Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 Engine work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MattR
I am going to be getting a '73 2.0 914 very soon and I am going to rebuild the engine, and I am looking for some suggestions. The body and interior are in very good condition, so most of my attention will be spent on engine work.

First, I am running duel 40 idf carbs (included with car), but I need manifolds and linkage. CB Performance has a nice package, is that quality stuff?

My heads need to be rebuilt (burned valve from the PO). I am in socal and rimco was suggested to me in santa ana. Anyone better in the LA area?

I have no idea if the engine has been modified already, but what are the advantages of mechanical vs hydrolic lifters? I know mechanical are noiser, need to be adjusted, and perform better without valve float, but is there anything else I should know? Also, the cam. I was thinking webcam lifeters and cam, but what grind?

Any suggestions on pistons? I probably dont need forged, I was thinking hypereucetic (sp?), but Im not familiar with vendors. And what compression ratio?

What are the disadvantages of boring the engine to like 96mm? And what is a reccomended stroke for my application?

I am planning on this being a regular daily driver street car with an occasional autocross down the line. I am a college student so I want to do as much work myself to keep the price down.

Anything else I should know? Thanks in advance!
Eric_Shea
Hi Matt,

Welcome to the fold.

Some will probably tellyou to ditch the carbs. but it sounds like you'll be doing some engine rebuilding. I'd just recommend to have a cam for them if you're going that route. Web has some specific grinds for carbs.

CB has been a fairly reputable outfit from what I know.

Don't know about the headwork, I'm into 6's but you'll get plenty of suggestions here.

Try searching for threads on your individual questions (all good BTW) a lot of this stuff has been covered.

E.
Aaron Cox
i have a 2l carbed motor. runs good. Definetely invest in the cb performance linkage and manifolds. i bought the kit with the tall manifolds, and aircleaners that incorporated the linkage mounts, and are offset like the headss are,
MattR
Yeah, that CB linkage and manifold set looks like a good deal. This is probably a stupid question, but whats the difference between the T-3 and T-1 for the manifolds?

I did a search for lifters and cams, and it seems like everyone has a different application then me. Maybe I wasnt looking hard enough...
Aaron Cox
914's are type IV's (like vw busses) <--- what you want to buy.

Type I's are beetle and ghia engines
Type III's are square/notch/fastback engines
TheCabinetmaker
Hey Matt, got any pics of that car? We love car pics here. What color is it? What kinda wheels?

Good luck
MattR
Here is a pic from the PO. The blue is pretty nice, just needs to be polished, but I am going to sand that off and repaint and take off the vinyl pillars and match the color. The original color is signal orange, which looks very nice, but I am heavily considering going to Irish Green or Silver Metallic. I know Irish Green isnt a stock 73 color, but I like the color a lot. They are rivera wheels. They look nice. I am partial to fuchs on porsches, but I dont think im going to spend the money to replace the wheels. The car is almost completley rust free (a few small spots he is going to fix before I get it), and the body is straight with good glass and interior. I am anxious to start the project.

This will be my second project. My first was a 78 Fiat 124 Spider. It was a nice car, but parts were expensive, maintence was impossible, and it wouldnt pass smog in CA!

So, T= Type... that makes sense. Brain fart I guess...
Aaron Cox
wheres the passenger seat? not a bad car smilie_pokal.gif
Eric_Shea
Beaut smilie_pokal.gif

Good luck with it. Again, welcome to the board.

Careful... there's a bunch of weirdos here w00t.gif lol3.gif
MattR
He took the seat out for pics so I could see that there was a rust spot on the floorboards. The seat is installed now, though.

There cant possibly be more wierdos here then the fiat boards...

Thanks for the support!
Bleyseng
Triad Performance also has a stick dual carb linkage (Dave races 914-support his habit)

Geoff
seanery
Matt,

I've got a 2.0 with Euro Pistons and a Webcam 494 w/mechanical lifters (from Webcam) and dual Weber 40s. Its a nice combo for the street, good horsepower and great torque.
MattR
That webcam combo looks good. The numbers are a LOT different then V8s. When I was looking at cams for a Ford V8, .500 lift was mild. And, any thoughts on mechanical versus hydrolic?

Who makes good pistons? Any thoughts on boring the engine to maybe 96mm?
seanery
mechanical on the lifters. Ceramic seems to be the ticket.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.