Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Car Audio
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Hi,
For my sons car he has built a pretty big sub woofer into a center console.
He would like to run TWO amps to power the sub woofer.

He has these two amps . He got both at different places years ago and would now like to use both of them to power just the sub.

So, how can this be done? Is it possible to run the sub with two amps at the same time?
Please explain (more than "just bridge them")

Thanx
Rich
Demick
I don't think so, unless he has a dual voice coil sub (and even then, it's probably not a good idea).

Demick
McMark
Newer amps have a special terminal for syncing multiple amps so he waveforms match. This sounds like a recipe for blown components.
RJMII
I agree with Mark, sounds like a recipe for blown components.

It takes a special setup of amps and sub to power one sub with two of them.

He'd be better off getting one amp that has enough power output for the car.

In DVC setup:

each coil has to have an identical signal to the other. same power, same wattage, same polarity.

If one coil has a different amount of power, or the polarity is flipped, it will cause a variation in the electromagnetic field and will either have terrible distortion or tear itself apart.

In SVC setup:

The amps would have to be rated to handle being run along with another amp. The increase in the amount of power going through the coil causes that the amp sees less resistance, extra help, yadda yadda and it shorts the amp out.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.