP is starting to be compressed. Am I doing this wrong?

thanks for any help!!
Dr Evil
You did the adjustment right, but your theory is off a bit. There is no spring in the clutch pedal assembly itself. The only spring you feel is the spring of the pressure plate. Thus, you tighten the cable to make the TO bearing stay against the plate, but not so tight that it is hard against the plate (as demonstrated by the 3/4-1/2" of wiggle in the pedal).

Is that clearer? confused24.gif
wertygrog
yes, thanks! biggrin.gif
rufio0205
i'm glad you guys are hashing this out because i'm going to need to readjust my clutch and shim up the flywheel because it is getting flippin ridiculous to grind gears.
Dr Evil
You dont shim the flywheel, you put a washer under the clutch fork pivot ball. You will also need to put some Teflon tape on the pivot ball threads when you shim it as it will leak oil otherwise.
Did your mechanic adjust this for you yet?
rufio0205
he adjusted the clutch but i have the same problem when the car has been warmed up...it tends to grind when the car is warm but i experience no problems when the car is cold.

i didnt mean shim the flywheel i meant put the washer under the fork pivot ball. smile.gif
rufio0205
QUOTE(jasons @ Jul 29 2008, 10:36 PM) *

QUOTE(James Adams @ Jul 29 2008, 07:05 PM) *

Click to view attachment

where do i get a bronze bushing, and what is the part number?
Dr Evil
Thomas, I suspect that your clutch is not adjusted correctly = cable tight enough when cold, too loose when hot. I have posted above how to check it. It is easy and you should have no problem doing it yourself.

When does the clutch disengage in the pedal travel when cold? Hot? I bet they are different.

How much play do you have with in your pedal at the top when cold? Hot? Again, I would bet they are different.

Your cable should be adjusted so that it meets the aforementioned criteria when it is hot. Thus, at its hottest and slackest it should have no more than 3/4" pedal slop and should disengage the clutch in the bottom of the 1st 1/4 of pedal travel.

The bronze bushing at the fire wall is an after market part and is meant to replace #41. James sells these.
drewvw
Mine used to do that when my engine ran really hot/lean, even after I adjusted the clutch. I tuned it so it runs rich and operates at about ~210 degrees (oil temp) and it hasn't done it since.

This probably isn't applicable to the situation but...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.